Hopes Medical Thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And yes, I do go for the most needy.

I was'nt even planning on owning a rabbit when I saw Milly, but I knew no one else would care for him so I brought him home. As you all know I ende up loving him more that I could of ever imagined.

With Hope I'm not sure what made me get her. I was deciding between her and a black mini lop and it was the mini lop I wanted the most. But for some reason I went and got Hope instead, as soon as I saw her living conditions I brought her home. As far as I know the lady is still holding the mini lop for me, I havent phoned to say give him to another person. Maybe I will get him too, I have the space.

Can a rabbit die from pinworms? I would say it would be extremely unlikely. Pinworms are one of the more docile worms they can have. Now something like hookworms in conjunction with other health problems might cause a serious problem. Mostly pinworms seem to cause loss of fur, skin irritation especiallythe hind quarterand itching.

Randy

If you are struggling with finances try contacting the PDSA - they will offer help with vets bills if you qualify. I don't know what their criteria is but it's worth a shot if you feel Hope could do with seeing a vet.

We're all praying for you & Hope.

Maybe I should stop trying to work out what happened to Milly, it would never bring him back even if I did know.

I think you have to be on income support or something for the PDSA. I will phone my vets, I'm sure they will let people pay later. I think there is a sign up saying so, I am just being too proud I guess.

You'll never really know for sure what happened to Milly, and it will probably be more torturous to you to keep trying to find different things when no one knows and no one can tell you.

But I do understand that the need to understand, the 'what if's, the guilt and all that comes with grief, but hopefully in timeit will lessen.

It must be awful not knowing what happened to Milly but if you keep searching for something you will never rest. Look to the positives. He had a fantastic life full of love with you and as you have said before, it would have been unlikely that someone else would have taken him on. So you actually saved him, you gave him a good life while he was with you and we can all see from your photos that he was a very happy little bunny.

Don't be too proud to ask for help at your vets, we all go through tough times financially and those darn expensive vet bills don't help either!

Don't ever be sorry. Anyone who has lost someone they deeply cared about knows how hard it is, so if you need to keep talking, and releasing it, then go for it; better to release it than let it build up.

Moominmoo is right. And this is the right place to talk about it all because we all followed Milly's story and we all understand what it's like. And I'm sure you will love Milly forever and a day, he'll always be in your heart. I know it sounds soppy but the great thing about hearts is that they can never have enough love, they always expand so you can love many, especially rabbits.

It does'nt sound soppy it's true. :)

Hope is still a little bloated and gassey. She is still eating hay and drinking, very active and poops are still normal shape.

I will give her a last dose of simeticone before bed and she how she is in the morning.

She has been very affectionate today, the naughty girl is making me love her. :)

Hope still feels a little bloated this morning, it could just be her tummy is full and not starved as before. Maybe I'm confusing the two.

I can't feel any gas but her tummy is making watery gurgleing sounds.

She is still eating her hay, drinking and her droppings are normal.

I will just feed hay again today.

Providing she has no problems when should I start introducing pellets?

Gosh I'm no expert on this but I would err on the side of caution and stick to hay for a little while longer before re-introducing food. I believe it takes a while for the gut to stabalise.

I agree, probably better to be over cautious, but again, I'm not expert.

Ok thanks :)

She is trying to scavenge bits of food the guinea pigs are flicking out of there cages!

I've just give her more oat hay as she is'nt eating much meadow hay.

Hope has been stable all day, when is it safe to introduce pellets?

She now weighs 456g, so she has gained about 28g in four days, do you think thats ok weight gain or not enough?

It sounds like you are doing a great job.....I have a couple of emaciated cottontails that need some weight put on them if you are up to it. My suggestion on the pellets is to start introducing them a little at a time as soon as her gut is stable....and it sounds like it is.

Randy

Poor Hope is bloated and a little gassey again!

All I have given her is 2 tiny pinches of pellets and I mean tiny. One this morning and one this afternoon.

I have given her gas meds and suprisingly she is'nt acting as if she is uncomfortable. Her dropping appear normal.

She is constantly begging for more pellets and is digging the bag when she is having floor time. She is also walking around like a sniffer dog trying to find crumbs of food my kids may of dropped!

She is'nt getting anymore today but I do feel bad for her. She has a mountain of hay to eat but she is acting as if I'm starving her, silly bun!

It sounds like she needs just a hay diet until her tummy has totally settled, for X amount of days.

You know you are not starving her and she has food to eat, and you also know, as a mum, that sometimes what they want is not the best thing for them.

Maybe try different types of hay, to see if she prefers one more than another.

Back