Holland lop ears

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redestarrosa

Reaction score
i am thinking of trading Boogie for a holland lop male, from the same breeder that i got Honey from.... i am debating... i like Boogie tho

anyway, the male holland lop that the breeder have available is 8 months old, same coloring as Honey, Broken red except Honey got some ticked black on her too

the male ears didn't flop over, is that genetic or just the way he turned out???

i tried to find info about lop ears those that didn't flop over to find out whether if it is genetic or not ... i know that if i breed two broken together that 50 % will be broken, 25 % is solid, and 25% charlie

is charlie bad??

im debating on trading Boogie for this boy, or wait til one of the breeder's baby lops is ready to be adopted in may 6th... (pic are click able for larger size)

Evenstar

I'm no expert but his ears don't look holland to me - they look more New Zealand or something....too pointy.Most lop have more rounded ears (that I've seen).

Charlies will throw ONLY brokens when mated...if they are a true charlie.

Other than that - I can't give you much advice...sorry.

Peg

the pics in previous post is Honey she is 2/3 holland lop, the other third is jersey wooley, her father is holland lop, her mother is 1/2 holland lop and 1/2 jersey wooley, i been to the breeder's website, the mother looks like all lops, her mother's ears was floppy, slightly pointy but floppy like typical holland lops ears

above is the male that i am considering trading Boogie for

Above is suppose to be the momma of Honey, but it doesn't match up with the paper that the breeder gave me and the email she sent me showing the parents???????

Above is suppose to be the father according to the email she sent me before bringing Honey to me, but according to the paper the breeder gave me the father is suppose to be black and i seen him at the website he is a tiny little black thing

so, im gonna have to email the breeder to clarify

cause i know at the time right before i adopted Honey, she sent me email letting me know what babies she got available... one group of babies was 2/3 holland lop and 1/3 jersey wooley and the other group was 1/2 holland lop and 1/2 New Zealand

now after reading the emails and looking at Honey's paper, im confused... which means i would have to email the breeder and ask questions to clarify

But i love Honey :)

Evenstar

If you are seriously wanting to breed - especially lops - I can not recommend highly enough that you do two things:

a. Join the Holland Lop specialty club

http://www.hlrsc.com/

here is the membership form:

http://www.feldsroyalrabbitry.com/hlrsc/main/newmemberform.pdf

On the first link I gave you, I'd go to the H LInfo/Articles web page(from the left side links) - there are some really good articles there. One is on common mistakes breeders make - I think the folks who talk about setting goals really make some good points.

The "Starting Out with Hollands" article is excellent.

and with that said, I'm going to get on my soapbox here..

:soapbox

Yes - I have had two mixed breed litters. I gave in and bred Puck (Holland Lop) to Jenny (New Zealand mix) because I was asked if I could get some lops for this local area. No one within 100miles or so breeds lops. Since then - I've gone on to buy a pedigreed purebred HL doe....she just had her babies yesterday.

BUT - I do NOT recommend mixed breed breedings. I did it because I had so many requests - and yes - all of the babies from the two breedings have a home and appear to be well-loved.

But if you want to be a breeder and work with the animals and really gain respect among other breeders (who may one day be YOUR customers)....you need to buy the BEST PUREBRED rabbits you can. You may be shocked to find out that they aren't that much more expensive than buying mixed breed rabbits.

I think with Holland Lops this is SOO important - because I know that while Jenny had babies with ears that lopped - I could tell from their head shape that they weren't full lops. I could also tell from their ears. When I sold the babies - I explained that I did not feel that they were showable - in fact - I KNEW they weren't showable...but people really wanted PETS.

Once again - this is only my opinion - it isn't like it is the "official opinion" of this board, etc.

But I really REALLY believe you need to learn more about lops - about the "standard of perfection" for lops....before you start breeding them.

I do wish you lots of luck!

Peg

thank you for the links and stuff, i will join as soon after payday or maybe after i move first that way the book would come in the mail to the new place

Honey was born on the 13th of last month, so she is very young, she is almost 5 1/2 weeks old, most of the pics i have posted was when she was almost 5 weeks old

i know too young to be taken from the mother but she is eating pretty good and she is not lonely cause Boogie is a good company for her

Honey looks just like any other 4/5 weeks old holland lop that haven't dropped their ears yet

im gonna trade Boogie for another holland lop male

i am debating on trading for that 8 month old holland lop male, or wait for one of her litter get old enough to adopt

okay here is the plan...im gonna trade Boogie for a pedigreed show breeding quality male holland lop plus 10 dollars to make it even...

then sometimes mid july i will buy holland lop female from same breeder also pedigreed show breeding quality

im gonna have Honey spayed when she is old enough (at 6 months old)

The breeder that i got Honey from is gonna help me...

after i move into my new apt. i will join the holland lop club, especially the one in oklahoma, so i won't have to forward address changes to the club

Personally, I think you should really think this through thoroughly...

1) What isyour purpose for wanting to breed Hollands?

2) Do all your reading/learning FIRST... Study the SOP (ARBA Standard of Perfection) to determine whether or not the rabbits in question would make a good pairing to fit those standards.

3) Do you have an outlet for your culls? Do you have a guaranteed backup outlet if your first falls through?

With that said...
I very HIGHLY doubt the rabbit you are intending to trade for is a purebred Holland.

His head shape is way off... If I were to guess, I'd say it looked like a New Zealand or Mini Lop cross... It's giving ME the impression of a larger bun.

Compare that to this picture... which IS a Holland Lop - No doubts there...

Notice the rounder, shorter head, broad crown, and small size.

This other picture:

Looks more like a Mini Lop. Head shape, ears & body size fit the standard.

Above is suppose to be the momma of Honey, but it doesn't match up with the paper that the breeder gave me and the email she sent me showing the parents???????
Above is suppose to be the father according to the email she sent me before bringing Honey to me, but according to the paper the breeder gave me the father is suppose to be black and i seen him at the website he is a tiny little black thing
Just a thought, if parentage and paperwork are not adding up.... WHY would you trust this particular breeder to provide you with a Purebred Pedigree'd Showable/Brood animal?

If you are serious about wanting to breed for show, I would suggest to spay your little girl and just get a QUALITY breeding pair or Trio from a REPUTABLE breeder... Especially when it comes to Hollands - Competition is pretty stiff to waste your money and time breeding mixed breeds and hope for the best... Especially if you're on a limited budget as it sounds by your posts. You can find an EXCELLENT SHOWABLE Pedigree'd breeding pair of rabbits at a VERY reasonable cost... just look around.

Here's a great link to get you started, It's gotsome info you need to know as well as links to other helpful information & sites-http://www.rabbitandcavydirectory.com/Breed_Gallery/Holland_Lop.htm

~Sunshine

im going to do a lot of reading

i have always wanted to have a kennel of my own, my grandmother who raised me, used to have a kennel and i used to help her run the business til she gotten too old to do the business anymore

then again she had a bichon frise female and male, she was breeding them til about 6 months before she died, she had them spayed neutered like about 4 months before she died...

i can't have a kennel cause i have a service dog, im not allowed to have more than one dog, which is a bummer...

i am allowed to have other types of animals tho

im going to join the oklahoma holland lop club soon after payday

Latest posts

Back