Hiya*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NetherlandDwarf

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jamie and I am a new co-owner of a baby bunny.

I had been looking for a pet for my daughter, who is eight, I wanted something that she could maintain and bond with.Twoyears ago she was in 4-H showing our dog, learning everything you could possibly learn about a dog and including agility. After moving back to Washington (my husband is military) our dog got ill with an aggressive cancer and died. A year since has gone by, I have never seen a kid so dedicated in taking care of an animal. And I also miss having a little fellow around the house. So thoughtit was time to start looking into a pet.It took me awhile to think weighting the pros and cons... I grew up with tons of pets, all except owning a bunny. For what ever reasons I kept coming back to the idea of a bunny. I started my research, learning whatever I could to determine which breed would suit our lifestyle at the moment, learning what comes with owning a bunny, what to expect. After all the research, I thought a bunny would work out perfectly. Of course I consulted with the husband (after the research lol). Then came my daughter's decision. I have never put the idea of a bunny in her head, but the mere mention of a bunny got her so excited. So we both went back the the internet rereading everything so she would understand about what comes with owning a bunny. We decided on getting a Netherland Dwarf. It was a hard decision to choose.. Next we drove out to look at some babies, who were just old enough to go home. Out of all the colors, my daughter choose the only little black one, with the little bottoms of his feet were grey.

We brought him home September 11, and each day that passes brings stronger bonds. Bunnies have a character all their own... I am so pleased with the results, we both love him to death! I am a bunny owner for life.

This past weekend we got to go to the fair and see the 4-H show their rabbits and see all the different breeds up close. It was so wonderful to see that.

I love that I have found this site as well! Since I am always seeking more information. I have been reading in the 101 section learning more new information, making sure we're doing everything right. I would always love to hear advice and opinions. And I still have many questions as well, like when the little bunny is in his hidey hole I'll hear him, what sounds like he is trying dig, is that a normal instinct to have? do most bunnies do that? And when he reaches 4 months of age, would it be wise to have him fixed? Should rabbits go for regular checkupsto the vet?

And I must share the name that was given to our littlebunny, it was tought for my daughter to choose a name, since it was all up to her... So the bunny ended up with a really long name... "Fujita Blackberry Bunny Bon Bon"

Thanks!

Jamie

Hi! What a great story, and an awesome name! I can't wait to see pics of your sweet bunny!

I think it's great that you want your daughter to learn how to take care of animals. I never really had that as a kid. We had an anole (lizard), gerbils, and fish, but they weren't really very interesting. When I was a senior in college, I got my first bunny, and I learned what I had been missing! Animals really can teach responsibility, pride (in yourself for being responsible), and compassion, something all kids need. I'm glad that you're taking responsibility for your bunbun too, since sometimes kids (and adults) can't tell when a bunny is ill, they hide it so well. Since getting Tony a year and a half ago, I've learned that I am an "animal person," which makes me feel a lot more myself. I really wish my parents hadn't been so allergic/worried that we'd be allergic and I could've learned that earlier.

This site is really great for advice on health, behavior, vets, etc. As to your first questions, digging is a normal behavior. Is he digging on something, like a t-shirt, box, etc, or just at the bottom of his cage? You can give him some paper to shred if you think he'd like that, as long as you're sure he's not eating too much of it. Eating a lot of fiber from a t-shirt or something is also not good. At the shelter I volunteer at, some bunnies don't get to have hidey-holes in their cages because they'll dig on the towel we line the cage with while they're in there, and in doing so knock over their water bowl, or eat too much of the towel. But if he's not hurting himself, by all means it is a normal and fun thing for him to do!

If you're sure your bunny is male, he can be neutered as soon as his "bits" appear (sorry if that's a bit crude). A lot of bunnies get visited by the "gender fairy" and Bonnie becomes Bruce or vice versa, so if he gets to 4-6 mo w/o appearing male, you should ask a vet to determine the gender or use some guides we have on this site. I reccomend spaying and neutering if you're not planning on breeding to improve the breed (ie if you're not a "rabbit fancier," a member of a club that breeds and shows rabbits). Neutered animals can still be shown in 4-H (if you want your daughter to do that) in a "pet class." De-sexing makes them healthier (especially for females who can get uterine cancer) and happier, IMHO, since they don't have repressed desires to procreate anymore. And I don't think anyone but responsible breeders should breed rabbits.

