Holland vs Mini lops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tundrakatiebean

Reaction score
So I'm writing (another) paper on bunnies for my English class, this weeks topic is comparing/contrasting Holland lops and Mini lops. I'm researching and have already looked through the breed threads and some stuff in the rabbitry/show section here.

So I was wondering if any fantasticshowers/breeders/owners would be so kind as to outline the basic differences between Holland and Mini lops as per ARBA show standards. Something as simple as the different accepted breeding colors for each breed ect.

Thanks guys!

Cool paper! Not to hijack your thread, but I was also just wondering what the differences in personality and health are for Holland Lops and Mini Lops.

The Holland lop is smaller than the Mini Lop. Max Sr Weight for the Holland is 4 lbs., Max senior weight for the Mini Lop is 6 1/2 lbs (6 lbs ideal)

Holland Junior (under 6 months) minimumweights are 2 lbs, Mini Lop Juniors are 3 lbs minimum.

The Holland is not posed with their front legs flat on the table... they should be allowed to sit with their head up and their front legs resting lightly on the table. The Mini Lop is posed so their front legs rest on the table and thetoes are just under their cheeks.

Both Lops are shown in Agouti, Broken, pointed white, self-shaded, tickedand wide band... but only theHolland Lop is shown in the Tan Pattern. The holland lop has more points on the Head, Ears and crown.

The Holland lop ears are to be close to the cheek and extend no more than 1" below the jawline. No limit on Mini Lop ear length, except to be in proportion and balance to the head and body.

It's a start...

I'm not sure if you know this or not but a holland lop is also a type of dwarf. There are three types of Dwarf holland rabbits. True Dwarfs (One dwarf gene and one normal gene), False Dwarfs (two normal genes) and Peanuts (Two dwarf genes).

Mini lops have two normal genes and don't have any dwarf genes.

False Dwarf holland lops tend to be bigger then true dwarf holland lops. Useally by a pound or two sometimes. Peanuts have inherited two dwarf genes and always die because they organs aren't formed right.

Generally Mini lops have larger litters, averaging 6-8 while hollands have smaller litters. Usually 4 -6 I believe.

As far as colors go..... Both breeds have a lot of recognized colors.

There are a lot of genetic sites for each breed that show the ARBA Recognized colors and some that are not recognized. My website has a basic color guide to Mini lop rabbits and you can look at that if it helps. The address is http://www.honeysucklerabbitry.com/colorguide.aspx

Hollands are esentially the same with a few minor differences.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.:biggrin2:

Honeysuckle Rabbitry wrote:
False Dwarf holland lops tend to be bigger then true dwarf holland lops. Useally by a pound or two sometimes.
What is a brood doe? Bebe weighs 4 lbs 5 oz. and is 4 years old. When I first got her, she was 5 lbs 3 oz.

Ok first a brood doe is a doe that is a proven mother and is used for breeding.

As far as you using some of my pics I can email you pictures that you can use if you let me know what you want..... But please don't use any from my site because some of them belong to other people. They are all credited to the other people but I'm afraid that some may accidentally get used that don't belong to me. PM me and let me know what you want for pictures. I have hundreds more that aren't on my site. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back