Hi and Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:bunnydance:Hi there its Dorothy here couldsomeone please help buttons was out for her free time and i put herback into her house she was fine had a sleep and then she has startedto pull out her fur im so worried any help would be great

How long have you had Buttons? Is there any chance that she could have been near a male bunny?

It may be a false pregnancy which happens sometimes to unspayedfemales, where they think they are pregnant and build a little nest,pull some fur but no babies.

--Dawn

:bunnydance:Hi there ive just come back from thevets with Buttons the poor wee soul is having a phantom pregnacy thevet says that i have to keep an eye on her over the next week and ifshe doesnt get better in a few days then i have to go back and theywill spey her early although they are quite kean to let her get to6months they said that its was better if she was slightly older butthey have assured me that they can do it ealier b ut would prefer towait but they will go by buttons and how she is doing ie still nestingetc many thanks for your help Dorothy

My little girl did this last week. Shes unspayedas of now (getting spayed next week). It only lasted 2-3 days. Shepulled a lot of fur though.

Poor Buttons! Im sure it will pass soon.

:bunnydance:Hi Haley thank you so much for youremail i was so worried but ny vet says that she will be ok and that sheis not hurting herself when she is pulling out her fur although itlooks sore. She is a wee soul my vet hopes that she will settle down ina few days as they are kean to wait till she is 6months although theyhave said that if buttons is no better in a few days i have to take herback and they will spey her early they say its not a problem to haveher spayed early but they just prefer to wait i will keep you updatedwe are off for the weekend so i will update you on Monday thanks againDorothy and Buttons

Hi,

Just wondering to all pregnant does pull out fur or can there be exceptions made!:?

Hope Buttons feels better soon!!!:)and isn't too upset when she realises there are no little bunnies coming!!!:)

Hi Dorthy,

Our little Chippyhas false pregnanciesevery so often.
She had 2 litters in the pet store before we got her....she was 5-6 months old we guessed.
She's about two years old now and not spayed.

Our vet advised us that spaying would be a good idea. But she also saidthat she may still pull fur and build nests out of instinct.

Brindle and S'more have both pulled fur and built nests.....and their both spayed.
S'more had at least one litter before we got her (we've got one of her babies).
We got Brindle when she was about 8-10 weeks, and she was spayed at around 5-6 months (I think).

Pulling fur normally doesn't cause them any harm, but sometimes they may get a little obsessive about it.
I try to check for any injury they may have inflicted upon themselves,but they seem to get a bit aggressive when they're nesting......gofigure.

Some things we've been told to watch for:
Stress
Eating, drinking, pooping, peeing
If they actually start lactating..... can be a problem with no kits to nurse.

~Jim

cottontails wrote:
Hi,

Just wondering to all pregnant does pull out fur or can there be exceptions made!:?

Hope Buttons feels better soon!!!:)and isn't too upset when she realises there are no little bunnies coming!!!:)

there are always exceptions. . .

some does pulls days, weeks, before the litter is due. other won't pulltill right before the babies are born, some wait till after the babiesare born and some does have complications and don't pull fur at all. ..normally in that case a breeder would hold her and pull a little out(it really doesn't hurt them. . .) and that will normally kick in themotherly feelings and get the doe to finish the job.

when we bred, we always kept a bag of loose fur around from our does. ..that way if we needed to add more fur to a nest we just add a dab ofvanilla to the does nose (that way she can't tell the fur isn't hers)and add more to the nest.

Latest posts

Back