Holland Lop?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypusstar

Reaction score
So my flemish giant fell through lol. figured it would be better anyways to get a smaller rabbit, so im turning my eyes toward the holland. can anyone tell me about the breed, and perfered diets? i've been told by pet shops that they need 1/3 a cup of pelets and 2/3 hay...but that doesnt sound right.

i'll get pictures soon =D

Depending on their individual size, they eat about 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup per day.

Pam

Mine each get about 1/2 cup per day. Some more, some less, depending on the rabbit. Great personalities. Small. I'd go on and on but I AM a little biased. lol!

lol i would love to hear your view on hollands. so far i know they're awesome rabbits and id love to hear more about them. so do go on XD lol

My Holland Lop buckrabbit Guy is a hyperactive bundle of bunny-love who adores me. He is like a puppy in his enthusiasmwith meetingnew people.

Jo x

EDIT: If I let him, he would live to eat rather than eat to live-loves his food! :carrot:carrot:carrot

I don't have much experience seeing as how I only have the one Holland Lop, but like Jo's, he would eat nonstop if I let him! He's a fuzzy bundle of energy and loves attention.

My Muffin is a Holland mix who doesn't really like pellets--she eats barely a tablespoon a day--but LOVES veggies and hay. She probably eats 2.5c of veggies a day, and maybe 2c of hay. It depends a lot on what you're raising them for (breeding, pet, etc) and whether or not you can afford to feed veggies. I personally wouldn't give an adult bunny that small more than 1/4c of pellets a day, even on a veggie-free diet. That's what they get at the shelter.

Make sure you check the front teeth! Hollands are prone to a lot of teeth problems due to their flat faces, and malocclusion of the front teeth can be a real problem. You can't check the back teeth well without a special instrument, so all you can do is make sure the front teeth line up right and the bunny has a slight overbite.

Nick is a Holland Lop mix, and I adore him! He is really sweet, and energetic.

He weighs about 4.5 lbs, and gets about 1 1/2 cups of veggies and 1/4 cup of pellets each day. (He shares with Amelia, so I can't tell exactly how much each is eating, but they get 3 cups veg and 1/2 cup pellets between them.)

Nick and Amelia both love their hay, which they have free access to. They eat a LOT of hay between them. I have been told that they eat more hay than other bunnies of similar size.

tonyshuman wrote:
My Muffin is a Holland mix who doesn't really like pellets--she eats barely a tablespoon a day--but LOVES veggies and hay. She probably eats 2.5c of veggies a day, and maybe 2c of hay. It depends a lot on what you're raising them for (breeding, pet, etc) and whether or not you can afford to feed veggies. I personally wouldn't give an adult bunny that small more than 1/4c of pellets a day, even on a veggie-free diet. That's what they get at the shelter.

Make sure you check the front teeth! Hollands are prone to a lot of teeth problems due to their flat faces, and malocclusion of the front teeth can be a real problem. You can't check the back teeth well without a special instrument, so all you can do is make sure the front teeth line up right and the bunny has a slight overbite.

Agreed on the teeth check... I have had lots of Hollands and love the breed- they are characters, active and full of themselves.

Mine eat free choice hay and 1/2 cup pellets at night mixed with whole race horse oats, and parsley, carrots, Craisins and apple chunks depending on the day - I figure they like the variety and seem to enjoy seeking the treats hidden in paper towel spools. Mine also get turnout time in a horse stall for a period of time but after today's show we will be working on developing their hindquarter muscles more.

They are a fun breed and cute with those pudgy cheeks...

Denise

Platypusstar wrote:
lol i would love to hear your view on hollands. so far i know they're awesome rabbits and id love to hear more about them. so do go on XD lol

Well, I personally may add breeds in the future, but Hollands are something that I will NEVER get rid of! They are so friendly and personable. I take mine out to public events often through 4-H (I'm a leader) or just on my own. They tolerate handling very well and don't bat an eye when kids poke, prod, flip them over, etc.

A lot of the rabbits I produce go as pets or 4-H rabbits and everyone who has updated me on their rabbits were so pleased with the temperament of the rabbits. I do handle all my rabbits daily but it is definiately characteristic of the breed as well.

Also, all of my Hollands are unaltered since they are breeding rabbits, but they are ALL litter trained. I didn't train any of them, I gave them litterboxes just to play in and they all caught on within a week. Even rabbits I've brought in from other rabbitries that never used a box before learn how within weeks.

They've just been fantastic animals as pets, as breeding animals...I love Hollands in a million ways. I can't think of anything bad to say about them except that the competition at shows is so stiff because so many people have them!!!

I HIGHLY suggest Hollands to anyone, but especially as pets!:blushan:

So we're going to get our rabbit this comming week. im so excited. but we're torn between a lop and a lion head named Caeser.

This is Caeser. I didnt get to get any pictures of the lop in the pet store

14nmqgo.jpg

Latest posts

Back