Hi there!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dashinthezoo

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Julia, my husband is David and we have a new addition (er...well, about 4wks ago he was new...) and I had questions so I hoped to find a welcoming community to help us through this.

Our darling dear was a rescue bunny, he was a "failed" 4-H project who was left outside without proper care. He is a long hair, which is why outside was a problem for him. When he came to us, he was severely matted, dehydrated and just a little bag of bones. After a good shave down, Dash is regrowing his hair and has put on about two pounds.

We don't know exactly what breed he is, but I assume mixed, though he looks suspiciously like an American fuzzy lop from descriptions on the internet and books, my hubbie and I thought.

Here's a few pics of Dash:
---> This is when we first rescued him, being shaved by a groomer. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/Micah_kitty/dash.jpg

---> And here he is as of 5 minutes ago...hopping around and enjoying some out of cage time.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/Micah_kitty/2012-05-29_14-45-07_622.jpg

Anyway, we just have some new petparent questions and I'd love some people to talk to it about...turns out we're the only ones I know of that have a house rabbit.

Edit: I forgot to say, Dash shares the house with some other rescues, though many of different species. We also have five reptiles, three rats, three cats and a couple of fish. Although this is very pared down from our previous numbers, we still feel like we live in a zoo. ;3

Omg he is absolutely precious and how fabulous of you to have rescued him from such a horrible life before. You can tell he is being loved now!

I'm newer here too. I also know of no one that has a bunny and in addition my friends think I'm nuts for loving Agnes so much :) but this forum has been great! Lots of friendly people and you will always get answers here.

Welcome!!

He looks like a mini lop. Depending on his hair length he could be a fuzzy lop. Is the second picture his full coat? If so I'd definitely say mini lop. He is adorable. So glad he found a great family.

Welcome to RO!

What a sweetie he is! And will definitely be grateful to you for getting him out of the horrible situation he was put in. My Willard, who's a rescue, does.

Rabbits are awesome companions and an amazing experience.

Look forward to more stories of Dash and definitely more pics.

K:)

:thumbup:wave:

I have an American Fuzzy Lop on the way this weekend! Dash did look super fluffy, more fluffy than my Mini Lop ever does, so it sounds like your guess is spot on!

:) I can't wait to hear more about Dash and your other wee friends! Welcome!

^-^ Thank you for the wonderful welcome!

Nope, not his full coat, he's still growing it out. We had to shave him down to the skin. He could barely move he was so matted. He's been growing it out for about four weeks, roughly. I feel like every time I look at him it has gotten longer and fluffier.

We're still trying to figure out grooming habits. He's fine for brushing and combing his back, but he gets a bit antsy when we flip him over to do his belly and legs. I have been trimming around his back legs and netherbits because they were staining and matting faster than I could keep up with them. So...if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears! :D

Dashinthezoo wrote:
^-^ Thank you for the wonderful welcome!

Nope, not his full coat, he's still growing it out. We had to shave him down to the skin. He could barely move he was so matted. He's been growing it out for about four weeks, roughly. I feel like every time I look at him it has gotten longer and fluffier.

We're still trying to figure out grooming habits. He's fine for brushing and combing his back, but he gets a bit antsy when we flip him over to do his belly and legs. I have been trimming around his back legs and netherbits because they were staining and matting faster than I could keep up with them. So...if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears! :D

Having two long hairs (lion heads) understand the "antsy". It just takes time to get them to relax. I've been combing Neville since he was 6 weeks old, almost every day. He's now 5 months old, and still a little antsy when I do his underbelly, but he does calm down faster. Plus a few cheerios (his favorite treat)afterwards works wonders.

Hm...Treats...Yes. Just plain Cheerios?

(On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know if shredded coconut is bad for rabbits? Dash got into the rat food yesterday and was picking out the papaya, mango, and shredded coconut. >>; Oops. Its up high now and he can't get to it.)

Dashinthezoo wrote:
Hm...Treats...Yes. Just plain Cheerios?

(On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know if shredded coconut is bad for rabbits? Dash got into the rat food yesterday and was picking out the papaya, mango, and shredded coconut. >>; Oops. Its up high now and he can't get to it.)

Yep just plain cheerios.

Don't know about the shredded coconut, but the papaya I give to my bigger guys. Neville and Luna aren't old enough for fruit.Just observe his poo. If it's just a little it shouldn't hurt him, but you can tell if it does by the poo. (runny, different shaped).

Welcometo Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

What a cute bunny. My rabbits love craisins, banana chips and yogurt drops (from the pet shop).

Hopefuly, your bunny will never get sick,if you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

Back