He's Dying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrots

Reaction score
My old Dutch rabbit Patch, has got skinnier andskinnier even though he always eats all his food up. Now because hesold i think it maybe because his body is slowing down, just like an oldhuman,can this be right? I definatly dont think hewill see 2006. He's such a great rabbit, he only has one eye due to onebeen take out because the frost in winter damaged the nerves. Hes afighter but now i think he giving up. Is there anything i can do? or isit just a case nurturing him untill the end? :(

Love Catherine (carrots)

It sounds like he's lived a good longlife. Just keep him comfortable at this point. Keepsome Nutri-Cal handy in case he stops eating, but mostly give him lotsof extra love and cuddles and TLC. I really believe they letus know when they are ready to go to the bridge, so you'll know.

Jen

I would make sure his health is good and that he's on a proper diet for an aging bunnie.

IMO...I would plan a vet visit for a good through checkup so you can establish some kind of baseline on his health.

Older bunnies can sometimes have difficulty keeping weight on. Anadjustment to his diet might help him. Switching him over to alfafahay, for example, could make a difference.

~Jim

Hi ,

HowSad! Ihope you're wrong. Cirrustwisays everything Iwould've. Love him and spend as much time as you can withhim.

-Carolyn

You bet I'll be praying! Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Sorry to hear your buns is not well!

Also get the vet to check your buns teeth.

One of mine, was getting thinner and thinner and it turned out to be her teeth.

Is your vet a small animal vet also ???? This helps loads, cause they know more from my experiences

P.S Good Luck and please keep us posted on what your vet said.

Thank you all yet again.
Isyour vet a small animal vet also ???? This helps loads, cause they knowmore from my experiences
Yes Zee she is, i've checked the teeth myself and they are fine. I havea diploma in small animal care so i no the basics just nothing aboutthe weight loss. Thank You for you comments.

Nutri Cal is the perfect high calorie supplementfor those old timers that are unable to efficiently metabolize theirfood and are loosing weight.

Pam

I hope he is ok and can gain the weight back. Poor little guy!! Let us know what the vet says.

Cristy

Hi all just come back from the vet. He said itsprobable that he wont last till next year:sad:....... but hehas give me some vitamin supplement with some sort of weight managmentstuff in it, its meant to help the rabbit get to the correct weight andonce reached the correct weight stay there. So i guess alot of TLC.Everyone who posted thank you for your kind words and advice:)

I'm sorry to hear that carrots, and who knows,maybe he can be a miracle bunny and fool even the vet. In themeantime, give him lots of bunny kisses and cuddles and make sure heknows he is loved (which I'm sure he does). Losing a pet,especially a cute bunny, is always hard... but hopefully you can takecomfort in the fact that you gave him the best life he could'vehad. Never underestimate the power of prayer. Iwill be praying that he makes it to 2006 for you!

:pray:

~ Jamie

Glad you got him to the vet...I hope this helpsand he suprises everyone and lives much longer than everyone thinks!!!Good luck and plz keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back