hi i am new here

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just_emma

Reaction score
newark on trent nottinghamshire, , United Kingdom
hi i am emma i am 23 years of age and i recently brought an old english rabbit (male) he is now about 12 weeks old, he is white with black bits on him and he is the most gorgouse rabbit i have ever seen, we brought him a friend which is a guinea pig and hes about the same age they get on really well.

I have always wanted a rabbit and guinea pig ever since i was little but my family wouldnt get me one so now i have decided the time is right to do so and now i have them i am very happy.

my rabbits name is benjamin and my guinea pigs name is bill (bill and ben lol), i have lots of fun playing with them but at the moment they are still very nervous of me and my partner, we hope they will get used to us very soon.

hope to hear some of your rabbit tales to find out what i can expect from mine as he grows into a wonderful buck.

all the best

emma

xx

Welcome Emma! :wave:

Benjamin sounds adorable! You have to show us pictures! :D

However, rabbits and guinea pigs should not live together, for a lot reasons. Piggers need high amounts of Vitamin C which is not available from Bunny pellets, but gp pellets do not contain all the nutrients a rabbit needs either.

A rabbit has very strong kick, if he is spooked by something that could be devastating on the guinea pig - people have lost guinea pigs this way. Of course rabbits don't mean any harm, it's just the way it is.

Rabbits are very social, they will groom the gp like they would another rabbit, but the piggy won't groom him back in return, and this is very frustrating for the rabbit. Your rabbit may also start humping your piggy, which can cause injury. Rabbit urine contains something which can cause infection in guinea pigs, it can be fatal.

Rabbits can live alone, however the best thing is to have him neutered, and find a spayed girl bunny as a companion for him. Your guinea pig should have the company of another guinea pig, they don't do well alone generally. Same sex pairs get on great.

I hope you don't find my post offensive, but I think you'd prefer to know the truth, before something bad happens. :hug:

~~~~~~
Michaela & bunnies Madison and Ebony

Hi Emma, welcome to the forum.

You certainly can get alot of info about rabbits on here.

Do you have any pictures of Benjamin? Everyone loves seeing pictures.

Looking forward to hearing more about your new babies.

Susan:apollo:

i micheala,

thanks for the advice, didnt realise that as we brought them both from the same pet shop, who said it was fine to put them together and they have about 2-3 rabbits and 5-6 guinea pigs in the same cages there.

I will look into getting another cage or something to block off half the cage that i do have as i have a large cage, obv. i will make sure whatever i use will not be harmful in any way 2 either of them.

also we are not using pellets for our animals we have a mix from the pet shop that they feed both guinea pigs and rabbits on all th time and we have a list from them on the greens etc to add for vit c and all other things they need.

i hope you dont think im being rude with this message im just telling you what i have been told.

I will add photos as soon as i get some done, i have only had them a week, so havent had time to take any yet as they are still getting used 2 us.

thanks for the welcome.

all the best

emma xxx

No I don't think you're being rude at all! :hug: Unfortunately pet shops are notorious for giving out the wrong information, but not your fault, you're in the right place now. :D

I'm afraid they've given you the wrong information about food too.:( No food is suitable for cavies and buns, no matter what it says on the packaging. Mixes are not a good idea either, they contain colourings and other things which are not good. Usually they will pick out the coloured bits and leave the better stuff.

Best thing for your rabbit is a plain pellet food - in the UK Supreme Science Selective is a good food, as is Supa Rabbit Excel, both should be available in any decent sized petshop. I'm not just as familiar with guinea pig foods but I think Supa Guinea Excel is one of the top ones here. :) Equally should be readily available. A bowl of pellets, a range of veggies, and unlimited hay is the best diet you can provide for your cuties. :D

Looking forward to the pictures! :bunnydance:

~~~~~~
Michaela & bunnies Madison and Ebony

Welcome Emma! Sounds like your boy is a sweetie! Can't wait to see phtoo's of him! Hope you enjoy hanging around here!!!!! :wave:

Welcome Emma...

Sounds like your two, Ben and Bill are just the cutest little furry friends to have.:biggrin2:

Do not be shy to share any information you have about them, we have lots of experienced members to learn from and a great section on Bunny 101 for first time bunny owners. You sound like a fantastic Bunny Mum. :)

Can't wait to see pics..

We want pics!!!!! lol ( no pressure or anything...hehe):pinkelepht:

hi e1,

i have a new edition to the clan we broughtanother rabbit today got told it was male and i think the pet shop was wrong as since i introduced the new rabbit which we are naming lucky (mini-lop x lionhead looks more lionhead than lop) to benjamin he has done nothing but mount it, i need to know would a male rabbit mount another male like this all the time or has the pet shop got it completely wrong please help as i dont want lots of baby bunnies everywhere.

many thanks emma

ps photos will be done of all three asap (benjamin, lucky and of course bill the guinea pig)

Bunnies will mount each other as a sign of dominance and is very common when they first meet. Its a good thing the two of them did not try to hurt each other ontheir first meeting as its is normal to follow a careful bonding procedure when introducing two rabbits.

If you cannot be sure of the gender of the bunny then really it could already be too late. If the newcomer is a girl then she may ovulate when she is coupled with Benjamin.

You need to find out what up with Lucky or expect the possibility of babies.
Just for FYI their gestation period is usually between 28 to 33 days and around day 31 for your breed.

Have a look under this to see if it helps:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12064&forum_id=17

How oldis Lucky, presumably pretty young if he/she is from the pet shop?

Yes, please seperate the bunnies immediately. Pet shops are notorious for sexing the bunnies wrong. And even if they are both intact males, they could very soon start fighting as they will both have a lot of hormones running through their system.

Please take your bunnies to a vet who can properly sex them, and can talk to you about getting them fixed as well.

Best of luck!

Looks like a pretty checkered giant you have there!! (just guessing if he's only 12 weeks and big!)

All of them are cute! love that light colored one with him!

i got told that benjamin was actually an old english, if he is a giant how big will he actually get?

dont know if the pet shop got his age wrong as his testicles have dropped already, and got told earlier on chat that they dont normally drop until 5 - 6 months really confused by all this i thought the pet shop was the best place to go for my rabbits and guinea pig but it looks like i was wrong.

any help would be greatly appreciated as i am new to all this, neither me or my partner have ever had rabbits or guinea pigs before (i have had loads of cats as a kid growing up there was always a cat there with me my parents made sure of that and then when i was about 13 my mum got a dog).

many thanks emma

Latest posts

Back