Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*nepo*

Reaction score
When I came home from schoolI saw blood on Nepo's wood box. I know he didn't hurt himself on thewood box or anything I saw it a long time ago. I was going to put flouron his foot to stop the blood, but my brother said it already stopped.He has four little spots of blood on the box (they are like half thesize of a dime). Is there something I should do for him so it curesfaster? I heard putting newspaper on the wire floor wouldn't be goodbeacuse the newspaper might get dirty and cause an infection. Plus hewould eat it and that isn't good. The sore hock ( is that what they'recalled?) is about the size of the blood spots.

You can put Preparation H on his foot. It helpsrelieve the soreness. I would also invest in a foot pad. They reallyare very useful for buns who have a tendency to get sore hocks. If youcant find a foot pad...you can cut a piece of cardboard and put in inhis cage so he has somewhere to stand off the wire.

Lanna

I wouldn't panick. I believe I saw a thread thatsaid you can put Neosporin on bunny wounds but I am not 100%positive... I believe it was a post about an eye infection byshowrabbits. At any rate I wouldn't be overly concerned right now and Iam sure Pamnock or some other savvy person can help you better than Ican. I hope Nepo feels better, give him lots of love!

Fergi's mom

Is it Neosporin or Polysporin...or both? I know I put polysporin on Peppys foot when his nail broke off....:?

What is a "foot pad" exactly? Because Rex has thesame problem. His sores aren't open, but they're still red andirritated looking (and they were from 3 years ago!). They have plentyof spots to get off the wire floor, but his feet still look a littlesore :(

m.e. wrote:
Whatis a "foot pad" exactly? Because Rex has the same problem. His soresaren't open, but they're still red and irritated looking (and they werefrom 3 years ago!). They have plenty of spots to get off the wirefloor, but his feet still look a little sore :(
Hereis a picture of a foot pad. Mini rex are prone to getting sore hocks.They dont tolerate being on wire bottom cages as well as other buns. Itseems like I am constantly treatingRexi for them. As soon asI get them cleared up they come back again...despite the foot pad.Charlie on the other hand has never had them. I think some buns aremore predisposed to them than others.

Either/or and PrepH, as well. One canbuy little foam covers for finger wounds that would help keepthe foot off the wire, but, in truth, most times I tried to use themthe buns would pull/kick them off. Might be worth a try,though.

Buck

I'm reading another posts. Ithink he has a callous (sp?) instead because he just has a pink spotwith fur around ( he is licking it constantly). I'll try to got to thepharmacy and buy the creams today. Nepo is receiving love and kisses:). Would Hydrogen Peroxide work?

*nepo* wrote:
I'm reading another posts. I think hehas a callous (sp?) instead because he just has a pink spot with furaround ( he is licking it constantly).... Would Hydrogen Peroxide work?
Callous would not account for the blood you found in thecage. Constant licking suggests irritability of one kind oranother. Hydrogen peroxide would work to disinfectthe wound, but might be painful. Salves would work better, inmy estimation.

Buck

m.e. wrote:
Whatis a "foot pad" exactly? Because Rex has the same problem. His soresaren't open, but they're still red and irritated looking (and they werefrom 3 years ago!). They have plenty of spots to get off the wirefloor, but his feet still look a little sore :(
A lot of websites call them resting pads.

Petsmart here only sells little green ones that hooktogether. I hate them! I went to Tractor Supply Co.and found the kindlanna pictured :) It's great!

We took Max withsore hockstothe vet and he gave her an anti inflammatory injection, she was fineafter a week. Cost us 30quid though! :?

I hope Nepo's okay!

Ang xx

I'm going to the pharmacylaterto buy iodine, preparation H, or anti fungal cream.Thanks for all the help I'll post how he is doing tomorrow:).

I foundanantifungal powder spray that I already had. It says that ifit is swallowed to get medical help or contact a poison control centerright away. The active ingredient is Tolnaffate 1%, and the inactiveingredients are: alcohol SD-40-2 ( 14% w/w), BHT, isobutane,PPG-buteth-16, talc. I sounds kind of strong,should I useit?

I cant answer that....sorry. I've never used anantifungal on my buns so I wont advise something I havent done myself.I dont know what kind of affect and antifungal would have on it.

To be honest...I dont believe it will help at all since I dontthink sore hocks isfungal. The fact that it's bleeding meansthat it's an open wound and can get infected so an antibiotic creammight help, but that'stotally differentfrom anantifungal.

The reason I suggested Prep H is because I've used it in the past andit seems to alleviate any pain the bun might be in. The Prep H has ananti-inflammatoryin it.

Lanna

Neosporin makes an antibiotic ointment with pain reliever in it also.

It works really well .... I know..... I've been using it on 2 bad burns I got around Christmas.....

Iodine is a frequently used treatment -- especially effective if there is a fungal infection involved.

I adopted my friends black Mini Rex recently and he had a mild case ofopen/bleeding sore hocks. I applied Sevin Garden dust to thehocks and put plastic mats in the cage. The sores clearedright up.

In more serious cases, bacterial infections can spread up the legs andantibiotic injections are required. This is why it isimportant to treat sore hocks as soon as they are noticed.

It is not uncommon for Mini Rex to have callouses on theirfeet. As long as they are not red, swollen, or cracked, anoccasional treatment of iodine is all that is recommended to preventinfection.

Surprisingly, sore hocks are common in Angoras, despite their thicklywool padded feet. Sore hocks can also be common in very largebreeds.

More info:

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/sorehocks.htm

Relax Resting Boards -- Great for rabbits with sore hocks!

http://www.bassequipment.com/plasticpans.htm

Pam

Latest posts

Back