Hi!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandita Seaman

Reaction score
Hi! I'm so glad I found this forum, I am the new owner of a mini lop, she is a baby (I actually think she might be too young to have been sold, although I bought her from a local breeder), she is about 3 1/2 weeks old. I rescued a baby cotton tail a few months ago (she was dehydrated and I'd seen her wandering around the yard lost for a few days), we took care of her and tried not to over handle her, she did great and we released her (to the yard, a large fenced in yard) at 6 weeks. We still see her out there, but we missed having a bunny. On that premise we got a mini lop about a week ago, the breeder insisted that she was old enough to be separated from her mother, although I'm not sure now. She eats well though, and is a happy fat cuddly little thing.

I have never owned a domestic rabbit before & want to be sure I'm doing things right so she can have a happy full life.

Looking forward to learning a lot!

Pandita

Congratulations on the release of your rescued bunny and for becoming a new bunny carer ^.^ I'm only a first time owner of a baby mini lop myself so I'm not sure how young is too young but when I got Howl he was 5-6 weeks only completely weened couple of days.

I was concerned about him being too young but he was strong, healthy, eating solid, cleaning himself and litter trained and also happy away from mum and litter mates. So maybe it's a case by case thing?

Much love <3

Hi & welcome to the forum. There are many useful things in the library section about taking care of your bunny.

I hope you aren't giving her any greens yet, as that can cause diarrhea. If you've already introduced them & they haven't caused diarrhea, just don't increase the amount for a couple months. At her young age it's especially important that she have unlimited hay & unlimited alfalfa pellets. Timothy pellets are for adult rabbits that are full-grown.

Is she an indoor rabbit?

I need to look over and see how to post a pic or a profile pic. She is a house bunny, we have a large walled in yard, and I would like to let her out there more when she is older for exercise and sun. I haven't been giving her greens, she's nibbled on the grass outside some, but nothing substantial. She's on pellets, I'm not sure they are pure alfalfa though, I think it might be mixed greens of some sort, I'll have to look it over better. I don't have hay, but I'll have to look for some as I'm in the city and it's not readily available, does it have to be grass hay, or is alfalfa hay alright as I think I might be able to find that easier.

Welcome!!

Alfalfa hay would be fine now since she is so young but eventually you might want to find different hay.

Glad you found this...would love to see pics! If you look on the left on the main page there is a link called upload photos.

Congrats on your new little baby bun! Alfalfa hay is good for growing strong bones and fattening her up while she is still young. I would definitely try to find somewhere where you can eventually get Timothy hay. Can't wait to see pics!!

Any hay is fine. It wouldn't have to be timothy or alfalfa hay. Whatever people there feed to horses.

But hay is so helpful in keeping the digestive process going that unless a rabbit is allergic to it [very rare] they really need to eat hay every day.

Welcometo Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Hopefuly, your bunny will never get sick,if you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

Hi! I too am a new bunny owner of a netherland dwarf and i also feel that my bunny is too young to be sent away from the mummy =( she was exactly three week old but the breeder said that she refused milk so she fed her pellets and hay. she seems like a really nice lady though so i give her the benefit of the doubt.

so for now im just feeding my bunny alfafa hay and alfafa pellets from oxbow, they seem to be the most popular brand and the most easily available type :)

Latest posts

Back