Help?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallcemommy

Reaction score
I'm gonna do introductions in the right place but I need help.

1. How much fruit/veggies a day?
2. How many times a week?
3. How much pellets?
I have no clue on age or weight

What is the best cage cleaner?
How long do I give a rabbit to used to the environment before I try to handle?

It depends on what you want , I do not feed veggies, i do not believe it is necessary and it has caused me to lose a rabbit or two in the past, never again for me. If you want to feed veggies thats your choice

1. How much fruit/veggies a day? 1 cup per 2 pounds throughout the day. ( If your rabbit is 6 pounds it gets 3 cups)
2. How many times a week? If your making it part of the main diet, everyday. if not than you only have to give a little bit as a treat (Mine get it once every 2-3 months, they will get herbs next year in the summer though, mine also go out daily for exercise and they nibble on clover, dandelion leaves, and grass but it doesn't add up to a cup, and sometimes they dont even eat it.)
3. How much pellets? 1 ounce per pound of rabbit ( my 4 pounds holland lops get 1/2 cup) If you are feeding veggies as part of the day-to-day diet than you need to decrease the amount of pellets.

NEVER feed veggies to a rabbit under 6 months of age it can cause problems with their digestive tract and give them bloat.

I feed my herd 1/2 cup of top quality pellets, unlimited amount of hay, fresh water with added minerals and a tablespoon of apple cider vinergar (Per gallon of water) They get treats like cheerios or mint condition(my rabbits love mint)

With veggies you want to start out giving a very small amount and slowly increasing the amount while keeping an eye out for any issues such as gas, soft or runny poo. Start with one veggie at a time this way if there is a problem you should know which veggies caused it and can stop feeding that veggie. Once the bun has had a veggie for a week or two with no issues than you can add another.

Herbs are good to start out with such as parsley or cilantro, romaine lettuce.

Unlimited grass hay.

Most buns will drink more water when offered a bowl. Although you can use a bottle. If you choose to use a bowl either get one that can attach to the side of the cage or a heavy one to prevent it being tipped over.

Fruit should be very limited as it has sugar which is not good for buns. I don't give fruit but others do. It should be given only as a treat.

I use a vinegar/water mix for cleaning my cages. Are you litter training? I took in two buns that would otherwise have been released to the outside. They were not litter trained but didn't take too long to figure it out. Cleaning with the vinegar helps to break down the urine so there is no remaining smell which helped in the litter training.

How soon to handle depends on the bun. Some buns are quicker to settle into and feel safe in a new environment than others. My bun Thumper I brought home at 10 weeks old and he settled in almost immediately. He has a very calm and laid back personality. With the two buns I took in about 2 months ago I was excited today that for the first time one of them sat as I gave it nose rubs. They have more skittish personalities but they also did not have very much human interaction before coming to my home.

I forgot to mention posting a pic if you can. Someone may at least be able to give you an idea of whether or not Miracle is very young or not. Also might be able to tell you the breed.

Latest posts

Back