Hi and advice needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikerabbits

Reaction score
Hi fellow bunbun lovers! I'm from NZ and proud parent of 5 rabbits (and care for my sister's one so really 6) . Milo is a butterscotch neutered 3 y/o Male Rex x Flemish who we rescued as a terribly skinny baby from the pet shop. Mopsy (Milo's companion) is a grey spayed 5 y/o Female Minilop who was one of my first rabbits. Lucy is a Agouti spayed 5 y/o Pure Flemish who we rescued from a Petting Zoo that was going to turn her into a pie. Waffles (Lucy's companion and technically my sisters rabbit) is a neutered grey and white 6 month old Rex Flemish who we got from a pet store as he had his brothers sold but he had been there forever, and probably rather lonely. Snowflake is a spayed white 5 y/o Minilop who was Mopsys sister but they were separated as they had a few disagreements .
Last but not least as Flopsy, who I need help with. She's a grey 5 y/o Minilop , needs fixing when well enough and also a sibling to Snowflake and Mopsy , currently in with Snowflake. She had a bad seizure and neurogical problems that she has overcome but is left with a few mobility issues on one of her front legs. She has also had a very very bad infection that was in one leg but spread to all her legs, she's had surgery twice for this. She's on a injectable antibiotic every three days, has to be washed every day as she gets stinky from mobility issues, topical iodine on her legs to help the infection and powered Echinacea by syringe every three days for immune support. She goes back to the vet monthly or sooner for check ups according to how she's doing.
She's about 2.2 kgs at the moment and over a fortnight had lost 100 grams, originally she was around 3 kg so her weight is worrying. She looks and feels very bony. We're giving her as much grass , hay and pellets as she can eat . Also gets oats every other day. We've also been cooking up human grade sweet corn for her (no husk just kernels) which she loves it seems to help her. Does anyone have any other suggestions for weight gain?

Black oil sunflower seeds. They're higher in fat than regular sunflower seeds. I used them for an old bun that couldn't maintain her weight very well anymore. She loved them! As did her slightly chubby bunny companion, who would always beg for some too... and who definitely didn't need to be gaining anymore weight :p

I would be concerned about why the sudden weight loss is occurring as well. High calorie foods may only be minimally beneficial if the cause of the weight loss isn't discovered and turned around.

Sorry for your bun. It sounds like she's had it pretty rough. I hope you and your vet can get this figured out.

Black oil sunflower seeds. They're higher in fat than regular sunflower seeds. I used them for an old bun that couldn't maintain her weight very well anymore. She loved them! As did her slightly chubby bunny companion, who would always beg for some too... and who definitely didn't need to be gaining anymore weight :p

I would be concerned about why the sudden weight loss is occurring as well. High calorie foods may only be minimally beneficial if the cause of the weight loss isn't discovered and turned around.

Sorry for your bun. It sounds like she's had it pretty rough. I hope you and your vet can get this figured out.
[/QUOTE/]

Thankyou! I will definitely use the sunflower seeds!

It's been a cold snap here recently, I wonder if that might have been the cause.

That was her weight at the vets, the vet didn't seem very interested in finding the cause, she is a very good vet.
Yeah, poor girl. She's a little fighter though, the vet thought we'd probably have to put her down because of the infection but she's beating it at the moment. Even when she really was on her last legs (she's improved now) she still had spunk to voice her disapproval of being given meds. She would take anything , pick it up and throw it 😄

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny how they'll be feeling horrible, but yet be irritated enough to fight taking their meds... and make sure to let you know how ticked they are after you've made them take it. I'll usually get a double thump, plus some foot flicks and disapproving stares.

Latest posts

Back