her leg is red and fur of her leg is gone

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roytaa

Reaction score
hello
i noticed this yesterday but idk if its normal or its because of something
should or go to vet or you guys ever saw this problem?
i attached a photo
i must add she is free in room and the room is full carpet

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-02-19 at 20.15.43.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-19 at 20.15.43.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1
Do you mean the bald spot on the heel? Can you tell if it's just calloused skin, is it red an inflamed, and is there a sore or scab? Check the right hind leg especially, as that one looks like there may be a scab.

only thing i see is red spot , like scar and she have on both of heels also the fur is gone , i guess its better shown to vet right?

It's called 'sore hocks' or pododermatitis. It's likely the carpet is a contributing factor. Some types of carpet can be very abrasive. To help prevent sore hocks from worsening, the flooring surface needs to be changed, or some rabbit owners have found using baby socks or specially made socks can help prevent it.

Medirabbit: sore hocks

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Socks_rabbit.pdf
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Sore_hocks
http://www.disabledrabbits.com/sore-hocks.html
If there is a scab or open sore and it could possibly be infected, yeah, it does need to be looked at. Just make sure any antibiotic prescribed is considered safe for rabbits.

Medirabbit: safe antibiotics

It's called 'sore hocks' or pododermatitis. It's likely the carpet is a contributing factor. Some types of carpet can be very abrasive. To help prevent sore hocks from worsening, the flooring surface needs to be changed, or some rabbit owners have found using baby socks or specially made socks can help prevent it.

If there is a scab or open sore and it could possibly be infected, yeah, it does need to be looked at. Just make sure any antibiotic prescribed is considered safe for rabbits.

thank you you help alot of rabbits around the world by helping their owners to understand problems
i will visit vet today and if needed change the whole carpet

day after my post i visited the vet(they are not expert rabbit and i guess there is none in our city)
he saw the her leg and gave me some cream for bacteria

but today i noticed between her leg is skin and no fur
its almost large spot if i open her leg but i did not wanted to
i attached the photo
i visited vet again and he used some blue light on it and said its NOT (Mycosis) and must be bacteria or she is weak
so i came here to ask for your experience advise about it too @JBun @Blue eyes
any way im going to change my carpet maybe its dirty but it will take some time because i must clear room from stuff first

also gave me spray i add google translate for what its does
Healing wounds caused by viruses, parasites and bacteria Treatment of fungal infections of the skin, hair and ears Treatment of burn wounds scar healer

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-02-25 at 23.46.08.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-25 at 23.46.08.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
also maybe i must add her fur drop rate is much more in past month

What ingredients are in the cream and spray, particularly any antibacterial ingredients? You just want to be sure it's safe for rabbits, as your rabbit will groom off anything applied to the skin and ingest it. Plus any cream or liquid applied to a sore hock, can sometimes just cause more irritation to occur.

It's best not to apply anything to the heel unless there is an open sore that needs an antibacterial applied. And if that is done, the proper bandaging needs to also be applied to protect the open sore/scab and help keep the antibacterial on the sore to help it heal. It's also very important that any bandaging or sock be applied properly. Because if any bandaging is too tight, it can cut off blood circulation to the foot and that could result in very serious injury to the foot.

If there is no sign of a scab or open sore, and no sign of infection, it's usually best not to apply any creams or ointment, but to instead change the rabbits flooring surfaces to help reduce the irritation to the heel. That's what I would try first.

With the fur being rubbed off on the heel and it possibly happening from the carpet, this isn't from carpet being dirty necessarily, but because some carpet has a rough surface texture that causes too much friction and the fur to rub off. Also wet carpet could cause more irritation, and synthetic fiber carpets.

Before deciding whether or not to change carpets, you could try covering the carpet in the main areas your rabbit runs around. Some people have used cotton sheets or cotton duvets with successful results. Also washable dog whelping pads would be a good soft surface.

