Hi, I'm new and would like to know what breed my bunny is.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisysMom

Reaction score
I rescued Daisy from my neighbour. Hepurchased her from a farm market. She was tiny when he gother, perhaps only a month old (I've attached a pic).

My neighbour had her for a week andkept her outside in acardboard boxand was not taking care of her probably.:X We live in a new development and it's wide open at themoment, so she was vulnerable to any wild animal harming her.:(

I started sneaking over to feed and cuddle herand instantlyfeel in love with her. After a couple of days she figured outhow to escape and would hop over to my backdoor and wait forme. After a week my neighbour told methat he was going to get rid of her :shock: So I immediatelytook the opportunity to take her.

She is now I would guess around 4 months and a very spoiled littlebunny. She is super friendly, loves to cuddle and be pickedup. Gives us kisses all the time (she loves to lick ourhands). She is not fully litter trained, but she isstill very young and I'm working with her. She isalso a very smart bunny. Understands when I say NO when shetries to go behind the TV stand to chew on the wires.

I've brought her to the vet who says that she is veryhealthy. I'll be taking her back to have her spayed nextmonth. Daisy has graduated from a bachelorapartment to a condo with loftcage:D I just bought her a much bigger cage and she isloving it. So much so that she refused to leave her cageyesterday. I left her door open and she was havingtoo much fun with her new toys to spend time with us. :p

Anyway, this post is getting long, my question is what kind of breed isshe? I'm thinking she is a Himalayan, but she is verytiny.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Here is a pic of when I first got herhttp://community.webshots.com/photo/178892856/178894758JXcbKq

These are pictures I took yesterday of her in her new home:

http://community.webshots.com/album/202476606EBtWgG

Not sure what type of rabbit she is, but she is definately:
A. Very cute and
B. Very LUCKY you were living next door!
Congratulations on getting a dream bun!

She's a very adorable Himalayan marked NetherlandDwarf :) I believe she is most likely purebred--not all Netherland Dwarfs sport the classic round heads andtiny ears.

Pam

Warmest Welcome, DaisysMom! :)

Sounds as if it was Love At First Sight for Daisy, as well. Her giving you kisses demonstrates her love and appreciation of you.

Unless you have eyes in the back of your head, I'd block off the areabehind the t.v. With these rabbits: When you least expect it, expectit. They're curious, fast, smart, and diligent as you've probablyalready found out by now. I thought that saying No was enough, butthey're quiet and persistent and when I got distracted...then there wastrouble.

She's precious. :)

-Carolyn

There you go! Nowyou know what she is AND you know everybody thinks she's cute and luckyto have you! Welcome to our forum!

RaspberrySwirl

Hi,

I agree with the people that said she looks like a himi markednetherland dwarf. Next time you take her to the vet have the vet checkthe teeth. The breeds that commonly carry the round head sometimes willhave teeth that dont line up. The top teeth should over lap the bottomteeth slightly. If they dont line up dont worry you can trim them everytwo weeks or so, so that way they wont over grow.

The cage looks very nice. She is a very lucky bunny to have you. You can realy tell that she is happy! very cute bunny!

I agree with Pam, Dwarf.shes lucky you came alongpoor thing.I love that color.and i dont get any morecases ofbad teeth than any other breeds ,i have been raising dwarfs a very longtime.everyone should check the teeth on babies but dont panic if theydont line up right they can be cut.bluebird

Do rabbits on a normal basis need the teethclipped? Or is that only if they have problems. I try andcheck out their teeth on a reguler basis and so far so good.

Cristy

Thank you everyone for your responses and warm welcomes!

Carolyn wrote:
Unless you have eyes in the back of your head, I'd block off thearea behind the t.v. With these rabbits: When you least expect it,expect it. They're curious, fast, smart, and diligent as you'veprobably already found out by now. I thought that saying No was enough,but they're quiet and persistent and when I got distracted...then therewas trouble.

She's precious. :)

-Carolyn
I totally know what you mean Carolyn! Daisy is very highenergy and curious! As soon as I turn my head for one minute,she makes a dart for the behind the TV. She is a very sneakylittle bun. My husband is in the middle of bunnyproofing that area and covering the wires with hard plastic tubing.

showrabbitswrote:

I agree with the people that said she looks like a himimarked netherland dwarf. Next time you take her to the vet have the vetcheck the teeth. The breeds that commonly carry the round headsometimes will have teeth that dont line up. The top teeth should overlap the bottom teeth slightly. If they dont line up dont worry you cantrim them every two weeks or so, so that way they wont over grow.

We did have her teeth checked by the vet and she said they were inperfect condition and growing straight (lined upgreat). She explained to me that we can trim themis they start to grow wrong. She is going back tothe vet in about a month to be spayed so we will have her check themagain.

Again, thank you all for your advise and help. I'm glad Ifound a forum that shares the same love for bunnies that Ido.

Antonella

Good for you for rescuing this little bunny. She is adorable and clearly loves her Mommy.

I started with a rescue, he wsa 2 1/2 at the time. Now I have three....go figure.

mygrl2k3 wrote:
Dorabbits on a normal basis need the teeth clipped? Or is that only ifthey have problems. I try and check out their teeth on areguler basis and so far so good.

Cristy

Malocclusion is teeth that don't align properly, in rabbits,whether due to a genetic recessive gene or because of aninjury. The improper alignmentcauses abnormalgrowth which will need to be controlled by proper trimming of theteeth.

Normally, rabbits teethline up straight, top slightlyover bottom. They are natrually "gnawed" during the processof eating to control their growth - and will not need to betrimmed.

Rabbits teeth grow throughout it's life, so a once a monthcheck of the teeth (you can do this at home) is verysufficentto insure that your bunny has not "pulled" it'steeth out of alignment,chipped them, etc.by playingwith toys, or more commonly in younger rabbits, chewing on the cagewire and food dish. If you notice that this HAS occured thencloser monitoring will be needed to ensure the teeth maintain a healthysize and not over grow.

Here's some articles on Malocclusion, for those interested.....NOTE: **these links are informational reference articles and do containsome graphic photos of more serious cases**:

http://islandgems.net/malocclusion.html

http://petplace.netscape.com/Articles/artPrinterFriendly.asp?all=1&conID=14117

http://www.geocities.com/doubledutch84/rcmalocclusion.html

http://www.ping.be/~gilbert6/malocclusion.htm

Latest posts

Back