Honking - does he need a friend

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plymothian_Sophie

Reaction score
Hi, so my male rabbit has started circling me and honking which I have read is a courting/amourous behaviour. I don't mind him doing this, but I'm thinking would it be better for him to have a female to have this behavior with? He's never lonely as I only work a few hours a week and when I'm out my boyfriend is in so I didn't really want another rabbit as he has us for company and he always sits on the sofa and bed with us and watches movies and plays ball etc worth us. Would it be nicer to let him have a female to be able to share this honking/circling with or is he happy enough to do this with me?

Is he neutered? If not getting a female for "company" may land you a few extra bunnies unless you are prepared for that I would not suggest it.Maybe try interacting with him a bit more or redirecting the behavior by giving him something else to do when he starts circling your feet.I'm sure he is fine with your company though I am no expert but if you don't have the time/desire for another bun don't get one.

He isn't atm as he's only hit 6 months and my vet won't neuter him for another 8 weeks :( I obviously wouldn't introduce him to a female until he is done. I interact with him on a daily basis I don't think I can interact with him 'more' as where ever I go in the house he follows, he even follows me to the bathroom and will be sat outside waiting for me to come out.
I wouldn't mind getting another, I have time and space, but I just have such a bond with Truffles that I am scared if I get another he won't care about me anymore :(

The behaviour is mostly due to hormones. He isn't really looking for a friend, more for a mate. Chances are that once he is neutered, the behaviour will subside. A female won't really help things at this point, and some males get worse around females, so there could be spraying and even some aggression (really depends on the rabbit, some don't really care about other rabbits).

Once he is neutered, give him time to settle down and see what he is like. It could take a couple months after the neuter, but there usually are some changes within a couple weeks. If you still think he might want a friend, then you can look into finding him one.

Even if you chose to get a female there is always the possibility that you would not be able to bond them. Some buns just don't get along.

His behavior is due to the desire to mate not because he is lonely. That all should stop after he has been neutered and his hormones have settled.

Your vet won't neuter until he's 8 months old? Is he/she an experienced rabbit vet? Most rabbit vets are happy to neuter at 4 months old, and I got my boys done at 5 months. I wouldn't be happy waiting till 8 months, you can just imagine the pent-up sexual frustration your poor bunny will have to bear till then.

But yeah I agree with the other posters, he's just looking to get bunny sexytimes. Adding a female would only increase his hormonal behaviours - if it's an unspayed female, you'll get babies, and if it's a spayed female, she'll fight him off! Lose-lose. Just focus on getting him neutered asap. :)

Give him a similarly-sized stuffed toy to hump instead! (It actually works.)

Last edited:
Hormonal behavior for sure. Sounds like he gets lots of attention so I wouldn't worry about a companion. Some will bond, and we've had some that would fight with a rock so another rabbit isn't always a good thing.

He isn't atm as he's only hit 6 months and my vet won't neuter him for another 8 weeks :(

This sent up a red flag for me as well and would make me worry that the vet was not very experienced with rabbits. I had Bandit done at about 4 months old. He could have been done sooner if his bits had dropped sooner ;)

I agree that the behaviour is hormonal and related to sexual behaviour. However it's not a problem behaviour and if you don't want, you don't have to get him neutered just because of it. However, if you're looking to introduce a female for him to "share" this behaviour with, and you're waiting till after his neuter, it won't be necessary because after neuter most males stop the honking and circling (mine did), and obviously you can't introduce them before neuter :p If you're happy with just having the one and you get to spend a lot of time with him, I'm sure he's fine without another bunny. That decision is up to you.

Latest posts

Back