Homemade rabbit toys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ender

Reaction score
I have a very energetic bunny. He loves sprinting around my room when I let him out of the xpen. I want to make his caged experience better, but when I went to petco most toys for rabbits seemed cheap and I thought that I could do better myself. Have any of you had luck in makIng toys for your bunnies?

There are so many things you can do with stuff around the house. I love cardboard in so many shapes and sizes because it is safe for chewing and very versitile. Boxes of various sizes to go under and over, I weave flat pieces of cardboard through the pen bars for them to chew and dig at. Flat pieces on the floor for digging. Toilet paper or paer towel or wrapping paper tubes plain or stuffed with hay are great fun. Phonebooks without the covers are great for digging and tearing up.

If you go to the craft store you can get dowell rods and end wooden pieces to make little dumbells. I use bells and sissal or hemp rope to decorate the middle bar to make it more interesting. Elmers school glue is safe to put things together.

Hard plastic baby toys are great, particularly rattles. Cat toys, such as the hard plastic balls with bells are also a hit.

Basically everywhere I go I think about bunny toys. Look around with an open mind to see if you can repurpose items to your bunny's liking. Only a small fraction of my kid's toys were sold for rabbits.

I will certainly try some of those things! We have untreated apple trees in our yard, and he loves those but I want him to have more variety. And Elmer's glue is safe? I will have to try making those dumbells!

Bird Toys are pretty good too. You can find some really cute one!

NONE of my buns like hanging toys. They will sit there forever and rot if I let them lol.

I use paper towel rolls filled with Hay and even then my lazy mini rex will just stare LOL!

Mine both have a lot of free time so i assume that they're too pooped to play with toys after!

What I plan to do this weekend or next (pay day lol). Is buy a few packs of these (since they're so cheap) and just hang away! I love that they are colorful and you can add little pieces of wood or whatnots to them!

http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Starts-Lots-of-Links/dp/B001ABZGU2/ref=pd_sim_ba_27

Last edited by a moderator:
Back