Hope getting annoyed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amdfarm

Reaction score
Hope's kits are 15 days old and starting to explore more and more.

She's starting to find it very annoying that they can move about on their own and find the spigot if need be in HER part of the cage. She guards the opening from the nestbox/bedroom and HER part of the cage to keep them in! LOL If one gets out, she gently noses him/her back into the nestbox and they generally listen and stay in there.

I don't think she'd try and hurt them, but it has me a tad concerned.

I was petting her a bit ago and one wandered in. S/he came overto mom and immediately started going under her to get a drink. If I wouldn't have sat there w/ her and petted her she would have hopped away. She did turn and lick the kit's genitals very gently, but otherwise seemed annoyed at the nerve of this kit wanting to eat. Very odd.

After that, I put the kit back into the nestbox/bedroom and then she went in and everyone had a bite to eat. When she comes out, she cleans her belly where they've nursed. I praised her and told her she was a good bun bun.

Should I be worried? Or is just a very tactful mom and wants things her way?

Thanks!!

she is starting to wean the babies off of her...Very normal for a doe to start to refuse to feed her kits they will start to feed them once a day and then willnot let them nurse at all just make sure mom and babioes have enough pellets to share.

Thanks, Tobi!! I was really starting to worry. The kits aren't really eating solids on their own yet. I've offered them greens and they do nibble on that and hay and they have water. Hope has food ALL of the time. She'sa pig!! She would think I was trying to starve her if she didn't. LOL

I'm assuming mama has greens regularly too? I'm just curious as I never give my kits greens till after they're weaned...

My does get so frustrated when the kits start to come out of the nestbox cause they'll always try to go nurse off mama and get an "extra" drink. Sometimes I'll take them out of the cage and let mama play on the floor and the kits run around in the cage - or sometimes I'll put the kits in a secure area where they can run around (without mama) and give mama a break.

Yes, Hope gets greens regularly also. She has hay all of the time and pellets, as well.

They nibble on the hay more than anything. Hope goes in and cleans up what they don't eat. Again, she's aPIG!! :)

That's exactly how she's feeling Peg, very frustrated by the fact that they're mobile and can eat whenever they can get under her. I had a breeder friend tell me to take Hope out and let her have a few hours w/out them to herself. Then the babies can do whatever they want in the whole cage while she's out. She has no patience... lol

I'll see if that helps. I hope so. They're not ready to be weaned.

Thanks!!

Now see I on the other hand NEVER take the doe away from the kits because I had a doe start to.....How can I put this nicely attempt to "ride" the kits and hurt them after being away from them for a amount of time. If you want to give her a away place you can make a shelf for her to sit on that is high enough for her to jump on but not the babies. SInce I have wire stacking cages I use nest boxes and when the kits start to come out of the nest bow regularly I wil turn the box on its side so the babies still have a secure place to get in the box and the doe has a hiding place from the kits if she desires.

Its really about persional prefrence.

and watch that the babies don't eat too much hay. I would at the moment only have them on pelletts. Too much hay will give them huge tummies. I can't remember what it was called basically 'hay belly'. My two english lop babies I bought had it. It's just too much hay in the diet. It's not good.

I just lean towards pellets because they are designed to have everything the rabbit needs.

Latest posts

Back