Hi! New member here. Just adopted bunny. Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristyn

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is kristyn. I'm new here. (It wont let me update a pic for profile..everytime I click to upload nothing happens...)

Anyway. I just adopted a lionhead bunny 3 weeks ago...under a year old ..named martha..bunny wailer. Lol. Well...

I noticed a few days ago pinworms in her poop. So we dosed her for the first time last night after lots of research. ( Shes a house bunny were also working on potty training....and we have no other animals) anyway... shes also excessively itching. Everywhere. Her fur looks good... shes happy..eating.. binkying... she has fit in and got used to us pretty quick. Took her a few days to warm up but shes doing great.

We did just take her to vet for teeth trim... before I noticed the worms. But I am 29 weeks prego and am on a budget and wanted to see if there was anything i can do before taking her in again...

So we gave her first dose last night. She seems great so far.... just the itching us worrying me. Is that because of the worms? I know it's a side affect from what I read... her fur is nice... everything seems okay.. just want advice!! I def keep her area clean. Have been cleaning up her poops immediately and vacuuming around the room she basically stays in. (She has access to house but stays in the room..)

I've just never deal with this. Do the pinworms die pretty automatic? I know we does again in 12 days for the eggs...but should she stil be itching?
Just need advice or support!

Sorry I'm all over the place !!

agaung tried to even upload a pic here for u guys but it wont let me!!! Ugh. Frustrated. Haha.

Thankyou in advance!

We used piperazine to treat at 1/4 teaspoon on her pellets.

I do not see any black spots..irritation...skin looks clear..

This morning I saw another worm! This is the 2nd day after dosing. Will I still see them a few more days? This is what I'm confused about and nothing I look up tells me.. and she still is scratching.. when should itching stop because of worms?

Besides all of this shes still acting fine..running around..playing...

This worm thing has me freaked out !

Thankyou for replying!

Also. Thankyou for the links they're def helpful! Those poor bunnies in the pictures though esp ear mites omg!!!

You shouldn't be seeing pinworms. But the problem is that pinworms are very difficult to clear up and usually take treatment of several consecutive days. I don't have experience using piperazine so don't know if it can be used multiple days in a row, but when using fenbendazole to treat pinworms it's recommended in some medical sites to give 5 days in a row to make sure it clears them up. So that's what I would do. I would use liquid fenbendazole and dose at 20mg/kg once a day for 5 days, 10 days off, then one more dose to make sure they are all gone. It's available otc as liquid Safeguard goat dewormer, Panacur for Rabbits(use that term specifically) on amazon(paste, do not substitute using the horse/cattle paste), or you should be able to just phone your vet and pick some up from them. Just make sure they give you enough for at least 6 doses and that it's a liquid or paste and not something like the granules.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Pinworms_inf_lagomorphs.htm
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exotic-and-laboratory-animals/rabbits/parasitic-diseases-of-rabbits

The other option would be to check with your rabbit savvy vet to see if dosing 5 consecutive days with piperazine is safe or not, and using that instead if the vet says it is safe.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

With the scratching, since there are no external signs of parasites I'm guessing it's related to the pinworm infection, and if so should clear up once the pinworms are taken care of.

Good morning!

Well. Martha is doing a lot better now.

Very little itching... and I havent seen any pins.

I'm still worried about it. Been keeping her area clean. She seems a lot better. Was doing the bunny 500s and when I was petting her she was all sprawled out.. so definitely seems to feel better thank god!

My daughter and I built her a cardboard bunny castle yesterday. Haha.

I'm still having trouble uploading pics! Would love to show everyone her and was going to upload her castle.

Whenever I try to upload I literally have tried a thousand times but nothing happens! Had never had this issue on any other site.

May try to use fiances phone later and see if it will let me on his.

Thankyou all for your advice.
And thanks Jbun for looking out!

Latest posts

Back