Hopes Medical Thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefulyl someone else will give you more accurate advice, but I personally would wait until her tummy had been settled for maybe 24-48 hours and even I introduced pellets,I would probably do it ultra slowly, but then you know I'm a total worrywart, lol, and very over cautious.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to give you a decent timescale of when to introduce the pellets.

Hope has gained 36g in the past 3 days and is now up to 492g. I must be getting a bloated tum mixed up with a tubby babies tum!

Her poops are normal, there is no gas moving around and I can hear gut sounds. I wondered why the gas meds were not helping...... probably because it's not gas! :)

:) I do feel a bit stupid but she was poorly earlier this week.

I'm checking her tum all the time, I was the same with Milly. When I first brought her home I could'nt feel anything but bone. Now there's this huge tum and I keep stressing about it!

Then it finally dawned on me this morning that all her weight gain must be going on somewhere, it must be her lardy stomach. :) I will keep checking for gas, just in case. But I am finding it hard telling the difference between a bloated/tubby tum.

Rabbits sure do give us a steep learning curve don't they :). You're doing really well with Hope, she is so lucky.

I have never felt gas in a rabbits stomach so I have no idea what it should feel like. But from what I have seen on this forum, most rabbits with gas look uncomfortable and are out of sorts - lethargic, off their food, loud stomach etc. Perhaps these signs are the things to look out for? Any gas experts on here today?!

Hope is gaining weight well, she has gained 62g in the last two days and now weighs 554g. I'm pleased with her as she weighed 428g when I brought her home last Friday. The pellets are definately helping her, her stomach still gurgles now and again but is nowhere near as bad as it was.

I've just weighed Hope and she weighs 678g!!! She has a really good appetite, she is still not on free pellets as she still needs gas meds everyday (some more than others.)

Is giving daily gas meds safe?

She spends most of the day begging for pellets and eats lots and lots of hay.

Here's a few pics of Princess Lardy! ;)

HPIM0116.jpg

HPIM0117.jpg

Along with rabbit poop, I wish I would take these things into consideration BEFORE taking pics! :)

And look TWO loppy ears!

Boo, she needed gas meds today.

I've just noticed Hope has dry patches on both her ears at the base. They must be slightly itchy as I've noticed her scratching them a little.

Any ideas?

Mites maybe? or fleas? for these you would need to get her to a vet for treatment.

Or just the atmosphere? You could try putting something like sudocreme on it to sort it out (we were advised to do that with Sunshine's bald patch).

Moon used to get flakey ears when she was moulting, so maybe something like that?

Hope has been sneezing quite a lot the past 2 days. Her eyes, nose and chest appear clear. She is still eating, drinking, pooping and is acting normal.

Could it just be an allergy?

Back