Hi there, bunny folk! I'm a soon-to-be rabbit mommy from Rochester, New York!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mai_Vertigo

Reaction score
Hi there! My name is Christine, and I quite recently fell head-over-heels for a rabbit at our local Humane Society. To be perfectly honest, I never had any interest in adopting a rabbit at all. They were one animal that I just never really developed an interest in. I've had cats all of my life (I have one now as well, she is sleeping on the back of the couch) and I never expected that while I was visiting the cute kitties at the shelter, I would start having an interest in rabbits.
It started with a big girl named Darlene. To be honest, I am yet to have a full understanding of the breeds. I'm still learning. But she is very big, and brown, with long ears, and depending on how her head goes, one is always up and one is always down. She seemed so social and I started learning about rabbits after spending a bit of time with her. I still didn't expect to adopt one in the immediate future, though. I mentioned to the woman at the shelter that I was getting interested in bunnies, and she gave me some informational papers. She also introduced me to a strapping fellow named Adicus. I didn't see it coming, I didn't expect it at all, but within five minutes of spending time with him I was in love. According to his papers, and his page on the shelter site, he is a dwarf rex. He's white and black, and when you scratch his rear, he licks the air. He loves parsley and he seems very comfortable with people. He is five years old. Since I met him, I have been researching and learning as much about rabbit care as I can.

I hope to be able to bring him home by April 1st.

I just started a job, otherwise I wouldn't stand a chance financially with adopting him. But I need to save for a couple of weeks. During that time, I will be cleaning, setting up a space for him, and bunny-proofing all of the cords and anything else. I'm also going to build a wooden barrier around my bed so he can't get under it when he is out and about, and I'm going to remove the carpeting in my room, since he is quite a chewer according to the ladies at the shelter. He has been at the shelter since last August, so chances are good that he won't be adopted before I can bring him home. But still, it feels like a race against time. Unfortunately, they can't reserve him for that long. But luckily, I have bare minimum expenses elsewhere right now, since I'm still living at home, so the majority of my next few paychecks will be dedicated as bunny-money. The majority of rabbit-related expenses will be bunny-proofing and living space for him. I'm trying to learn as much as possible, as quickly as possible~

But I really wanted to meet some bunny owners, and hopefully learn some things from real people who love rabbits!

Thanks for reading, I know it kind of became a wall of text. ^-^;

Welcome to the bunny owning world! I too recently became a bunny owner!
Here is my handsome boy!ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1394225931.803496.jpg

:happyrabbit:
Welcome.
I'm also a new member so am reading all that i can on here. Wonderful active and informative forum.
Adicus sounds adorable... Best of luck to you. hope it all works out good for you and Adicus when he joins you .

Hiya! My name is Aubrey and I am a fellow new yorker. I live in Kingston. Congrats on your soon to be bunny, they tend to steal our hearts when we least expect it. RO is a great place, filled with tons of friendly, knowledgeable people. :)

hvanwyk28:
Oh my goodness, he is lovely! What's his name? He looks like he's super soft.

BigBunny:
Thank you! ^-^ Here are a few pictures of him, if you'd like to see. These are from the website for Lollypop Farm, which is our Humane Society.

http://www.petango.com/sms/photos/262/4e9727e4-849f-4deb-966a-8408f8d50e37.jpg

http://www.petango.com/sms/photos/262/e9286f57-2182-4f81-97a2-0c0ec0fee8fe.jpg

Aubrisita:
Hello Aubrey! I myself haven't ever been to Kingston. I grew up in Watertown, but consider myself a Rochester native, since I was born here, and have lived here for nearly six years as of now, since moving back.
I definitely agree with you; I wasn't expecting it at all! Like I mentioned, I had never even considered a bunny, but within a week I went from lukewarm on the subject, to working on bunny-proofing my room for the upcoming arrival of my new bunny buddy. c:

Mai_Vertigo: his name is Scruffles. He is a holland lop/mini Rex mix. Very soft!

Hey there and welcome to the forum :) Adicus is a beautiful rabbit :) There is so much to learn on this forum, you've certainly come to the right place.

Latest posts

Back