Hormonal Bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shananagrams

Reaction score
Hi all,

So my youngest Lucy is to be spayed around March. However, this previous week she has taken a turn from being her sweet little self to a raging hormonal bun. I know she is coming into that age. However, it is a few months before her spay. Anything I can do to help her calm down a bit until then? Or will I just be dealing with a rabbit that has the attitude of a thirteen year old girl!

n4gtj6.jpg

Sincerely,
the mother of one sassy bun.

When my bun first got hormonal it was as if overnight she turned into a raging monster bun. Which was sorta cute. I think when the hormones first hit their system it can be a bit overwhelming. She clearly didnt want a lot of attention so I just let her do her thing and not annoy her and make it worse. After a rough few weeks everything seemed to settle down. Now she'll have crazy aggressive days every month or so and her personality has matured a bit but she's gotten much calmer and definitely gone back to normal (if a more hormonal normal). I'd just be as accommodating as possible and not annoy her and love her as usual when she comes over to say hi, and hopefully you'll have the same experience and see it settle down after a few weeks. If any specific issues come up, just deal with them as needed. I guess it's the same as humans - thirteen year old girls turn into little monsters for a few months, and them calm down when everything settles

It's so tough to give her her space when two days ago she was binkying around me and giving kisses, but I suppose she will have her emotional moments until she is spayed.

But, you are right, it's best to give her all the space she needs. She has been sitting in the corner of her open cage for most of the last two days and isnt letting people put food in her dish without lunging at me. Poor little bun taken over by her hormones. :grumpy:

How long have you had Penny with you? Could that maybe be affecting Lucy's recent behavior?

It's amazing how they just switch on! One day my Faith was litterbox trained, the next she was peeing and pooing everywhere! And honking/circling hubby's feet, lol. I was very greatful for the spay :)

Of course this is assuming there's nothing medical going on, or anything else like JBun mentioned.

Last edited:
Penny has been here of about three weeks. Lucy was very territorial the first week, but she could care less about penny now.

She is about 11 months old right now.

She is old enough to be spayed right now. You don't have to wait til march.

Also, where is the new bun housed? Can lucy smell/ see her? Even though she doesn't seem to "care" it could be a combination of hormones and new bun. At 11 months old she is way past sexual maturity and the surge of hormones. So I'd be willing to bet the new bun has brought on a bit of this since she isn't spayed she is acting out of instinct to protect her domain.

Lucy and Penny can smell and hear each other since I live in a studio apartment. I've done my best to cover the bottom part of the room divider and the gate so they dont see each other, but obviously they know they still exist.

I know Lucy can be spayed now but the funds are not available until about March.

I do think Lucy is trying to protect her domain, she leaves droppings next to the divider every so often.

Sherbotsky was the same way, sweet and charming one day and then aggressive and crazy the next! That lasted for just a few days with the soft honking, circling, and lunging. She would also sit at my hubby's feet and just stare at him. It was adorable! He was actually scared to let her run around because he knew she would be all over him. However the last few days she's been back to her normal self. The really weird part is that during the hormone surge she was totally calm when picked up but now that she's calm again she is back to squirming and hating it. Her spay appointment is Wednesday and I'm one nervous bunmom! Maybe Lucy will also calm down for a few days at a time? It's only been one week for us since the switch flipped so I don't know if it comes in cycles or not. Hang in there is all I can say. I also found that pushing her head down lightly and rubbing her nose (she LOVES nose rubs) kept her calm for a few minutes at a time. Good luck!

Totally get the money thing. I think it's advised to spay before one year for health reasons, and if you're really going crazy with her and have a good vet, maybe you could call them to explain and ask for a payment plan?

Latest posts

Back