Holy sh*tcakes, I think she's pregnant!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neejchee

Reaction score
In case you couldn't tell from the title, I think my doe may be pregnant!

For those of you who haven't read my threads before, I have a tendency to give a LOT of background info so if you like things to be short and sweet this probably isn't the thread for you! :p

My mini lops are nearly 10 months old. Both were supposedly does, but then Samantha had a visit from the sex change fairy and became Samual. Consequently we had a bit of a scare, and my doe had a false pregnancy before we were able to get Sammy desexed. There was then the anxious wait after the desexing for a month, during which she again behaved as though pregnant, but didn't turn out to be and they were safe to be together again. Both were very happy, as despite Miranda not being spayed they were very well bonded, and both get depressed when apart and destroy anything to try to get to one another.

It has now been almost 4 months since we were sure she wasn't pregnant, and have had no issues since. She and Sammy both still adore each other, and I have been planning to get Miranda spayed in a month when I get my tax money.

About 3 and a bit weeks ago they managed to dig their way out (read: Miranda dug and Sammy followed) and they spent an indeterminate amount of time running free before my dogs decided to let us know that they could see Sammy and were unimpressed that they couldn't get to him. The hutch and run were moved to a mutch safer location and my precious little balls of fluff stayed inside for a few days to make sure they were alright. The next day when taking my daughter to school I saw anoth escapee bunny, either also a mini lop or a larger lop juvenile. It was the next street over and I haven't seen it since.

The day after the escape Miranda was all over Sammy, humping like crazy, and then he turned the tables and was humping HER for the next two days. They've been normal ever since. In order for Miranda to be pregnant she would have to have been out at the same time as that other bunny, either left our property and come back or the other one come here and then left, it would have to have been a grown male, and she would have to have allowed him to mount her. Given that both times she definitely WAS mounted by Sammy, when his testicles had dropped and she still wasn't pregnant, I figured the chances of all of those coincidences lining up and getting her knocked up was slim to none.

She and Sammy have been happily living together, and although she's never liked being picked up she hasn't become nasty at all. About a week ago I found some pulled fur in the beginning of a nest, and figured as it had been around 2 weeks since the escape she had maybe had a false pregnancy from all the excitement. She would now be 25 days pregnant if she is so, and other than the 2 week nesting thing, which she hasnt bothered with since, she hasn't shown any signs.

Today I was filling their water bottles and emptying their litter trays while they had a feast of greens, and her stomach started bouncing out like crazy! It was as obvious as my own daughter's kicks when I was pregnant! I don't know what else it could be, so am assuming she must actually be pregnant. Unless I suppose it could be hiccups? Can rabbits get hiccups? And would she ignore it and keep eating like she was?

I'm a bit in shock, and don't know what to expect really. The other bunny looked like either a seal point or a charlie, with some darker areas around the ears and nose. I didn't get a really good look. Guess now we wait and see!

Thanks for the very interesting story, I believe my rabbit is 26 days pregnant and I wasn't sure either until I also saw her belly moving yesterday and I had a very gentle feel of her belly today and could feel them squirming around, very exciting although ours was an intentional breeding. I guess you wont really know for sure for a few more days but I would be separating the male in a few days and adding a nest box in just in case. Good luck and please update

I knew mine was pregnant when the babies kicked a bunch. That was literally the night before she gave birth! You might want to put a nestbox inside just in case. Like cookiesandcream, it was intentional.

Latest posts

Back