If you do decide to change carpet, it's usually best to use ones that have a softer surface area and that are made from natural fibers like cotton and wool. But even changing carpet isn't a guarantee to solve the problem. Some rabbits will still need more to be done, like using padded cotton floor coverings or cotton socks on the rabbit.

With the fur loss in other places, it would be normal for her to shed fur this time of year due to it being spring. I'm not sure about the missing fur on the inside of the leg. I can't really tell much from the photo. If there isn't urine soaked fur, and if the skin isn't dandruffy, or have crusty lesions or signs of being sore, but is just normal pink skin, then it's probably nothing to worry about. Unless the area of fur loss increases and there are no signs the fur is starting to grow back in. Then there may be something more going on there.

What ingredients are in the cream and spray, particularly any antibacterial ingredients? You just want to be sure it's safe for rabbits, as your rabbit will groom off anything applied to the skin and ingest it. Plus any cream or liquid applied to a sore hock, can sometimes just cause more irritation to occur.

It's best not to apply anything to the heel unless there is an open sore that needs an antibacterial applied. And if that is done, the proper bandaging needs to also be applied to protect the open sore/scab and help keep the antibacterial on the sore to help it heal. It's also very important that any bandaging or sock be applied properly. Because if any bandaging is too tight, it can cut off blood circulation to the foot and that could result in very serious injury to the foot.

If there is no sign of a scab or open sore, and no sign of infection, it's usually best not to apply any creams or ointment, but to instead change the rabbits flooring surfaces to help reduce the irritation to the heel. That's what I would try first.

With the fur being rubbed off on the heel and it possibly happening from the carpet, this isn't from carpet being dirty necessarily, but because some carpet has a rough surface texture that causes too much friction and the fur to rub off. Also wet carpet could cause more irritation, and synthetic fiber carpets.

Before deciding whether or not to change carpets, you could try covering the carpet in the main areas your rabbit runs around. Some people have used cotton sheets or cotton duvets with successful results. Also washable dog whelping pads would be a good soft surface.

If you do decide to change carpet, it's usually best to use ones that have a softer surface area and that are made from natural fibers like cotton and wool. But even changing carpet isn't a guarantee to solve the problem. Some rabbits will still need more to be done, like using padded cotton floor coverings or cotton socks on the rabbit.

With the fur loss in other places, it would be normal for her to shed fur this time of year due to it being spring. I'm not sure about the missing fur on the inside of the leg. I can't really tell much from the photo. If there isn't urine soaked fur, and if the skin isn't dandruffy, or have crusty lesions or signs of being sore, but is just normal pink skin, then it's probably nothing to worry about. Unless the area of fur loss increases and there are no signs the fur is starting to grow back in. Then there may be something more going on there.
ingredients are chlorhexidineDi-gluconate -- boric acid - carbopol - deionizedwater --pH modifier
also i put her E colar on her head for 1hour after using spray
and attached more photo for her naked skin between the legs
and thanks again for your help i will get wool carpet or softest i can get
also im using human medical pad for sometime where she sit or where she using to piss because its soft and easy to change but well she relaxing everywhere in room so must change the carpet

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    630 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    640.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
new carpet for my rabbit… ❤️i hope she get well soon

also today im very sad because last iranian cheetah(Asiatic cheetah also) died in 10th month of his birthday 😭

Last edited:
@JBun hello again
i changed the carpet and where she used to relax to very soft carpet
& used the med doctor gave me very carefully and pet her for long time during it so she wont start eating it and then clean the med from her body as much is i can (it took almost 3hr per day)
and now her leg no more red and i see only a little fur start growing back and her heel is no longer have open sore

but between the legs have no fur as i attached a new photo in post before
its pink and soft and look normal but i dont see any sign of fur growing back at all its only bald skin from the tail to middle of her body(belly)
do you think how much time its need to start grow back?

another thing is i can see her leg fingers now it was covered in fur before and its not touching ground (i mean its not for carpet or floor problem)
so do you thing only option i have is to find experienced rabbit vet now?

Back