Hershey's Shedding...ALOT!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyHersheyBun

Reaction score
Hershey is shedding alot and I am not sure why because I thought this was a seasonal thing. It seems like the colder it gets the more he sheds and I thought like most animals this would be the other way around and he would get more fur. Does it really make this much of a difference for a bun thats always inside rather than being outside? I just don't know if the amount he is shedding daily is normal?? And I want to make sure that he is healthy. He is shedding way more than an indoor cat lol, so if anyone can help me on this subject matter it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mine all had a big shed at the end of the summer...which seems to me not to make any sense at all as you would think it would be in spring.
If your bun seems really healthy otherwise with a good appetite ,activity level and urine and poop output I would not worry about it.
just brush a lot so he doesn't ingest it all :)

On your question as to whether they're indoors or out? Nope, it doesn't matter. Indoor buns will moult/shed just as bad, if not worse than an outdoor bun. Not sure why, but they need to adjust to temp changes, so I know that is a factor.:?;)

But, yes, diet is a key factor in the extent of how bad theshedding/moulting amounts could be.

Thank you for all your help!:) About the diet, does that mean if he is shedding alot that he is not getting all the nutrition that he needs? He seems very healthy with a great appetite and activity level. He does eat alot of pellets to me, but this is also my first bun and he is only 7 mths. I just want to make sure he's happy:D

Toby gets that nasty shed, too. He's in the middle of it right now. I've used the shed-ender on him TWICE in the last month and wound up with several hair-balls three-times the size of him! He's STILL shedding! The only way I've found to manage it was to constantly brush him. I also grab off his "cactus patches" of fur when he's not paying attention. It's unpleasant, but effective.

MyHersheyBun wrote:
Thank you for all your help!:) About the diet, does that mean if he is shedding alot that he is not getting all the nutrition that he needs? He seems very healthy with a great appetite and activity level. He does eat alot of pellets to me, but this is also my first bun and he is only 7 mths. I just want to make sure he's happy:D

Read what I posted above. This is a change for a bun and any change whether they be indoors or out, but any change in diet and temp will make for them to either start shedding or molt.

Yes, if a bun has had very poor nutrition they can go through very bad moults because of it, yes.:)

Also, when shedding/moulting alot, best thing is to give them hay. Push the hay. I know how they are with the pellets, they beg for them, I know!:p Just try and feed fewer pellets and more hay in this case of shedding or moulting.:)

OMG Dumbo and Latte are shedding SOOOOO MUCH!!!... grrr I want to shave their fur off lol... I have to vacuum my apartment twice a day and i still find my stuff all covered in fur.. I know there is nothing I can do to stop the shedding..(we're entering summer in australia..) but there is just fur EVERYWHERE!!! im thinkin of keeping all my black clothes in ziplock bags lol..

I agree with that! I have to vacuum twice a week for ONE small bun! Of course, I have a dark green rug in the room he's in :p Silly me...

:vacuum:

I just solved my bunnies shedding problem...we gave them a shower! and combed their fur while it was wet...i hope i'm not going to get flamed for animal cruelty or anything but me and my gf used rabbit shampoo and gave them a bath... i have to say we got rid of at least 75% of the fur that was coming off...i'll prob repeat the bath in a week or so if needed..but it works great

Whilst a rabbit can tolerate a bath, it is also not advisable because they can react badly to the cold, water, or other things. It should only be done as a last resort, and only in luke warm water, and they need to be kept warm until completely dry.

My girls shed at least four times yearly. It took me a while to figure that out.

I'm used to my cat shedding (noticeably) twice yearly:summer and winter. Bunnies seem to be much more tricky and can drop horrendous amounts of fur. (Better that it go into thetrash than into their bodies, though!)

My sweet Emma's first (hopefully only) hospitalization resulted fromher shedding for God-knows-how-long before I'd noticed. Her system doesn't handle excess fur as easily as other rabbit breeds;I must remain extra vigilent, brushingher daily, watchingher poop like a hawk, and adjusting her diet (as needed).

Jenk

kherrmann3 wrote:
I also grab off his "cactus patches" of fur when he's not paying attention. It's unpleasant, but effective.
LOL! My hubby and I do that with our girls' fur, too. Being Mini-Rexes, their loose fur never falls out on its own;it just pokes out a bit, begging to be removed manually. So we gently "pluck" our girls, pet them with dampened hands and brush them with two tools (i.e., the Zoom-Groom and the Furminator).

Flashy wrote:
Whilst a rabbit can tolerate a bath, it is also not advisable because they can react badly to the cold, water, or other things. It should only be done as a last resort, and only in luke warm water, and they need to be kept warm until completely dry.

O we bathe them in warm water and make sure they are nice and dry before letting run around the apartment... =D

That noteaimed atyou :), it was for anyone who saw what you said and wanted to do it, but didn't know how to do it properly or as safely as possible, that's all.

Latest posts

Back