hide the food dish

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorguarder08

Reaction score
This game is NOT fun lol. Freckles is great about leaving her food dish alone while theres food in it but once it's empty, well then its fair game. Basically she will move the food dish to where ever she decides to put it. Most days I do no mind this game but when I have about 5 minutes to get to work because I get called in 4 and a half hours early then yeah it makes feeding her before work extra hard. Some times it's only a few inches from where I put it the day before. Some times it's hiding in her chewable tube. BUT sometimes the most annoying thing ever is when she puts the food dish wedged into the tube and in her litter box so I cannot find it grr it makes me mad. I think she just likes to play this game for the fun of it and then when I do find it she expects me to pet her as if she was a good girl.

Aren't bunnies fun? I am lucky that mine don't really play with their food dishes. Ginny does tend to throw it off her shelf, but I don't think she likes stuff up there. Amelia will try to pick them up, but I use ceramic bowls which are too heavy for her to do much with.

You can try a bowl that attaches to the cage. There are a few different types from metal ones that hang on (not so good as a determine rabbit can pull it off) to ones that clamp onto the side and the bowl comes out. The rabbit can't move the bowl around, so it stays put. The cage you have does play a part as some sit higher up that others which is not always good if the bars are already high.
The bowls I use are from the bird section of Petsmart. They are metal and clamp onto the cage, they cost about $5-10. I have the 20oz size for water, but smaller could be used for food.

I have those metal bowls for my birds the smallest ones which I have and that I've been able to find are $5 and I really don't mind her playing with her food dish it only bothers me when I am trying to feed her before work cause I have little to no time. Besides once my cousin builds my rabbit hutch then she will be outside and the food bowl won't have to many hiding places.

You could try to just sprinkle her food on the floor. I've heard it makes it more like "foraging" for food, and they won't eat it as fast.

Popcorn almost always dumps out his food dish, I think he doesn't like sticking his face in the bowl (it's a small bowl since they only get 1/8 cup twice a day). His cage is relatively small so it's easy to find, but his bowl has teeth marks all over it.

I gave my bun a small flat dish for his pellets and this morning I woke up to it being pushed under his litter box o_O

Guess the clip on bowls will be my next purchase.

Sometimes Hannah likes to dump the bowls with lettuce and pushes them around (she never dumps the pellet bowl). I'm sure she'd carry them off if they weren't heavy ceramic. Bunnies are silly!

I don't want to get a clamp on bowl or a cermaic one i like the one she has and she has recently had her purple tube taken out of her cage until her hutch is built then she will get it back but until then she can only play with it when she is out of the cage.

I have a whole bunch of bunny dishes. Maybe if you have more than one dish, when you are in a rushyou won't have to search for the bowl.I also like the ceramic ones for water. I use corelle bowls for Buttecup.

Good luck,

Susan:)

Latest posts

Back