Homemade Treats?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley B

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :) I'm looking for some ideas on what I can use or how I can make some healthy treats for my bun! He is a rex rabbit and I'm working on working on training him to come when I call him and whatnot... One problem though, the treats I use aren't too healthy for him.. :confused2: So i'm wondering what I can do?! What would you use or make?

Thanks!

-Ashley

I made some treats the other week that they really seemed to like. This is the recipe I used:

1/4 c. rabbit pellets
1/4 c. Quaker oats
2 oz. applesauce baby food jar (you could also use mashed up bananas)
small pinch of rabbit hay

I pulsed the pellets and oats in a coffee grinder, then mixed them together in a bowl. I added the applesauce and mixed it until it started clumping. I pulsed the hay in the grinder, too, just to break down the long strands a bit. I added that to the mix and a splash of water. On a parchment paper lined baking sheet, I pressed the mixture into a patty about 1/4″ thick. Baked at 350 for 40 minutes. Half way through baking, I flipped the whole thing over.

You can break it up into small pieces. That way if you're giving them a bunch of treats in a training session it won't matter since the pieces are tiny.

Honey really likes the dried banana peel strips I make. Wash the banana before peeling, cut into strips, squares, etc, put on a sheet of plastic & turn daily until dry. I use strips so I can hold one end while she starts eating.

When I was working on clicker training Timmy, I just used his daily pellet ration. I would give him a few pellets at breakfast time in his bowl and then disperse the rest throughout the day.

I've read something online about using pellet and hay dust from the bottom of the bags to make bunny cookies. I thought it was pretty cool, good way to really use the entire bag. I'm sure you could find something about it if you google it :) It's gotta be healthier than store bought treats, especially since you can easily pick the portion sizes.

Is it possible to make them? ^^^ Also another thing is, I see that a lot of people bake treats, what do you bake them on? Just a cookie sheet? OR what?

Latest posts

Back