HELP!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you try gentle massage? Stick to the lower and middle part of the abdomen, avoid the areas near the rib cage.

Try giving her warm fluids.

And as noted, keep her warm. Try getting her moving as well, than can break upgas bubbles.

The swelling ofthe abdomen can be gas,or fluids, or I'm sure other things. I think if it was bloat, she'd bemore lethargic and grinding her teeth.

Any type of pain will cause their temperature to drop.

At this stage, if it's bloat, nothing can be done anyway, so massaging theabdomen is worth the risk. It normally takes a good hour of massaging to get them a decent amount of relief.

You should knowwithin a few minutes, though, if it's making her feel better or worse. If she likes it or tolerates it (after getting used to the idea) keep it up. If it seems to hurt her, stop immediately.

sas :pray:

Unfortunately there is nothing I can advise for you to do at home without veterinary treatment other than to keep him warm, give a baby aspirin and encourage to exercise.
if there is any way that you can get simethicone at walgreens that most likely would help him.

When you get the simethicone you can give her up to 1 ml of it ..let her run around after that or gently rub her tummy but very gently..if she doesn't improve in about an hr you can give her another ml of the simethicone in the syringe.
wait a while as before and then after a few more hours you can repeat that dosage,
if she is not better by morning your mom may realize how serious the condition is and take you to the vet .

good luck hon..you're very brave.

How strong are the tablets? The 1ml thing is for liquid gas meds.

You can probably give her between a half and a whole tablet if they're regular strength (40 to 60 mg suspension). They're pretty safe, hard to overdose. The drug isn'tabsorbed by the body. So you may need to mix it with more warm water than 1 ml. The amount of the water doesn't matter with the tablet. Just use whatever it takes to dissolve it without watering it down too much so that she has to drink a ton of water to get all the medication.

How is she doing?

sas :?

She dosent want to move around much.

and she is breathing kind of heavy.

My mom did call 3 vets and NONE of them know ANYTHING about rabbits.She called 2 places in akron and one around my house.She didnt get close to 1m

She spits it out.I put it in the back of her mouth and it came back out.

She has her tail up and u can see how she's trying to poop but cant.:(

And i have 2 blankets on her to keep her warm.

So should i give it to her in about an hour agian? its 4:00 in the morning so i guess i wont be getting much sleep tonight;)

Can you crush the tablet and mix it in a bit of water? Just 2ml of water max? Use your syringe to suck it up and put in her mouth.

She may be trying to pass the gas.

Did you get her to take pretty much a whole tablet?

Gently massaging her abdomen for a nice long stretch will definitely help. (It's past the point of being bloat, you're most likely dealing with gas).

And yes, give her more in an hour.

sas :clover:

We called are vet this morning at home.

She said to give her fluids then wait 42 min and give her Mineral Oil.

About 20 mins. after she started pooping!!!!!!!!!!

And know her belly is half the size it was and she feels alot better!!

I am really really glad that your bun is better. :)this treatment is similar to using laxatone a hairball remedy
Using mineral oil worked so I know that you will want to continue to use it. Using laxatone is safer as you rub it on your rabbit's paws and she eats it off

There is one thing thatI want to say and please listen carefully.
it is very very easy for a bun to take a breath and inhale the oil into her lungs. You have to be extremely careful that if you are going to continue to give it to her that you do it slowly and make sure that she swallows it when you give it to her. You can use a small syringe and give only a small amount at a time.

This is not a recommended treatment anymore
It has been used before butmost people will not use mineral oil because it is so very easy for the bun to inhale the oil and get aspiration pneumonia.

That was one of the places we called.

Dr. Gary Riggs I think is the one was their and he said e dosent know and he heard u can give them something to relaxe them.

He didnt know much.

12animaluv34 wrote:
That was one of the places we called.

Dr. Gary Riggs I think is the one was their and he said e dosent know and he heard u can give them something to relaxe them.

He didnt know much.

Then you did not talk to Dr. Riggs. He has treated rabbits as his specialty for over 20 years. In addition to his own exotic animal practice, he lectures throughout Ohio on rabbit health issues. He also works with the Akron Zoo. In addition to all that, his surgical specialty is orthopedics and he has pioneered several ortho pedic surgeries in rabbit.

You must be exceptionally confused about who you spoke to. To state 'he sisn't know much' about Dr. Riggs is either gross ignorance on your partor an outrageous lie.

I am not lying and dont like to be called ignorance or a lier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHY would i lie about that?????????????????????????????????????????????????

Im assuming Seniorcats was probably offended because she knows this vet to be very rabbit savvy.Are yousure you werent just mistaken about who you spoke to? Maybe it was another vet in that office? Or in another office with a similar name?

Regardless, how is she doing now? Is she ok?

I hear it all the time from people who visit inexperienced vets, but I still cannot believe vets are recommending things like mineral oil and laxatone for rabbits. Both are highly dangerous and can prove to be fatal. I would never use any of these products on my rabbits.

She is doing great!!

By the next day she was back to her normal self.

I didnt want to give her the mineral oil but i was running out of options and time.Before i gave it to her she looked pretty bad.She was just laying their cold and started to breath heavy so i thought i would give it a try!!

Back