Hopefully Bonding Basil & Penny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:disgust:Basil is being a brat. Today I skipped the initial meeting and bonding time in a neutral territory and put them together in a small enclosure in the room they both share (at separate times). BIG mistake! Basil went right after Penny and took out several tufts of hair. I tried to calm him down and he was having none of it and I feared for my hands, so I wrapped him in a towel and put him back in his cage.

Poor Penny. At least he doesn't seem to have gotten anything but hair. Maybe I'll try on Monday back in a neutral territory. :nerves1

Oh geeze, that stinks. What is it with Rexs? They are so difficult to bond!!

Maybe some car rides are in order next week? I did this with Basil and Max- just layed a towel down on the seat and set them next to eachother. Then bring them in a room together. Worked like a charm :)

They seem fine together in my son's room so maybe I just have to keep working on them in there. Although after today, I might try the car before his room just to mix it up a bit.

I was a bit worried about Penny but after that whole incident, she went over and sat about three inches from his cage (just out of reach) and groomed herself. It drove Basil nuts! LOL

They are both little stinkers. :pullhair:

Quick update:

We took a break over Christmas instead of working on it even more. We had a lot of company and I think that stressed them out a bit. Also, they are both shedding a lot and both had some GI issues over Christmas that seem to have passed (pun intended) now.

So, this weekend I decided I really had to work on these two. They spent a lot of time together on Saturday. I put up a 4x6' enclosure in my living room (neutral territory) and layed down in there with them (I'm sick so that's all I felt up to doing). They ended up being together for 6 hours yesterday with no real problems. I actually fell asleep.

Today, they have been together for a couple of hours in the x-pen and still no major problems. Penny wants Basil to groom her and Basil wants Penny to groom him and neither are grooming each other which is a bit of a problem. I'm afraid that they will just end up getting mad at each other. Mostly they try and then go back about their business though with no fighting. OOooo! Basil just spent a couple of seconds grooming Penny!:)

pennyBasilSaturday.jpg

aww they are just so cute together! Its just a matter of time before Basil realizes hes not going to be the boss in this relationship. lol.

You can try putting a little dab of peanut butter on one of their noses. That helps encourage grooming usually.

I really hope Basil grooming her is a sign of good things to come!

:bunnieskiss Oh how cute. Basil just did the DBF next to Penny and they are both stretched out sleeping together. I'd love to get a pic but I don't want to disturb them. I almost hate to separate them now.

:highfive:Thats great!

Is there any way you could set up a pen for them in another room and see how they do all day today? I would try putting a clean litterbox, toys, food bowls and the works so it feels like a permanent setup to them and see how they do today.

That is exactly what I have done except that I can't leave them alone unless I figure out a roof for the cage because of all the other critters. If I can figure out a roof for them and they do fine all day, do you think I could try leaving them together during the night? I could sleep on the couch so I could hear if there were any problems.

Would Mike let you move them into your room for a few days? That way you could close the door to keep the other animals out and you could be in the same room with them to monitor (without losing sleep by being on the couch). Then if all goes well for a few days you could build them a new joint cage (or move one of your existing ones and clean it out).

But generally if bunnies are together for several hours with no fighting and theyre snuggling and grooming they should be fine being together overnight. :)

I actually might get more sleep on the couch! Both the cats and the dog sleep in our bedroom at night and closing them out would mean that they would spend most of the night meowing or whining about being on the wrong side of the door :D.

I have kind of figured out a top to the cage if I make it about 4 x 4 instead of 4 x 6. I may put them in my room tonight in the 4 x 4 cage with the top on it and see how it goes. If they do fine together during the night, I may leave them together in my room with the other critters locked out during the day tomorrow while I'm at work. I can run home at lunch to check on them. I'm feeling pretty good about leaving them together now. They've been together since 9 a.m. this morning and are behaving very well. They have both settled down for their afternoon nap.:zzzzz

They are still together. I'm not sure I'd say they were bonded, but they are cohabitating nicely. No fights, sharing everything and just hanging out together. I'm not seein a lot of lovin though but maybe I haven't been home enough.

