hormonal? territorial?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosey

Reaction score
Hi everyone, it's been a long time. Been so busy with life!

Spring has taken a step back. He doesn't like us picking him up at all.He grunts and just not happy. I need to pick him up to put him in theplaypen so he can run around.
Tonight I went to change his food bowls and stuff and he lunged at mewith his front paws. I don't know if it's because it's so late or if heis being territorial. (he is neutered)

He's molting. Is this just because it's the season for molting or because of stress?

I just want to make sure he is a happy bunny.

How old is he? Has he been neutered?

he is neutered and he is probably around 7-8 months old.

I've never heard of bunnies moulting throughstress, but maybe it can happen, I'm not sure. It could easily be theseason that is making him moult, although I don't know where you are,so it's hard to say.

When he lunged at you, where did you approach him from? in front of him? above him?

Maybe he felt threatened somehow.

Stress can cause rabbits to moult as anyonewho's taken a rabbit to a vet will tell you, there is this phenomenathat seems to occur when you pull your rabbit out of the carrier, yourrabbit that was not shedding at home is suddenly losing clumps of fur.;)Seriously, it happens quite often!

My opinion is that this is the 'teen years'. It normally occurs alittle sooner but one of my boys didn't hit it until her was 11 monthsold (neutered 6 months prior) so it can and does vary. He may beneutered but unfortunately that isn't a miracle and while it can helpin almost every case and it stops it in some case, it isn't a guarantee.

It is a territorial thing for sure. There are a few things you can dobut sometimes it's just a wait it out type of thing but the good newsis that is almost always passes within a few months with consistenthandling. One, try spraying him with a water bottle when he lunges atyou but this may not make it better and if he views you as a threat hemay still lunge or attack. Two, try wearing leather gloves if he'sbiting or if you're worried he might, this prevents you from gettinghurt but you must train yourself to resist the urge to pull back, heshould learn that he wont get you to leave by attacking you. Three,don't reach in his cage while he is in it, it's his territory andyou're invading it. Four, some rabbits get territorial if their cage istoo small. If you expand their territory then it can help curbor lessen the territorial problems.

Now I used method 2 because my rabbits need to be picked up to be putin their run as well soit was importantto teachthem that I would not back off if they attacked me. It worked and now Ican reach in their cage and they could care less if I've climbed intotheir cage but they do get very curious. It takes time and patience.

Also, try using a reward system, start by putting your hand onlyslightly in the cage, if he doesn't attack, give him some of hisfavorite treat. He needs to associate your hand to good things. I alsohad the "well if you don't come or you attack me then obviously youdon't want to run" attitude and you would be surprised how fast theylearn to greet you at the door and to like you. It took about 3 weeksfor one of my bucks to learn that if he didn't come to the door or ifhe attacked me, he wouldn't get to go play in the run.

I'm in Oklahoma so I think the molt is because it's getting warmer because he has been molting for a bit.

Thanks for the pointers. I realise it is his territory. He is in agolden retriever dog crate so I don't think it's too small for him.

I approached him from the front too, picking up his toys and cleaningup his cage. I'll keep at it. This week has been hectic with finals andgraduations and we haven't been able to let him out like we used to andhe's probably feeling that.

What kind of treat can I give him? I'm going to pick him up, put him inthe run and then give him a treat so he'll know that he gets one whenhe gets in there. And we'll take it from there.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
Stress can cause rabbits to moult as anyone who's taken arabbit to a vet will tell you, there is this phenomena that seems tooccur when you pull your rabbit out of the carrier, your rabbit thatwas not shedding at home is suddenly losing clumps of fur.;)Seriously, it happens quite often!
Yep, bunnies definately shed because of stress. I thoughtCharlie was going to go bald after this last vet visit because he JUSTfinished his seasonal molt and all of a sudden he was blowing handlfulsof fur again.

Anyway - MBB has givin excellent advice. I do all of the samewith Charlie. Heis also neutered but boxes me everynow and then when I'm annoying him somehow. And he bites and scratcheslike a devil when I pick him up.

He's gotten better becuase we don't react to it when he scratches anddigs. Well, we swear and curse, but we don't put himdown. we don't want him to learn that that behavior will gethim what he wants. Now we pick him up to give him all histreats, so when we pick him up now, 9 out of 10 times he won't scratchand bite because he thinks he is getting treats. :)

Latest posts

Back