Honking Sneezes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
Sabriel has been sneezing.. we tried to give him medicine (along with Solara because she was sneezing slightly too) but the STUPID vet (who knows NOTHING about rabbits at ALL!) gave us BEEF flavored tablets for WHO KNOWS WHAT and it was pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to give to the buns, even when I ground them up and put them in gaytorade like the vet suggested.

And now I'm really worried because he had stopped sneezing but lately he's been sneezing a LOT and they're really LOUD sneezes- and it sounds like he's almost "honking". His nose is also really runny- though the snot isn't thick, it's clear (thats what it looks like. He's got white fur) and his nose is usually constantly wet it seems like. Solara is sneezing as well- just not as loud.

I think they have snuffles... and I think need to give them medicine. But I don't know how I will be able to.

Does anyone know where I can get PROPER baytril for them? or something?

Silas MIGHT be at risk too, but I haven't seen or heard him sneeze at all. And he's been in the same room as the other two buns and has had a bit of contact with them for two months or more. :/

(There is no where else to put Silas in the house. :/ So please don't tell me the obvious "Separate Silas!" I CAN'T. I have bunny-killing dogs that would devour him on the spot if he exited my room. :/)

Also- I found a large "white with a green tint" booger in Sabriel's left nostril a few minutes. I gently got it out with an untreated tissue.

I think Sabriel had come from a crazy breeder. Like, one that keeps buns in a horrible, crowded area with lots of other buns.. and stuff like that. Because he's got bowed front legs (slightly) and he's missing a toe. he has bad markings, which may suggest why they got rid of him (I adopted him)... so yeah, wanted to clear that up. Because my house is QUITE hygienic, etc.

I think you need something stronger than Baytril. Probably Zithromax or even Pen-g. I would also see about getting another opinion. BTW Baytril can be compounded and flavored. But I would get something stronger.

Thank you for the suggestion- I will look into that.

I emailed a veterinarian in my area with information... I'm hoping I can get a rough price, and then convince my mom to let us take them in, so they can get an actual prescription, etc.

Also- they didn't get the baytril for long. :/ It was WAY too hard to give it to them. They spit it out, they'd act like they ate it, run away, THEN spit it out when I wasn't looking. They'd kick, squeak, etc. :c

The stuff coming from his nose is a greenish pea-soup tint now. This is really bad isn't it? I'm feeling REALLY panicked.

I need to add that Sabriel is his NORMAL self. He's happy, he's eating, he's running around, yanking and digging at the carpet like usual. He's drinking. He's acting no differently...

IMG_0036.jpg

Here's a picture of his nose... it looks more clear on my ipod but.. yeah it's slightly green.. :c

Yes, I feed him pellets. I feed him ZuPreem Nature's Promise Rabbit Pellets.

But I don't see how that could be from the pellets.. I don't think he was eating pellets at the time the wet nose became greenish..

If you can get some bicillin 150,000 u procaine G penicillin and 150,000 u benzathine penicllin /ml ( trade names Duo-pen, Dura-pen, Twin-Pen)at farm and fleet and/or Tractor supply ( in the refrigerated section) and also buy some syringes and needles and get some lactated ringers solution from the vet to mix with it you could give the rabbits sub q injections yourself every other day.

the dosing is on mediabbit

it does sound serious but if you could learn to give sub q injections you may be able to help them??

angieluv wrote:
If you can get some bicillin 150,000 u procaine G penicillin and 150,000 u benzathine  penicllin /ml (  trade names Duo-pen, Dura-pen, Twin-Pen) at farm and fleet and/or Tractor supply ( in the refrigerated section) and also buy some syringes and needles and get some lactated ringers solution from the vet to mix with it you could give the rabbits sub q injections yourself every other day.

the dosing is on mediabbit

it does sound serious but if you could learn to give sub q injections you may be able to help them??

I don't think I'd be able to give him injections. I KNOW he would freak, and I have no clue how to or where to do an injection. I had to give my mom shots when she had gestational diabetes and I was hyperventilating and panicking. this would be ten times worse. :I

The discharge isn't like.. really bad I guess. It's worse than usual, but it's not caked on his paws or anything.

penG injections like others have said is the way to go..i have a couple of buns with the snuffles and this is what works.....i didnt wanna do shots either i hate them .but i had to step up and do it for my bunnies...trust me i understand,,, im shaking after ive given them a shot also,,,but i am responsible for their care.

His nose his much less runny this morning. He's still acting normal- just nervous about the noise of the people doing the concrete outside.

There is no reason to separate them, so don't worry about that. I would really try to get zithromax for them. Bicillin is a good choice if you can find it and have the know-how to give it and you have incompetent vets that won't give you strong oral antibiotics. In this situation, though, I would think you would not be ok with giving the sub-q injections. If you get any on their coat, or it comes back out of the injection hole, they can eat it and it is toxic orally. Sas had a bunny that this happened to. Ask for zithromax. It is also a human drug so they can call the prescription in to a human pharmacy for you.

Thank you Claire!
Do you have any idea how much Zithromax could cost?
Is it dangerous in any way?
What is the difference between Zithromax and Bicillin?
And am I going to need to get them checked out by a vet before I give it to them?
And should only Sabriel get it?
Or Solara too since she sneezes sometimes? (I actually haven't heard her sneeze in a while.)
Yeah, if there's a risk of them dying from accidentally consuming the injection.. I really don't want to do that.

Sorry for all the questions!

Zithromax ( azithromycin) is rather costly and has to be obtained per prescription from a vet. It is a powerful antibiotic that is given orally.
I gave bicillin injections to my rabbit for a long time without any problems but if you are uncomfortable with it then it may be best to consult another vetin or around your area.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11576&forum_id=9

What kind of bedding do you use? I was using cedar shavings and my bunny got "snuffles". I took her to the vet, she got several shots, and I had to give her liquid baytril for 10 days. It didn't work. I got on here and they gave me great adivce...I changed her bedding from cedar shavings to Yesterday's News and she is now better. My bun was also having trouble controlling her bladder, and was peeing on herself so I'm not sure if it's the same thing but it might be worth a try.

I don't use Yesterday's News anymore because it's a little expensive but I now use Equine Fresh, and she's been fine ever since.

Good luck to you and your bun. I hope she gets better! :(

Kim

I used to use Yesterday's News, and now I used Equine Fresh as well, and it has had no effect on how much they sneeze, etc. They don't have "bedding" otherwise... Only like sheets and such.

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back