Hi, I'm new!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyla

Reaction score
Here is my new "baby" Diggs! I think he is a mini-lop, or mini Holland lop, he is 3 years old and I just got him in Feb! I adopted him from my old friend who has a new baby and not enough time for him. Poor Diggs was an outdoor bunny, living on the balcony his whole life, after the pet store. But now I know he is happy indoors and warm. I took him to the vet (he's only 2.25pounds) and had him neutered already. He loves tocome out of his cage. He hides in his cardboard box every time he comes out. He's recently been doing laps in and out of his cage, he runs in, through the wood hut, does a circle, ending in the litter box! what a goofball, I know he's having fun.
I madehim a cage out of those organizational cubes, he hasn't explored the upper levels yet, I might have to make him a ramp...

I'm trying to get to know him and make him more comfortable in his new home, He is soo cute and I love him already! I'm also happy that I can gush about my bunny here and no one will think I'm crazy.

:biggrin2:

His first day indoors.

Awww -he's adorable!
He looks rather like my female lop-ear..

Welcome to the forums and yes, it's nice to be able to 'gush' about the bunnies and feel like no one is going to look at you like you've grown a 2nd head, haha.

Hi welcome to RO.

Diggs is Adorable. I bet he just loves being indoors with his new Mommie.

I look forward to seeing more pictures of Diggs and hearing all about him.

Susan:)

AWE! Diggs is so cute...or very handsome I should say.;-) Welcome to RO! So glad to have you here.

Kyla wrote:
I'm also happy that I can gush about my bunny here and no one will think I'm crazy.

That is the beauty of this site, when I talk to my parents or in-laws about my rabbits they think I need professional help, but hereits normal!;)

I am glad you got this little guy, he is a handsome bunny. This is a great site with a lot of friendly, helpful and experienced people.

Dave

Thanks everyone, I loved looking at all your bunny pictures!
Today Diggs jumped up and explored the higher areas of his cage!! I had to use my cell phone as my boyfriend Patrick broke our camera :(
Diggs.jpg

He used the wood dome thingy as a step to get up, although I don't think he really needed it.
diggs2.jpg

And then with his newfound jumping skills he jumped onto his hidey box!
diggs1.jpg

Then he jumped on the couch, but I was out of the room and all i saw was fur on the couch!

Welcome to the forum Kyla! :welcome1

Your Diggs is exactly like my Bebe. She is a Holland Lop and I believe your Diggs is a Holland Lop too. I have the same story as you, as I adopted Bebe from a friend who couldn't keep Bebe anymore. The friend bought Bebe from a Pet Store too. I am sure Diggs will be very spoiled. :D

Here is a picture of my Bebe. She is a jumper too.

2i1cw13.jpg

hee hee, she's so cute!! Can you pick her up?(Bebe) She can jump quite high, I'm waiting til Diggs can jump up on his own to the couch! I'm sure he just has to get the courage. He is living up to his name, he loves to dig at paper towels, cardboard, sometimes my rug, and i just gave him a big towel he digs at and bunches, I love it!

Kyla wrote:
Can you pick her up?(Bebe) She can jump quite high,
Bebe loves to be held and cuddled. :bunnyheart

And she has jumped over our 4 foot pen walls. :shock:
Bebe also digs and scratches the bottom of her cage which can be annoying. :grumpy:

Oh Kyla, those are such cute pictures!
We have 3 lops at the moment (and a new litter of 1 week-olds)

I swear I would keep ALL of them if I had the room - as it is we're fortunate to have found great homes for our other babies.

This is our Lop family:

006.jpg

004.jpg

001.jpg

I don't show the little lop of the last litter we kept "Smudge"..I'll have to get one of him also - sorry if the pics are a bit big, my youngest was taking the pics, 'cause believe it or not, she does a bettter job than I do, lol.

Anneq: oh they're beautiful! I love the tiny ears. they are all so cute, i want the white one!! I had some teeny stuffed easter bunnies that they remind me of, i gave them to my baby niece. She calls them "nunnies"

Pet_Bunny: I just burnt my french toast looking at pics of Bebe and Pebbles! they are adorable together. Diggs does sometimes dig at the floor of his cage too, it is vinyl stickon tiles, and the edges are coming up a bit. I made him a digging box with paper towel in it to try and get him to use that instead, but he hasnt used it much.. i think i need something else for him to dig at.

also, I havent been able to pick Diggs up yet. When i got him i changed his cage to the door in front, and he has only ever been lifted out. SO now he loves it, and i dont want him to be forced into anything, so i dont know when to try and pick him up!

I'd say lure him out with a small treat at first, and maybe make a noise or say 'come' so he will begin to associate coming out with something positive, and then later will do it w/o the treat..I try never to put my hands in their cage and lift them out if I can help it - so their cage doors are never shut unless it's bed-time..after all, they do consider the cage or pen their home..can you imagine a big hand coming through your door hauling you out? lol
But yes, joking aside, I think it best if they can come out on their own.

We're fortunate to have a secure pen in back so our can go out and dig (you outta see the tunnels Rosey has dug)..but before we had access to a pen, we had harnesses and leashes and would take them to parts of the yard where they could dig and chew roots and such.
They def need to dig and chew to stay content..it's pretty much what makes up their whole identity as a rabbit, so you want to find ways to accomodate them in that.
And old cardboard box with filled with stuff to dig works good too

Kyla wrote:
also, I havent been able to pick Diggs up yet.
The more you can handle him the more he will get use to it. Hold him firmly like a football, cradled in your arms, made him feel secure so he won't struggle. Start by holding him close to the floor, so if he jumps out, he won't fall down. Give him treats (one alfalfapellet at a time) after you hold him.

Good tips, i just have to get my hands under him while he's relaxed. He loves being petted and I've been trying to pet him and slide a hand under his front legs and keep him calm just to get him used to it. I've tried twice to pick him up and both times I got one hand under and he bolted. I don't want to undo any of the bonding so far and make him scared of me! or make him nervous that i'll pick him up whenever I pet him.

Latest posts

Back