Holding rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing

Reaction score
My two indoor girls (Mini Rex) HATE being pickedup and touched. They're not afraid of me, as when they're outroaming they have no problems with nibbling on my or bumping me withtheir noses and I clean their cages around them while they sleep flatout on their sides. As soon as you TOUCH them, though,they're off running. Morgaine is better with touching butharder to pick up and hold, and Gwen is harder to catch but once youcatch her she won't fight being held. Any tips to gettingthem friendlier?

My outdoor boys all love being held and cuddled :hearts

Edit to mention: Neither were handled much as babies I don'tthink, as when I got them they were both NUTCASES. Any oddmovement or noise would send Gwen madly zooming around her cage,climbing walls, and generally scaring the crap out of both of us andMorgaine.

I'd say a good start would be to spent a lot oftime at their level, sit there reading or something and they will sooncome over to see what you are up to. Then over time get them used tobeing touched by tempting them over with food then stroking them whilehand feeding them, this should get them used to being touched so theydon't fear it anymore. Then start tempting them up onto your knee sothat they become more comfortable being handled. Then you can startgetting them used to being picked up. If I were you I wouldn't do it alot as it might stress them out but handling them for short bursts on aregular basis will get them used to being picked up so when they haveto be picked up (eg to give medication or to clip their nails) it ismuch easier and less stressful.:)

They are Lionheads from what I remember, right? I suppose not being handled much as a baby would cause this.

My Lionhead, Madilyn, lets me grab her and pick her up, but most of thetime when she is sitting there and I go to pet her she runs around anddoes a thousand binkies and wants to play.

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

They are Mini Rex. I don't know muchabout the breed itself, but I have two and my sister has onebuck. It seems like they're naturally more flighty than theflemish, but that might just be ours xD

Thanks!

Who was new to the forum that had the lionheads then? Hrrrrm. I am having such an off day:baghead, my apologies.

I also do not know much about mini rexes.

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

I have a mini rex, she doesn't mind being pickedup. When she is out though, she is on her time andterms. If I act like I'm going to reach out for a pet, sheruns off.

They probably just need more time. How long have you hadthem? They are in a new environment, it will take them sometime to adjust.:D

I have 2 rexes who hate being touched or pickedup. If I sit down on the floor and call to them and rattle the treatback a bit, they do come running out of the hutch and clamber all overme to get food. They even stand up against me!! But if I go to petthem, they move away adn when they see Im not going to try again theycome back!!:colors:

My new guy, Flopsy Bun-Bun hates being picked uptoo!! At the breeder's he let us hold him for awhile, but at home... Ipick him up and he's fine for about two seconds then he struggles likeCRAZY (my arm is all scratched up from last night), however, if Imanage to sit down while still holding him, and put him on my lap, herelaxes a bit (although he's still breathing hard from his fight withme!!)

I'm worried I put him off when we first got him because I attacked hisfur so much (it had SOOOO many matts in it!!) with scissors and acomb...perhaps he's scared I'll hurt him again??? He does let me pathim occasionally...and he seems pretty relaxed around the house, butdoes NOT like to be held!!

Thanks everyone! Mine are the sameway, they'll come up to me no problem and wait for me at the front ofthe cage whenever I walk in the room, but reach out for them andthey're gone. I've had them for 7 months, so you'd thinkthey'd be adjusted by now :cool:

Back