Hi everyone new here

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ange92040

Reaction score
Hi we use to have a bunny years ago and we currently have ferrets, dogs,cats and a parrot. My son and I really miss having a bunny around. We saw a dwarf lion head (thats what we were told it was) we have fallen in love. We will be going back this week to get him we just wanted to get the cage and supplies set up before we got him. We have the cage, water bottle, food dish, litter box what else do you think we need that we are forgetting? What food is best? We want to be prepared. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Angie
:D

Hi Angie and welcome to RO forums.

This is good food fo bunnies.http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16618

Be sure to give him him enough Timothy hay so he can keep his teeth and digestive track happy. Plenty of fresh water (Lionheads have more hair from what I've heard/seen, so keeping him cool is especially important, as for all bunnies though - they really need that water when it's hot).
I keep frozen soda bottles on hand for when the temperature goes up - they really appreciate it.
They love to chew, so anything that would help in that department is welcome - I've used the lava chew rocks that some pet stores sell for chewing...some of my buns really go to town, others ignore it. Certain woods are safe for them to chew.
Old telephone directories, used TP cardboard rolls, cardboard boxes are also good for digging (the girl bunnies can dig ALOT!).
There's also a section on NIC (Neat Idea Cubes) or 'Organize It' cubes that can be arranged as kind of an extension to your cage (well, some tend to morph into castles, but that's the effect bunnies have on some of us..).
Find a good, rabbit-savy vet in your area - you'll need to get him neutered at around 4mos (unless you're planning on breeding)..even so, it's always good to have that number BEFORE an emergency hits.

When he's settled in and in a routine, also see if you can aclimate him to clipping his nails - it's easier when they're young and not full-grown.

and most of ALL - you need to post pics of your bun when you can..:p

Thank you for the advice and info.

I use frozen bottles for our ferrets so they will be on hand.

I didn't know we could give old telephone books to them that is a great idea. I always try to figure out what to do with them when we get new ones.

I'll start keeping a stash of tp tubes and paper towel tubes for our bunny friend.

We also have a vet that knows about bunnies.

Thanks for the info.

Angie
:)

Welcome to the forum! I have two lionheads and they are wonderful rabbits, but with 15, I haven't met a rabbit that wasn't wonderful. I do like the fluffy manes of lionheads though.

Timothy, orchard grass hay are good for them, avoid any food with corn kernels in it as rabbits can't digest the corn. You can stuff the tp tubes with hay, it makes a great toy and they have fun chewing the cardboard to get to the hay. Hide treats, like banana chips, craisins in the tubes too.

There are many good litters out there, just avoid, cat litter and anything pine that has not been kiln dried. Kiln dried means all the harmful pine oils have been baked out of it. I personally use kiln dried wood pellets, super absorbent and you don't have to use that much.

Welcome back to the life of a bunny slave!;)

We haven't got our little guy yet. We've been sick around here, Hopefully we'll be able to go into town and get him. Fingers crossed!!!:biggrin2:

Again thanks for the info my son is writing down all the great suggestions.

Thanks again and keep them coming.

Looking forward to seeing some pics when you get him home, lionheads sure are cute! have you thought about names yet? that is not essential, but fun... I think if I had a lionhead I would use a lion name, like Simba :p

Something important to think about is that you will need a safe way to get your little fella home.

I was looking at a hutch recently, at a private home, and there were some other people buying a hutch and gorgeous little grey bunny from the people. the lady selling him was sending him home in a tissue box. it looked cute, sure, but surely it's not very safe. I was thinking later "that little bunny is most likely going to wee on the way home, and it's going to soak through that cardboard!". and as I already said it's not very safe, what if the car stops in a hurry etc.

I'm not saying that you would be this silly... but yeah, just sharing that story. transport is something to think about!

We have a cat carrier we'll take with us when we go to get him and we like about 15 min from town so it won't be so long and its been cool here so it should be fine. Thanks for reminding me to take the carrier when we go get him.

Hello and Welcome to RO

:)

Its nice to have another new member :)

Thanks for the welcome.

Ok we got our bunny yesterday it is so cute. Its going by Leo for now till we get to know him. He's a grey dwarf lionhead. I'll make sure to take photos soon. PROMISE.

Ok so he is going by the name Baxter. I've taken a few photos and post them soon.

ok My son has changed his name to mr. Dingle since he had some dingle berries when we got him, he is so cute what do you think?
finally here are some pictures...

IMGP0280.jpg

IMGP0289.jpg

IMGP0290.jpg

IMGP0288.jpg

IMGP0270.jpg

IMGP0245.jpg

IMGP0248.jpg

ya we think he's cute too. My son picked a good one.

not sure they told us 4mths

Thank you

I have a question we have a playpen for him, how long do you let your buns out for? He is usally out for about three to four/five hrs, is that ok? Sometimes he gets only an hour but not very often.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back