Holiday question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babymommy

Reaction score
ok, I didn't bother to think of this when i gotBaby's condo. Right now it only fits in front of thelivingroom picture window. I will have to put my tree up forChristmas. I don't know where I'm going to move Baby, I'veout grown my house. My garage is not heated, but it wouldprotect her from the wind when it does get cold, would she be ok to beout there? I would still let her come in the house a couplehours out of the day. I'm just worried it will still be toocold for her because she's an inside girl.:?

"Shock" of warm/cold is worse than one constanttemperature. "Ideal" rabbit temperatures are supposed to bebetween 50-60 degrees F, so if garage temps remained within thoselimits, it should not be much of a problem. Lowertemperatures, without suitable acclimation time might be problematical.

I've read that if one brings a rabbit inside during the winter do notdo so for a longer period than one hour. Longer than an hourand the rabbit's system begins to adapt to the warmer temp and itexperiences more discomfort upon returning to the outside.

Utilizing that guideline, we've brought rabbits inside for a "pet"during the winter with no apparent ill effects, but that experience isanecdotal, and certainly not "scientifically based." I dowish we had room for all our rabbits to be house rabbits, but that isjust not possible given the Missus' difficulty dealing with rabbit furall about.

Buck

all depends on your bunny i think.. what bucksaid about temp changes is a factor, plus, she wont be in the housearound people anymore. that could have a large effect on her becauseshe'd be even more isolated, away from familiar smells etc

Be like me, I have a cloth Christmas tree thesize of a door, I hang it up in a window. My nephew got akick out of it last year when he asked where my tree was.

Ed

I just noticed you are from geogia, i dont knowhow much colder your garage is than the house.my garage is not heatedeither but its still way warmer than outside and im in paitgets much colder here,bluebird

Why not move her to a different location in thehouse and put a chair or table in the garage? That's what Iam going to do for the holidays. :)

Ah, so much fun demolishing the home for theholidays. We're trying to figure out where to put our tree this year,it's a new place and all. Now that I'm thinking about it, where therabbit cage is would be the best place, but I'm not sure we can swingit. If we were to move the cage, it'd be right up against the heater(runs along two freaking walls the whole way!). Of course, we do'ntwant the tree up against that either.

I'm sure we'll figure it out. Always works out in the end.

Oh, sorry I didn't respond to your actual question!

If she's used to being inside around people, then I'd try to keep herthere. I think she'd be too lonely out in a garage like that, if she'sused to being part of the family. It just makes me think of my rabbit,Chompers, before I rescued him. He was all alone in a garage,totally miserable. Of course, I know you will actually carefor your bun, where he was isolated and ignored and underfed before Icame along.

Not to worry,problem solved. My daughter and I came back inside fromholiday shopping yesterday and were watching a movie. Then wedecided to see how her cage would fit in the dinner room against one ofthe walls. It fits just fine. We put thetree up and all the decorations.

Ofcourse, Baby came straight to the treeto inspect what was going on. We think we may like her cagebetter in the dining room. We may even by some "Baby gates"to put up to keep her from messing with the tree and such.

Hope everyone is having a happy Thanksgiving!:D

Great end to a almost worrisome story (I was alittle worried that is, about the loneliness factor) Fabulous that Babyis now going to be adiningroom bun :p In my house here, whenthe two diva's are out I have a piece of wood similar to a baby gatethat blocks off entry to the rest of the house so they have free reignof the kitchen and livingroom.

When Dec 1st comes, I am moving their cage to the opposite wall wherean end table is sitting now-then the end table is going wheretheir cage was with the tree ON TOP! Voila, no nibblin of the tree-

Cher

I absolutely dread the tree, myself! Ihave to figure out a way to keep the animals out of the water (I amthinking a nice C-collar from the petstore over the pan) and keep boOUT of the tree! I want a small tree up high, but hubby wantsa big tree and won't budge..... he also won't let me get a fakeone. :?

Back