Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul2641

Reaction score
I am just wondering what is the best way to treat a tare in the skin between the legs of a rabbit.

What I'm doing at the moment is
Getting a cotten bud with warm water to clean off the blood then I applied some salvon, Is there anything else I can do? My mother said I don't need to bring it to the vet?

Hopefully someone will respond quickly... A little more information would be helpful:
- how did the tear occur? Is this bunny teeth, wire fence, claws... what?
- How deep?
- pictures?
- is it a hole in the flesh? a line in the flesh? How wide?

** Salve should not contain any antibiotics. Please give us the brand name.

How long is the tear? "Degloving" is common in skin tears with rabbits. That's where the upper skin layer pulls away from the body, similar to how a glove is pulled off a hand. It's really easy for bacteria to get into that open space between the upper skin and the muscle layer and start an infection.

Depending on the size, I'd at least want a skin tear fixed with surgical glue (by a vet) if not stitched shut. My one personal experience with this was a massive 4 inch gash that needed a bunch of stitches.

Antibiotics are also sometimes given as a preventative, especially if the wound is caused by another animal.Even rabbitscarry a lot of bacteria in their mouths and claws that can easily cause infection in an open wound.

The tear is about a centimetre and a half long and a half centimetre wide. It looks clean At the moment. And I plan on cleaning it every day twice till it is fixed up. Would this need vet treatment?:nerves1

Any ideas? Is the bun living alone? Been out anywhere? Been near anything sharp? Been near any other animals? The more you can tell us, the more help your rabbit can get.

I'd call a vet and ask their opinion. Since it sounds like more than just a simple, straight cut, it might need professional attention.

Is the skin pulling away from the body at all? If it is, it really should be treated by a vet.

What kind of steel brush were you using? I use metal combs and soft slicker brushes with plastic heads on the end. Sometimes other metal brushes are too rough to use on a rabbit. I doubt it, but it's possible the brushing did this. Also, feel around the cage and play area with your hand. Can you find any sharp edges?

I agree with Naturestee, I would feel around in the cage for any sharp objects.

It doesn't matter what type of animal a brush is deisgned for (because really, they dont make brushes just for bunnies...at least not that I've seen ;)). Bunnies have delicate skin, and if you brush too hard it can cause irritations, or cuts ;)

Emily

Can you show a picture? I use cat slicker brushes and dog combs (and the Furminator), it all depends on the exact type. Dogs and cats do have thicker skin than rabbits so you have to be careful with what you buy and how you use it.

Ok I have been kinda lieing I went to the worst chain pet shop of all of Ireland petmania and I say this little angora what I was told also looks like one(full of matts, Took two hours to sort the little girly out) in with a much older dominant male. He had done this nip to the poor little crater He was trying to mount her and all, She is only 6 weeks old severly under weight her legs are like twigs. I also complained to the maneger. The cut is so small very little blood is coming from it And I'm keeping it clean. I plan on bring her to the vet on Monday if there are NO improvements, Does this sound ok my plan that is, Oh and don't worry I got a seperate cage for the little girlie to live in. I was kinda annoyed with myself for taking her though because I was just getting on track and now I'm gong to have another spay on my hands. More mouths to feed. And a possible vet bill. I can only afford €40 to spend on this vet trip if she needs to go, Because I need around €90 for Suki's spay witch I have put away for. After all this is dealt with all my emergency bunny money will be gone. Please don't be cross with me for lieing and getting another bunny, The only reason I told you About this new bunny was because I saw Sabine's new bunny Osker(a.k.a frankie). I get frightened some times that I'm going to get pounced on because I got a new bunny. But I am defo still not breeding and getting all my bunnies altered. I need a name for her. I want something Japenese. I'm dreading the vet bill, If she has to go. I will get pictures of her and try get the wound soon, Can't promiss anything with my sister. I just don't want to be jumped on.

naturestee wrote:
Depending on the size, I'd at least want a skin tear fixed with surgical glue (by a vet) if not stitched shut. My one personal experience with this was a massive 4 inch gash that needed a bunch of stitches.

The glue is a very good idea if immediate vet care is not available. The stuff works like a charm (Someone gave me some to use at a show when I suffered a nasty bite wound.)

In this case, it sounds like gluing at home "might" be an option, but it's hard to say, especially without a photo.

I have seen some nasty tear wounds heal with just the application of ointment. Since this wound is so small, the ointment "might" also be sufficient.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
naturestee wrote:

The glue is a very good idea if immediate vet care is not available. The stuff works like a charm (Someone gave me some to use at a show when I suffered a nasty bite wound.)

In this case, it sounds like gluing at home "might" be an option, but it's hard to say, especially without a photo.

I have seen some nasty tear wounds heal with just the application of ointment. Since this wound is so small, the ointment "might" also be sufficient.

Pam
Savlon is a anti disinfectant for humans, But The pet shop I got this little rabbit in has a guinea pig that keeps getting in fights but they won't seperate it and it has had it's side ripped open twice but it healed pretty well I just hope I'm as lucky. I think her pattern is what people would call a Vienna?

Do you have access to Betadine? That's the best for skin cuts in terms of warding off infection. (It's the red stuff they use to wash skin before surgery).

I've found that cuts heal amazingly fast in rabbits, but they do have to be kept disinfected. I'd like to see a pic, too, but offhand I'd say you can do without the vet visit with the proper care, as noted above.

sas :clover:

Pipp wrote:
Do you have access to Betadine? That's the best for skin cuts in terms of warding off infection.

I've found that cuts heal amazingly fast in rabbits, but they do have to be kept disinfected. I'd like to see a pic, too, but offhand I'd say you can do without the vet visit with the proper care, as noted above.

sas :clover:
Thank god I really don't think I could afford the vet, I will try get ahold of betadine tomorrow.

Salvon should be similar to betadine. You could get a liquid bandage (here called New Skin) to seal it up. I wouldn't use that brush anymore or try to brush through matts without softening them up a bit first. Personally, if I had a bunny with matts I'd just cut them off.

Good luck. it can be very tempting to save bunnies that are in danger but sometimes we need to realize our financial constraints and what we can actually do to help realistically. I do think that with some New Skin and cleaning the wound he could be better.

I am usually very careful with cutting out knots (dealing with a severily knotted angora at the moment) I often find it's hard to distiguish where the matted knot ends and the skin begins. I just pull the tangles apart with my fingers and when they have come far enough off the skin then brush them or cut them out as a last resort

If you're fighting with matting in the fur, it would be best if you could slip a very thin comb between the mat and the skin, then remove with scissors (scissors won't be in contact with skin.. Decreases the chances of accidentally scratching or cutting the paper thin skin

Latest posts

Back