Hi, new user, new rabbit owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tqhx

Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to introduce myself as i may ask questions/seek advice from time to time. Names Pete and im a new rabbit owner. Ive owned dogs, cats, rats before. Still have a small dog and 2 cats. Did TONS of research and pulled the trigger on a very nice 4 month old black rex, named her Olive.

Just got her spayed, and litterbox training is going well. Well, she only goes in the litterbox, then later she will dig and kick it all over the place but she keeps it to her cage so im fine with that.

Here is a pic of my 18 year old cat and Olive after making friends

229562_1653513828570_1558779784_1253962_5900839_n.jpg

Oh i wanted to ask a question as well. Its a rather pointless one i guess and no one really may be sure. Olive is about 7.5 lbs now at 4 months, is that about normal? I dont want to make her obese but i am kind of hoping she will be over 10 pounds. I just cut back her food i was giving her as much as she wanted, and decided to stop that and am on about a 1/4 cup twice a day, with as much timmy hay as she desires.

Well Welcome!!! What a beautiful Rex you have.

The Standard Rex ideal weight range of 7.5-10.5 pounds although females can weigh as much as 10.5 pounds.

1/4 cup of pellets a day should be just fine and as you are already doing and as much timothy hay as she can eat and should be provided at all times. (helps prevent fur block)Fresh greens should be given as well, but new foods should be introduced slowly and you should check to make sure foods are safe before feeding. The Standard Rex Rabbit, like most rabbits, can have fresh fruit, but not too much because of the high sugar content. Treats can be dried or fresh papaya,banana(whole) oranges peel and all, strawberries. My bunners looove my fresh basil I grow in my yard.

Congrats on your new bunners!!!! More pictures!!!

Thank you for the reply, i do have some more photos i can add later.

The funny thing here is, she wont eat fruit or veggies at all. I tried the normal healthier stuff first like carrots celery etc, no go....so trying strawberries lettuce banana grapes...all no go.

So far ive found she will eat her pellets, hay, dandelions, and rosemary. I really dont give her much rosemary but ive been giving her a couple dandelions every day since my yard is full of em, and she goes crazy over them. I just cant believe it still that she does not like carrots!

She may like them later, just keep trying to intoduce them. Carrots should be sparingly and used more a s treat. Just done feed regular lettuce, it can lead to the trots. Icky for bunners. My Flemish Giant is pretty picky and does not eat strawberries or grapes either. I keep trying though. He did not like dried papaya at first but goes bonkers over it now. It's like bunny crack and so are black oil sunflower seeds (sparingly). I give the seeds for conditioning his coat prior to shows though but they love them as a treat. Try some basil and Craisens too.

Only other picture i have so far uploaded

217310_1635297893183_1558779784_1226039_5400866_n.jpg

This is her first day at her new home so she was being shy and sitting in her litterbox in the corner. The other picture with my cat was from after a week when she settled in

edit: didnt see your response before. i will keep trying, i planned on using carrots or veggies as a treat sparingly. In the process of starting up my herb garden with parsley, cilantro, basil, and may test the waters with those. Im just a bit cautious of the spices as i do not want to make her tummy upset! Thats why i may give her a rosemary leaf once a day (and they are TINY) as a reward if she uses her litter, or comes when i call her, or goes to her cage when i say "cage cage cage" haha

She is sooo adorable!!!!

Try some willow branches for chewing too or apple branches. MOST bunnies love them and is good for them. I buy all my feed and hay from a local rabbitry so it is all fresh. She sells willow wreathes which have the dried leaves. They are very good for bunnies. Thor, my flemish and my Lionheads Karmer and Harvey demolish them rapidly like piranhas. LOL Here is her link if you want to take a look. She has a ton of info for new bunny owners. LOVE HER!!!
http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/#feed & hay

I really wish i had a good feed or rabbitry around here. I had to drive over an hour just to get my rabbit from an unregistered breeder i found on hoobly. I do have a few local feed stores but they have 0 for rabbits. Maybe just not very popular in my area =( I may see about ordering some of that stuff from your friend, id love to find some healthy type treats for training assistance. Olive was unfortunately not handled much or at all for the first 4 months so its been tough getting her to trust me and let me pet her, but she is really improving thankfully

She does ship her product. Her mini hay bales are the best . I get all of her varieties. Her prices are really good too.

Improvement is very good. Sounds like she just needs more time to adjust and trust. If there is improvemnt sounds like she will eventually bond with you. I will keep my fingers crossed. Bunnies do take time as I am sure you already know. I am sooo happy she has a good home :)

Hi Pete,Olive is Lovely.

My babies like kale, dandylion (from the store) both parsley's, cilantro, leaf lettuce, dill, CARROT TOPS, carrots and spinach. They get veggies twice a day morning and evening also get pellets.

Fruits - blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, apples, cantaloupe. I'm sure I'm forgetting some foods. The fruits are in moderation except for Buttercup who will be 13 in August. I feel he deserves any treat he wants. He's so cute he stands at the kitchen door waiting for treats.

They LOVE pumpkin too

Susan:)

Hey welcome to the forum!:wave: love to see another standard Rex slave. I have one too named Willow. As far as how big do they get? Well my fatty is most certainly over 10.5 lbs. I recently had to add her to the fat bunnies anonymous :nod:nod:embarrassed::nod. She loves bananas as does her husbun Walter, they also like grapes and apples. I feed them mainly romain, and red and green leaf lettuce and sometimes cilantro and curly parsley. During growing season I will give them basil and mint. I give then pellets and unlimited Timothy hay.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!! Here is a few more pics i uploaded to this site from my phone =)

Here she is right after being spayed! Poor girl

14932_231900_130000000.jpg

From another angle so she isnt too embarrassed

14932_231900_130000001.jpg

And two of her in her little house i got at Petco, she loves sitting in it with her head out so she can keep an eye on whats going

14932_231900_130000002.jpg

14932_231900_140000003.jpg

Oh my goodness she's too cute! I can just imagine how soft she is! Let me tell you also about a lady I found on eBay that sells a lot of cool pet stuff for birds, buns, guinea pigs, etc- this is her eBay store. http://stores.ebay.com/Mayas-Katies-Playground?_trksid=p4340.l2563 She's very sweet and her prices are good too. She has some little wicker bowls with all kinds of goodies in them, and it was nice to buy one of those since I didn't know what chewy stuff my boys would like. Congrats!

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunny's recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy. She is beautiful.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

I have listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

shes so cute and lucky to have found you!!!

I would say she is older than you were told though, due to the dewlap and her full grown features. 4 month old rex would start going through the awkward stage around 5-6 months and she looks like she has been through it...your probably looking at a yearish old.

and dont worry about her lack of interest in veggies or fruits! She is probably not used ot having them, at all, so their new to her and she hasnt found out how amazing they taste yet!!!

Latest posts

Back