New project for the weekend - build a bigger cage! :)

Oh I kept meaning to ask! Im so happy they are doing well together. Some couples arent all that snuggly, especially at first.

Yay! Keep me posted!

:( Ugh! After one entire week of living together with no problems, this morning we had problems. I had them in my bedroom all week and yesterday I moved them back into the living room (still neutral territory). I used their old NIC cages to build a new cage but took it all apart and moved everything around. I put an entirely new piece of coroplast down and then when it was done, moved their stuff from the cage they had been sharing in my room to the new one. Yesterday they seemed fine with the move. This morning at 5:30 a.m. I started hearing a lot of noise from the living room. When I went to check on the buns, I found Basil chasing Penny around the cage. When she would stop, he would circle and mount her and she would try to run away again. I tried to get them both settled down by sitting in there with them but it wasn't working. I finally took him out and put him in his original pet store cage next to the big one.

I guess I will try putting them together again later this morning and see how it goes. :grumpy

Oh geeze, that stinks.

Could Basil be getting scared/territorial by the other animals in the house? And then he takes his aggression out on Penny? Lucy does that to Tumnus is another bunny comes into the living room where she and Tumnus live.

I think some chasing/mounting is ok as long as theyre not really fighting and biting eachother.

How frustrating after such a great week :(

Well after a great week, I wasn't ready to give up on them. When I got home this morning I attached a run area to their cage, put Basil in it (Penny was already in it) and have been watching them all day. No problems! So now I have no idea what was up with Basil early this morning. My son gave them snow and they have been in and out of the box of snow separately and together and are now sitting next to each other. :?

kirst3buns wrote:
:( Ugh! After one entire week of living together with no problems, this morning we had problems. I had them in my bedroom all week and yesterday I moved them back into the living room (still neutral territory). I used their old NIC cages to build a new cage but took it all apart and moved everything around. I put an entirely new piece of coroplast down and then when it was done, moved their stuff from the cage they had been sharing in my room to the new one. Yesterday they seemed fine with the move. This morning at 5:30 a.m. I started hearing a lot of noise from the living room. When I went to check on the buns, I found Basil chasing Penny around the cage. When she would stop, he would circle and mount her and she would try to run away again. I tried to get them both settled down by sitting in there with them but it wasn't working. I finally took him out and put him in his original pet store cage next to the big one.

I guess I will try putting them together again later this morning and see how it goes. :grumpy
Elvis and Chibi are in the same boat. I am trying a few things. One car rides. Two laying with them and petting them. They both love it. Grooming them on the couch together.(Not easy) If anythingelsecomes to mind I will let you know.

:XBasil has been a brat most of the week. I ended up leaving Penny and Basil in separate cages now because he really goes after her when they are together. I tried to put them together briefly again last night and after about 15 minutes, I put him back in his cage. I swear he is the moodiest rabbit I've ever met. I will try a car ride tonight I think and see how that goes. For some reason they were fine together for about a week and now they don't like each other again. They are going to drive me nuts!:pullhair:

That sux! I know every now and again, I am worried that my two will get into an all out brawl. I can't tell if they are playing or really annoyed with each other yet.

Were you with them for those 15 min or are you leaving them "alone" together? They need you to reinforce their bond. Have you tried petting them while having them side by side. I found that doing this with my two and some nice music calmed them down.

The car ride was very helpful for my two. Good luck. I'm here if you need anything.

*jackie

Yeah this is strange that they keep fighting. Im sure it worries you too if they were to get into it when you werent home.

I bet its something scaring Basil and he's attacking Penny- thats how bonded pairs usually fight. It could be anything from another animal to a sound or even just a shadow.

What room are they in now? I wonder if it would help to put them in another room?

Latest posts

Back