Hi! New to this rabbit-motherhood =)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkth

Reaction score
I just got my rabbit today, he/she is 2 months old. (don't know the sex yet) And i want to know

Should i let it sleep in the cage, or in a comfy basket?

How can i get him/her to stop jumping/running when i softy and slowly pet its paw or head?

I actually tried sitting still, while it remained sitting aross from me. He/she actually came and sniffed me and before I let it out to run around, it rose up on its hind legs in the cage and I brought my face to him/her and it kissed me (i think lol) Then it did it again, and then when I was still and it came near me, it did it again! so why would it run from me?

And my mom told me to put it in the cage because it was getting late, and I know that I kind of messed up the trust thing while trying to catch it and put it in the cage =/ (< thoughts?)

(any recommendations on the best food for it to eat?)

Storm.

Hi there! My boys are about 2.5 months old - so just a little older than your bun. I have read that pellets and plenty of fresh hay is the best for this age, but my boys do enjoy grass (they have a run on the grass) and some veges (small amounts). Its not recommended to give veges this young but my boys tolerate it pretty well - you just have to be careful.

The behaviour of your bunny sounds pretty normal to me, he/she is just getting to know you I think!!! They are quite cautious creatures being prey animals, getting a bunny kiss is so cute, mine do come up to me when lying on the floor and sniff all around your face - so cute!

Good luck!

it takes a while hun, food works if they associate you with food they are more likely to bond quicker,

i once had a very bonded rabbit, he protected me wen i was pregnant he just hop up on my lap, he sat out side the back door an waited for me lol, no need for a run with him at all

Bonding with your Bunny might help you gain his trust and also understand him a bit more.

He's very young, and has been separated from everything that he ever knew and felt safe, so be patient.

I would suggest enclosing him in a cage over night unless he can be free roam and thre whole room is bunny proofed because he is most likely to be active at dawn and dusk and so it may not correlate with the hours you want him to sleep.

If you put your country in your profile then you will get more advice about food because obviously it differs country to country. Hopefully right now he is still on the diet that he was on before he came to you?

when i got him, he had carrots and grass in his cage. And this morning i fed him carrots by hand.

I tried to see if it was a girl or boy but its too much hair down there! and he/she keeps jumping and whatnot. (sigh)

As others said, s/he needs time to bond with you and learn to trust you. Some rabbits will always be more jumpy than others. My dutch wants everything on her own terms, and though she trusts me and I've had her for 2 years now (since she was a tiny baby) she will still hop away if she doesn't feel like being pet. On the flip side she'll come up and demand attention when it suits her.

One thing I've found very helpful is to reward her after I pick her up. She hates to be picked up, so if I need to she now knows to expect a treat when I put her back down and tolerates being picked up much better. When you have to put your bun back in the cage at night, try giving a treat once s/he's back inside.

Latest posts

Back