Honey takes a turn for the worse.. (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dainerra

Reaction score
Honey was eating and drinking normally this morning, but when I came home this afternoon he has only sipped at water and eaten nothing. Extremely lethargic, dull and listless. He is going back to the vet in the morning, but I didn't want him left there unattended overnight.

I gave him apple juice mixed with water through an eye dropper. That perked him enough to drink some on his own. Coaxing got him to nibble a few bites, but not enough to even count as eating.

The vet gave me Panacur .4mls and Baytril .2mls. enough for 5 days.

*sigh* poor baby I don't know what to do with him. I ordered the oxbow pellets, but they haven't arrived yet.
He's being eating timothy and meadow hay, fresh dandelion greens, new grass, squash, and kale. Not a lot, but his appetite was definitely improved from last week.

As long as he's eating, drinking, pooping, and not lethargic, he should be fine throughout the night. He needs more medicine regardless--14 days for antibiotic at the minimum.

dainerra wrote:
Honey was eating and drinking normally this morning, but when I came home this afternoon he has only sipped at water and eaten nothing. Extremely lethargic, dull and listless. He is going back to the vet in the morning, but I didn't want him left there unattended overnight.

I gave him apple juice mixed with water through an eye dropper. That perked him enough to drink some on his own. Coaxing got him to nibble a few bites, but not enough to even count as eating.

The vet gave me Panacur .4mls and Baytril .2mls. enough for 5 days.

*sigh* poor baby I don't know what to do with him. I ordered the oxbow pellets, but they haven't arrived yet.
He's being eating timothy and meadow hay, fresh dandelion greens, new grass, squash, and kale. Not a lot, but his appetite was definitely improved from last week.
i hate to sound too stupid--but,,what was the first diagnosis,.??-what are the meds for.??---0.2ml-is a very little amount.//.was this a hands on therapy.??--that is all some vets do...they don,t realize the timer may already be on,-(count down)----prey animals would rather die than reveal illness to a predator.//.water and grasses,,and wet greens-,keep him hydrated,--watch the poop box,,note any change in behavior,,appetite,poops,,.//.feel his entire body for lumps,bugs,etc...keep us informed..sincerely james waller:wave::rose::?:p

he's still only drinking if you give him from the dropper first. Still not eating unless you force him and then only a few nibbles.

James, he was diagnosed with calcium build-up last week.

the antibiotics that they started him on were only to help him through the night until they can see him today. The office was closed and they were leaving, they stayed behind to fill the syringes and leave them for me to pick up.

this morning he is just sitting and rocking

Honey didn't make it. His rocking got worse and he was acting agitated. I dropper-ed him some more water/juice and wrapped him in a towel since he was shaking. He went relatively quietly; he kind of went in a trance once he was in the towel. He eventually just stopped breathing.

I wonder if I caused him extra suffering by not taking him in last night. but he would have been there all alone and he just seemed so fragile and small.

Oh no, I'm so sorry. :(

sas :sad:

my daughter slept with him all night, beside his cage.

honey1.jpg

not sure if that will work here. or how to post pictures

we're so sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose a loved bun, but don't go second guessing either. Sometimes it's just not meant to be no matter how much we strive. When we lost our Bun-Bun, I was very glad that she passed at home with her family around her--the hardest thing for me is to have to take that last trip to the vet. Rest in peace Honey, you a loved and missed by all.:bunnyangel:

I'm so sorry that Honey passed. He was a very handsome bunny and I know he meant a lot to your family. I wish we could have figured out what was wrong sooner.

Latest posts

Back