Hi! Newbie here! Mom to an amazing bunny & 2 terrific little girls!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! My name is Jacqueline. I recently got a black and white dwarf bunny for my 11 year old daughter, Amanda. His name is Oreo. I must confess, I am completely in love with little Oreo. He is so sweet. We have had him for less than 2 weeks, and he's brought so much joy to our home. He is friendly and loves to be petted! He will lay down in between the girls (my other daughter is Whitney, age 7) and let all of us fawn over him. He even licks the girls! We could not love him more!

I'm happy to have found this website! And to have a place to share our sweet Oreo.

The only issue we are having concerns litter box training. Oreo is about 2 1/2 months old. He is just a baby, but he pees and wees all over his cage and all over my daughter's room. He does not go in one particular spot. We have a litter box set up in the corner of his cage with yesterday's news in it ( which differs from his regular bedding). We have towels all over Amanda's room for now to protect the carpet. We constantly scoop the poo and dirty bedding into the litter box in an attempt to teach him where to go. It's probably just going to take time, but any additional advice is appreciated.

All in all, Oreo is a wonderful pet and amazing addition to out family.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Jacqueline

Babies are infurriatingly difficult to litter train :p! You're not alone

Try changing his litter only a couple times a week. If he poops on the floor, pick up his poop and put it in his litter box. Restrict his space to his cage and maybe a 6 x 6 foot space until he gets better at it. That way he has enough room to run and binky, but not so much that he can't make it to the box.

The very best thing you can do to help litter train is get him neutered, which you can do in as early as 6 weeks from now. This helps because he can spray and leave many more "marking poos" when he's unaltered. But remember, he will probably ALWAYS leave a few marking poos, lol. That's just how buns are!

H Jacqueline, welcome to RO.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your Oreo. He sounds like a real cutie.

Do you have bedding in his cage? That could be confusing him too. Maybe get grass mats for the bottom of his cage.

Mine all have the homemade cages out of the NIC panels. Nice and big for them to move around in. I also use Wood Stove Pellets for litter, much cheaper. With 4 bunnies I need to watch my $.

Susan:)

Hi Susan!

I'm using Care Fresh for bedding and Yesterdays New for his litter box. What are wood stove pellets? I'm all for saving some $$! :)

I will try to post a pic of him! I would love to see pics of yours, too!

Jacqueline

Hello and welcome to RO. So excited for you and can't wait to see pics or Oreo especially with your girls.

Sounds like you are getting some great advice on the litter training.

PICS PICS PICS :biggrin2:

Jacqueline,

Wood Stove Pellets are used for wood stoves. I get mine at Lowes or Ronas. I understand you can get them at feed stores, I haven' got a clue if we have feed stores in my area. They cost about $6.00 for a 40 pound bag. I really like them because I don't get a urine odor and with 4 bunnies that wouldn't be good in a 2 bedroom apartment.

I bought screens from Walmart (craft section) and cover the pellets. This makes for a very easy clean up. The odd time a bunny (usually Winston) will chew the grid but doesn't eat the plastic.

I would ditch the Care Fresh, I would tend to think that will confuse the bunny so he will end up peeing on both. Try the grass mats. I'd say felt blankets or towels but he may be a chewer and you don't want him eating that. Mine are quite good they all have blankets that I made for them. The just put holes in the blankets they don't swallow the material.

Susan:)

Hello and welcome to RO. You may want to get some apple or banana boxes--the kind with a top on them. We cut holes in both ends so our bunnies can go in and out or thru and put a litter box inside. They hang out and use the litter boxes too. We have bedding in some and shredded newspaper in others as they love to play and dig in the newspaper.

Hi Julie! It's nice to meet you!

Thank you for the great suggestions, Susan! Wood stove pellets are much cheaper than Yesterdays News!

I love the idea of giving Oreo a blanket! How sweet! I don't think he's a big chewer, but I'm going to keep a close eye on him once I get him a blanket. I may wait until he's litter box trained.

Have a nice day!!

Jacqueline

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunny's recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

I have listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

Latest posts

Back