HELP.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tashiahouse

Reaction score
I was outside messing around with the rabbits, and I was just standing there watching the oldest litter of babies..they were all sleeping...all of a sudden one of the babies just kind of flops over with her head all crooked..layed there for a second..I thought she was dead..=/...so we picked her up and sat her down in the grass..she perked right up and started eating and running..what happened?

was she twitching? because twitching like that could mean a seizure. I don't know much about kits having seizures but thought I might give you something to think about until someone with more experience comes along

Not really..that was my first instinct as well, but I thought if it were a seizure she would have twitched as well. She just kind of flopped over and got real stiff..and her head stayed to the side until we picked her up and petted her for a second..then it straightened back out and she acted like nothing had ever happened. I thought about bringing her in for the night and still will if I need to, but I thought I'd get other opinions about it before I do. She's not terribly young so she'd be fine inside for the night..she's around 5 weeks old.

That sounds a lot like a seizure to me. Is she getting adequate nutrition? Any seizure, REW, or blue-eyes in the genetic background?

There are different types of seizures, and different phases of seizures. Not all seizures will have rapid muscle twitching. A tonic seizure simply has a large number of muscles contracted for a long period of time.

Usually when they seize that young it is not a good sign, because it is usually a congenital problem. If she's getting enough nutrients and water, and wasn't exposed to any toxins, it's probably a brain defect.

Awww, god love it. =[

So, should I bring her in and keep an eye on her or just let nature run it's course and let her stay with her litter mates?

She's eating fine..pellets, hay, water..and the occasional bite of grass while hopping around the yard..and she's had a carrot..yesterday.

Claire - the rabbit is Sport marked. I personally do not know if it is BEW or just mismark. I do not think tashia knows either.

That is what I told her about the seizures, too. My dad has them and they come in diffrent strengths.

I told her I would take her in as a pet and bond her with someone if she wishes. I took a doe with Epilepsy? who was malnurished. She only made it 2 weeks after I got her(died of multiple seizures), but it was the best two weeks she had had in her short 2 months life.

Ive got her inside all set up shes sitting around eating hay its kinda warm in here does anyone have any idea how to keep her cool? Ive got a frozen waterbottle with her with a sock over it. Do I need to do anything else?

Yeah, the water bottle sounds good. Is Sport a Vienna-related marking? Is she still feeding off her mom? I would keep her inside if she's weaned, and see how she does. It's possible that it won't happen again, and you can find her a pet home. I wouldn't recommend breeding her. She may be prone to seizures for the rest of her life too, and still live up to a few years. A member here had a blue-eyed white lionhead named Dewey who was prone to seizures but he was a well loved pet until he died at about age 2, I think.

Sport is an old term for mismarked rabbits. I still use it since it was what my mentor refered to mismarks as. I call it Sport because as far as I know Tashia is not sure if it is from the Vienna gene or just a mismark. Do you know Tashia?

Here's a picture of her. She's loving life right now..biting my ears...>=|

I just took the picture..you can see how happy she is..no more seizures as of yet.

Either way, no breeding for her! I'm thinking in a few weeks when she's ready to leave momma for good (if she's still doing okay), she'll be given to Sam to bond with her rabbits..because I can't keep her inside due to my dogs, and I don't wanna stick her outside.

dd048j.jpg

Oh, she is adorable. I will be hoping for the best for her, and it sounds like you have a good plan for her.

Yeah, I pegged her from the pictures. I wanted to watch her as she matured to see if I wanted her for breeding when we meet up. So now, insted, she will come and hopefully move in with Sway and Dillan. Both of them are very accepting towards other rabbits, just a few months ago they were living happily with three other rabbits, so I am sure it will work out :)

I've had a rabbit who had seizures. It was actually a result of some damage from an awful bout with stasis. I never thought he would make it through. I actually had to take him on a weekend trip to get him through the stasis. When he made it through, he was basically blind and still had occasional seizures. He really lived a great life. He was my constant companion. He frequented the preschool where I teach and even went on more then one vacation. He lived another 4 years before dying at the age of 9.

Best of luck with your bunny!

Latest posts

Back