Hip probs?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bun-mommy

Reaction score
My rabbit Roy is 7 years old. We just lost his friend Jake (female) seven months ago. Jake stopped hopping around and her legs seemed to bother her. Her feces got all over her bottom and she always seemed wet. Then she began having "episodes" where her eyes would roll back in her head and she'd fall on her side and she would act paralyzed for a minute or two and she would twitch. This happened several times until she died.
Now Roy is showing some pain in his legs and doesn't move as much. His poop has become very small and his ears just flop down instead of staying up. His legs have a little bit of poop on them, but he's not wet. I'm afraid that the same thing is happening to him.
He also sits hunched in his cage a lot. He used to lay down or sit, but now he just stays in the corner all hunched up.

Last edited:
it sounds like Jake was having seizures... not sure what the underlying problem is with Roy, but it sounds like a trip to a rabbit-savvy vet is in order. we have a library of GOOD rabbit vets here: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f21/

Get him to the vet! Ask about it whether or not it could be e. cuniculi. I know it can manifest in some sort of hind limb paralysis. If it is EC, then rapid aggressive treatment is needed, to halt the deterioration.

The vet is the most important thing. However, there are oxbow glucosamine hay tablets for rabbits and small animals available if it turns out to be a bit of arthritis. She is getting older, so like us our joints get achy in time.

• thanks shananagrams! i just might try buying some of those tablets, i hope it helps!
  • JBun I'm not sure what e. cuniculi is, but I think I need to start some research.
  • LakeCondo I'm definately gonna try to get him to eat hay, a cold blockage, like a cold is causing him to not poop right? recommend any particular type of hay?
  • Imbrium your girls are so sweet!

Last edited:

EC is a pretty nasty disease ><

"blockage" means in the GI tract, like a hairball or gas or something that could lead to GI stasis... ANY kind of grass hay is always good for GI issues.

I think EC is highly under-recognised by even good rabbit vets since it doesn't always cause symptoms until the immune system is comprimised.

There are a variety of things that could be causing this rabbit's symptoms. THe best option is to get him to a rabbit savvy vet and make sure eveything is ok. It does sound like Jake was having seizures. Lack of use of back legs for Roy could have to do with Encephalitozoon Cuniculi- (E. Cunculi), or even something like an injury to the back. ALso, he could be dealing with GI stasis. Only a rabbit savvy vet can fully diagnose and treat it. It sounds liek he's in pain the way he is sitting hunched up. Being 7 years old, you could see a variety of these things- or even like arthritis.
Also, what's this rabbits diet? Does he drink alot of water? Treats? Veggies?

Latest posts

Back