HEY GUYS!!! Couple of questions and concerns :]

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBYnPANCAKES

Reaction score
Ok so I'm in love with this rabbit forum stuff very very cool!!

Anyways I am having bad problems potty training my rabbits. (I have two rabbits a 3 year old and a 3 month old.) The three year old (toby) seems to not do too bad an occasional miss here and there but he usually always makes it to go pee in his litter box. On the other hand the three month old (pancakes) seems to poop every time he moves an inch and it's never in the litter box causing a huge mess in their cage. Any tips besides moving there droppings to the litter box (which I already do).

Also toby has dropped some weight and seems to be having loose stool (not watery diarrhea but long wet smelly soft stool). He was neutered three months ago so I don't know if this is a because of that and I'm just now drastically noticing it or is it because of the new baby bunny? I've tried everything to changing his diet trying to harden up his poops and stuff like that. I made a vet appointment for this friday but if I don't need to go and there is a home remedy I can use to save $55 I would lover to hear it! Or just to know what it might be. Could he be severely sick? I'm really worried about him.

And last but not least I am looking for a solid gray french lop bunny breeder in Arizona if anybody knows of one I would sure appreciate the info!! THANKS GUYS!!!

With the bun not doing so well litter training. I would keep moving the poop to the litter box. If there is a spot he usually poops, I would block it off or put something there so he can't poop. I also use big litter boxes (cat litter boxes) and put hay in there. That has seemed to help me a lot in litter training.

If any of my buns have loose stool, I push hay and cut back on veggies and pellets.

Are they fixed?
My bun was really bad for leaving poops everywhere, if he was digging, he'd poop - I mean in 15 minutes of digging in a blanket, I'd get a handful of poops. After I got him fixed, he seems to be so much better, now I find a stray one here and there in his cage and outside his cage is better but that blanket seems to make him want to poop on it every time!

Regarding the soft SMELLY poop: smelly poop isn't normal. If there's an occasional poop that's mushy it could be uneaten cecals. But if all poop is like that its cause for concern. Babies and young buns tend to display this if they have a parasite called coccidia. Bring 5 or 6 of the buns poop with you for the vet to see if the bun has coccidia. It's treatable but can be complicated in babies if untreated. If the two buns play together it's possible he older bun may have gotten it but not displaying symptoms so check him too if the little one is positive. Lots of buns live with coccidia but their strong adult immune system surpresses it from doing harm, which is why it's often seen in young buns.

Make sure you take the buns to a vet who KNOWS how to treat rabbits. Dog and cat vets often do NOT know how to treat them or don't know what to look for. Misdiagnoses and wrong medication can be very dangerous!

My older bun in neutered baby bun is not. I do move there poop to the litter box. And I already do put hay in there as well. Older bun is fine with litter box baby bun I guess won't get it till he is neutered so I hear. :] Hopefully that will be soon. Just took Toby to the vet this morning! $105 later he has two medications for a bacteria infection. I think he got this from the spay and neuter clinic I took him to cause that is when it all started. Very upset about that. Looking into other neutering places. Just cant afford to spend $200 to neuter a rabbit. Seems super ridiculous. But like they say I guess you get what you pay for. And I want nothing but the best for my buns. Learn from your mistakes....just sucks Toby has to suffer from this one. Although he isn't in pain or anything he just has loose poops. No pain :] But still....:[ :[ :[

Every vet clinic has a responsibility to keep the different areas of their premises clean enough, regardless of whether they charge low or expensive fees for their services.

It is NOT your fault your rabbit caught an infection and I hope he feels better soon and your worry eases.

Jo xx

Latest posts

Back