Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Roger had a sore hock i used the neosporinplus would put vasoline to coat his fur with. I use card board for hiscage but would like to get a resting mat for him.

Cristy

Do you guys find the metal bottom cages to bebetter even though sometimes the buns get hurt from them?? Peppy andMaggie's cage as plastic bottom, yes, harder to clean but they can layand jump in it all they want without hurting themselves.

MyBunnyLovesMe wrote:
Do you guys find the metal bottom cages to be better eventhough sometimes the buns get hurt from them?? Peppy and Maggie's cageas plastic bottom, yes, harder to clean but they can lay and jump in itall they want without hurting themselves.

The metal is easier to keep clean, however, rabbits can get sore hockson any surface. In 15 years of raising Holland Lops on wirecage, I believe I've only had 2 with sore hocks. (and we've had 1000'sof rabbits)

Pam

I prefer wire-bottom. Without it, Peanut gets"pancake butt" (where poops get stuck in the thick fur around herbottom). They do have places to get up off the wire floor, and it justseems to be more sanitary. Rex has some problems with his feet, but Ithink that's due to poor fur covering on his footsies. He had sorehocks when he wasn't in a wire floored cage
icon_rolleyes.gif

I have always kept my bunnies on a wire floor.Actully i noticed the Sore hock on Roger in the first week i had him soits something that might have been there when i adopted him.My hubby joked around that i adopted a broke bunny.

Cristy

Pam, the iodine says it ispoisonous, is it okay if Nepo licks a little bit when I put it on hisfeet?

I looked at his foot and is doing really goodwithout treatment. It is pink and fur is starting to grow back. I'llbuy the resting foot pad to put on his cage floor.

*nepo* wrote:
Pam, the iodine says it is poisonous,is it okay if Nepo licks a little bit when I put it on his feet?

I looked at his foot and is doing really goodwithout treatment. It is pink and fur is starting to grow back. I'llbuy the resting foot pad to put on his cage floor.

It won't hurt any thing if he licks his foot, although I like to put alittle hay in or give them a treat to distract their attention awayfrom licking the medication thatI just put on.

Pam

The sore is really hiddenaway by hair and there is no more bleeding. He doesn't lickitas much as yesterday, but he can't put his whole weight onhis hurt foot. He can hop though. Is it necessary to put the iodine onhim?It is liquid. :)

Rub a little of the iodine on his feet. Put hay/straw on the bottom of his cage over the resting mat.

Pam

Latest posts

Back