HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazel

Reaction score
Today I took Hazel out to trim her nails, and while giving her a look over I noticed she had a bit of red liquid near her genitals. I realized it was most probably blood. Not quite a drop, more like a little speck, but then I realized her left (with her on her back) side of her vaginal opening was a little pinker and swollen. I had to go to work, so I planned to get her neosporin and maybe giver her butt a little bath to see if I could see the area a little better.

When I got home, the area was even pinker and the entire thing was swollen. I put her butt in the water and put her in a towel and had the neosporin to put a little on. When I flipper her over, I realize the area all around was a bright pink/red color.

I'm freaking out. Our "emergency" vet doesn't really deal with rabbits and I can't get her in until at least 3 tomorrow.

I would really love some tips, help anything. I'm freaking out majorly. I'm so worried about her. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, but she won't let you touch the area. Anything??

How old is she and is she spayed? Is she bonded with anyone else?

I'm not sure what advice to give, other than make sure she stays hydrated and eating. Try to get as much information as possible for the vet visit.

--Dawn

She's 6 mos and she's not spayed yet, that's coming soon. She's bonded to Flopsy, and my first thought was a fight, but with the redness in the entire area, and no visible bite marks, I'm thinking that's not right.

Thanks for the tip for the vet, that's definitely a good idea.

When a doe is really ready to breed she will get swollen in that area - and she's at the age where she might be getting ready to breed.

Not sure about the blood though....never heard of that.

Peg

It was just the tiniest speck of dried blood.

Would she be red around the area though? Like not the actually vagina itself, but the area around that? That's what is freaking me out.

Could you describe that in better detail though? The swelling in the area when she's ready to breed? She did hump a toy and poor Flopsy today so... maybe... *prays*

So it turns out hazel probably has...

bunny syphilis!!! :(:(:(:(

So she's getting pen-g shots and a cream rubbed aroun own there.

I also have to watch Flopsy's face for any sores or anything! :( I feel awful for my poor buns, :(

It may not be syphilis though, just because there was no crustiness or anything, but if it's another type of infection, the pen shoul kill it.

In better news, hopefully I get to meet Randy this Sunay and he's going to have a look at Hazel, :)

Well, I kinda thought that.

Poor Hazel!

I suspect she didn't get it from a toilet seat....... ;)

Poor Hazel! Bunny syphilis, eh? I wonder where she picked that up... Will she be okay now?

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Poor Hazel! Bunny syphilis, eh? I wonder where she picked that up... Will she be okay now?

She probably got it from her mother... >.<

The vet said she's never seen it return after being treated with pen, but it could come back I guess if she ever got really stressed. (ie, it'll be dormant, she won't be able to spread it or anything, she'll just have it floating in her system)

Unfortunately, she pretty much HATES me right now, :(

She has been through everything poor little babe, :( Eye drops 2x a day, which she hated, now shots that hurt, :( She actually did something she had NEVER done before, when I reached in to pick her up today she grunted an then lunged at my hand.... It was horrible. I wanted to cry. She was always the one who comes up for pets and treats and never made a sound when you picked her up. She would only "nudge bite" to let you know she was sick of whatever it is you were doing.

I'm really upset about this, :( I'm hoping with time she'll go back to normal... but I don't know... it took her awhile after the eye drops, and that was only shying away from you. Now.... lunging? Growling? Arhg. I want my cuddle bun back, :( I feel so awful for her, :'(

Yeah, but if you were sore the way she is sore...... you'd be kinda witchy too don't ya think?

She'll be your cuddle bun again soon ...

Yeah, the shot supposedly burns like heck so... :( But the thing that worries me is we're going to have to give it to her multiple times, and I'm worried she's going to lose all trust in us, :(

After the eye rops, she eventually would come to us again, but in a much more cautious way....

I thought Hazel had syphillys. It turns out it definitely wasn't. When the swelling went down I was able to find what I'm pretty positive is a bite. Hazel and Flopsy have been seperated since the original issue anyway. I guess the hormones finally caught up to them and even with the bonding, they just couldn't deal with the humping. I'll be happy when they're spayed and can be together again. For now we have a seperater in the cage so they can still be together.

Now I'm wondering if I should treat it the same. I mean the bite definitely caused an infection, so the penicillin helped her with that. But I'm wondering if she needs the other 2 shots. Any ideas?

It's always a very good idea to finish a course of antibiotics, and I would guess this holds true in this case as well.

Antibiotics stopped and startedcan make them lose their effectiveness on that rabbit in the future even if treated for another issue.

Poor bunny! Poor bunny mommy!!

sas :bunnydance:

Yeah, that's how I always feel about antibiotics (had it drilled into me since I was a toddler, my dad's a doctor, haha) but it's penicillin. Is it the same type of antiboitic? Because I know some people(or buns) may get just one shot to help with something and that's it....

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and see what they say, but I'm hoping they're not going to ask for me to bring her in again. I don't know if I'll be able to because school ends Friday for spring break and we're leaving, and I have work and stuff before that... >.< Oh well, we'll see

Thanks! I feel like an awful bunny mother for letting it happen. But the buns are sooo weird. They're completely bonded to each other, grooming, can't be apart, etc, but then the humping bc of the hormones gets out of control and they fight. I'm just glad they're in a pen now so I can seperate them but leave them together too. >.< Crazy buns. And poor bitten Hazel, :(

Poor Hazel! I'm glad to hear she doesn't have syphilis though! Medicating them is so hard because they don't know you're helping :( Maybe you could praise her like mad and give her treats immediately after she gets a shot?

Get better soon, Hazel, and I hope you and Flopsy get along great after you're spayed!

Latest posts

Back