Both of my bunnies are de-sexed, but they were fixed before I got them. They are a bonded pair (Tony and Muffin). My bf's bunny (Benjamin) was not neutered when we got him, but he got neutered before he started any of those undesirable behaviors (humping, spraying urine, being mean) that unneutered bunnies can have. Fixing is pricey, but well worth it. Ben's neuter was probably $200 total. Spays are more expensive.

Ok, well there's my welcome essay! Welcome! I hope you like it here!

ETA: Benjamin is a little Nethie too! Aren't they the cutest!

:welcome1

love the name!

can't wait to hear more about him, i :heartsnethies:nod

~A

Hi Jaime and kiddo and bun!
Neutering is definitely the way to go. My boys' neuters cost about 120 each, so obviously, the price will differ from vet to vet, and region to region.

Though it might look like a hefty price tag, it will save you from becoming frustrated with your little bun. Aggression, frustration, poor litterpan habits (yes, they can be fully potty trained!), and that all time favourite, humping and spraying can be eliminated through desexing.

Desexing will also greatly amplify your bun's lifespan, as rabbits are particularly prone to complications and cancers of the reproductive organs.

As for digging, some seem to really relish pawing through something. Just be sure that the litter you purchase isn't cedar or pine, and your bun's lungs will stay healthy.

Your bun's name is wonderful. Did the "Blackberry" part come from Watership Down?

Thank you everyone!

His digging, he seems to dig or scratch the bottom of his hidey hole. He has nothing in there, so I thought he might like a little something in his home, for comfort, so I put somebedding in there for him, the paper pulp stuff. But I don't think he liked it, because as soon as he went into his little home he was hell bent on pushing it all out! It was soo funny to watch him with all his might, stretching his little body all the way out, just to push that stuff out of his home. So I guess he like a bare floor. He doesn't do it in any other part of his cage. There is one other place he does it, the bunny has moved into my daughter's My Little Pony Castle. He absolutely loves that place and its fun for my daughter, because she can play with him with most of her toys. He loves to push the ponies around like he's rearranging them. Back to the digging, when he is in his castle, he'll do his little digging on the bare floor of the castle. It doesn't matter where the castle is either, i'll block off the kitchen so he can have the run of the place, and i'm always sure to put his castle in with him, and he'll do it then too.

One other question I do have is chewing. I have read so much about how bunnies love to chew. I made sure to have items he can chew on, but he hasn't started chewing yet. Is it because he's still young?

And water bottles, I don't think he knows how to use them yet, so I have a little dish of water that I keep right under his water bottle. I always have to fill up the dish. Will he learn to use the water bottle on his own or is there away to do this?

Thank you all very much,

Jamie

The blackberry part of the name, was something my daughter thought up. I know this part of the year is when we are pretty much covered with black berry vines and a lot of berry picking is going.

Welcome to RO!

like many other people, i can't wait to see your little guy.

as for chewing, some rabbits like to chew more than others. some like to chew different things. my one picky bun echo doesn't like to chew wood blocks, and instead likes to shred papers and chew electrical cords! i give him ropeish stuff that is like the cords so he has kinda stopped.

he is still probably scoping out his surroundings and figuring out the lay of the land. he will need to chew to keep his teeth at the proper length, as they are continiously growing. he will chew when he needs to.

I've got one guy that only throws stuff; never chews.
BTW, I've heard that females tend to dig more than males.. true or not, I don't know, but my unspayed girlie is a champion digger.

Don't know a specific answer to the waterbottle question,but when his/her tummy is old enough to cope with it,, smearing a bit of banana on the underside of the water bottle might stimulate the licking action required to move the ball stopper.
(Just a theory, mind you...)

Hey! Welcome to RO!! Another person from WA yay!!! You must have gone to the puyallup fair then? I show rabbits also. Maybe if your daughter ever makes it to state in 4h then I will see her!

That is so CUTE that he plays in the castle!

Others answered your other questions, but I wanted to add that the water bottles drive me NUTS so I prefer bowls. click-clack, click-clack, all night long.

Latest posts

Back