honking?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PupTheRabbit

Reaction score
The past two days I heard pup make this snort/honking sound. He usually does it when he is laying down on his stomach. Is this bad? Someone help I'm worried

honking is usually done by bucks during breeding. It can also be used when an unaltered pet sees something he likes in that way.

Sometimes rabbits make weird noises. They're definitely not silent animals. Both genders can honk if they're excited in that special way, and some rabbits snort if they don't/do like something or even growl. They can also sneeze. As long as he seems to be breathing fine and he doesn't have a runny nose I wouldn't worry!

He's one and neutered

Hmm. I've only heard of honking from an intact male. If it's just a one time thing I wouldn't worry but if happens frequently I would make sure it isn't a respiratory issue. Some rabbits are more vocal than others.

I have a few rabbits that will snore when they are laying down sleeping, and some of my rabbits will make honking noises when they are happy and hopping around playing, but if it doesn't seem normal or right to you with your rabbit doing it when he is, then it might be a good idea to take him in for a check up.

I have a few rabbits that will snore when they are laying down sleeping, and some of my rabbits will make honking noises when they are happy and hopping around playing, but if it doesn't seem normal or right to you with your rabbit doing it when he is, then it might be a good idea to take him in for a check up.

I agree with this. My bunnies will honk at pellet time, grunt, and snore, but it's not normal for them to honk while lying down. The honking is usually while they run in circles around something they're excited about. Grunting is usually if you take away their food or approach them with hands they don't want to be touched by (we have one vocal, untrusting bunny). Snoring can be done with eyes open but probably a bit closed, while in a sleeping position, which can be the bun loaf, frog/porkchop, or flop.

Back