Hi From Victoria BC

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Jesse

Reaction score
Just joined and looking forward to reading everything.I have a 12 year old male (Sedgewick) and 3 young females (Cassie, Bandita and Dutchie).

I am one of the people in Victoria trying desperately to save the rabbits from the University of Victoria before they are all killed by the administration.

Just finished building my hutch for the three females and am working on a decent size pen so they can roam. Hutch at night and in bad weather.

Welcome!...

Thanks for that. The UVic bunny story is very sad. We have world wide publicity, tried to make sanctuaries, raised close to $90,000, have animal doctors and corporate sponsors on board but because these abandoned rabbits are deemed 'wildlife' by the provincial governments, we need permits to move them. Also permits for a sanctuary. We have one permit for a sanctuary which will take 30 rabbits. The other sanctuary which could take 400 is, well we don't know. If the permits do not come, and it seems the government isin bed withthe university, the rabbits will be killed. Which is what the university wants anyway.

At one point the university prided itself on its rabbits. Now, according to them, they are disease ridden vermin. Although in another breath they also say that rabbits will always have a presence on campus. They want 200 'token' buns and they MUST stay inside the Ring Road otherwise they will be killed too. BTW no fencing so you can imagine.

It is just a shame that nothing can be done despite our efforts.

Nancy and the others, thank you. Looking forward to getting as much info as I can from this site although I have had Sedgewick for almost 12 years I may know a few things.

In my last post I commented about a second sanctuary for 400 rabbits. I just found out that a permit has been issued so if the university decides to trap they should give the rabbits to us. Of course the university has a history of changing its mind.

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunny's recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

I have listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

An hour away! You must be familiar with the rabbit on campus story. The permit for 400 I wrote about above is not yet in our hands but another to remove and relocate 1000 bunnies is. They will be spayed and neutered and taken to Texas.

If anyone nearby can foster a few while they recover from their operations please let me know.

And any tips you may have on transporting rabbits great distances would be good too.

Thanks

Hello!

I see you post a lot on the FB uvic pages!
I have two Uvic buns here.. Sidney and Evie. When I picked up Sidney three weeks ago he was anemic, lethargic and not using one of his legs. He's made almost a full recovery! He gained a lot of weight and now I take him to cold laser therapy so he can gain control of his leg again. Unfortunately, his xrays showed a mass infection into his bone and his hock fused together. Since we started treatment, his abcess shrank half its size and he is almost ready to have it opened and drained out. And he was full of hookworms and roundworms!

Evie might be pregnant so I cannot deworm her. But Sidney and Evie get along great! They recognize each other =]

Hi

Please tell me Sidney is a tan/orange bunny with a bad right rear leg and was found near the University Centre. There is one there but I have not seen him as I have been concentrating my efforts on watching the bunnies near the residences.

I guess there are many more caring people removing those bunnies than I knew. My estimate on the count is around 800 remaining. I do believe some people are taking them and dumping them in parks, which in their minds might be the right thing to do, but we know its not.

We have to get them all out safely and even though we have permits one never knows with the University of Victoria.

Bill

P.S. Once they are all safe I will close my FB page.

Yes that is him! He had therapy session #3 this morning. Sidney now walks with both his back legs. He even jumps and hops around. The other day he actually stood up without any support! I am so proud of my little guy =]

I first saw him laying on the side of the road, so I held out a banana. I sat next to him while I fed him and scooped him up. Took him to my vet the next day and started treatment immediately. His vet bills already surpassed $400, but it would've been doubled if my vet wasn't such a nice guy!

Sidney's really making a will to recover, and I'm so happy that he doesn't need a leg amputation!

Are you serious? Really him! He is an adult and he usually hung around the grassy knoll by the University Centre near the driveway to the underground parking, not the Student Union Building. Thank you!

You folks really need to hook up!

Well that WAS the plan. Whitehouse Tx and when if ever is up in the air. We have been fighting to get the buns relocated off campus but as I wrote they need permits. (don't ask!) We had to get them off campus because the university has only one goal and that is to kill them.

We got a permit yesterday from the government but it is full of unreasonable clauses. I think the university worked with the government to make it difficult for us. It has been a very tough fight.

Despite having permits (still need one more) I feel the university will still try to kill them. The other permit is for here and it would allow 400 rabbits. Too easy for us so that is why it is being delayed IMO.

The court injunction is held over until this Friday when it will be decided. If we lose then the killing may start Friday night.

Sidney wasn't at the SUB.. but very close to it. It's walking distance from that area with a fountain and the library.

But he is an adult, tan/orange (I call him blonde!), with an injured right back leg. There aren't too many others with that same description =P

There are picture of him on the forums..
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=59381&forum_id=76

I'll be at the courthouse this Friday. I can show you pictures of Sidney and Evie. I'll definately love to help get these guys out of nasty Uvic.

Scroll all the way at the bottom.

Latest posts

Back