HELP??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

India

Reaction score
I am very depressed at the moment :(Ilost my beautiful blue Rex, last week he was only 7 months old. It wasreally strange because I gave Dylan his food in the morning, and by theevening he was in real pain, so we rushed him to the vets at 10pm atnight. And the vet said it was something he had eaten,he hadno gas build up, and the vet said his tummy was empty. He didn't havethe runsor anything.

The vet took him in and observed him over night, and gave him allmanner of injections, but he didn't make it. He collapsed in the earlyhours, and his heart just gave up.

I have lost 2 of my favourite Rabbits in the last 6 months, I justdon't know what the problem is, is it what I feed them, or is it justcoincidence. What can I do to keep my Rabbits healthy, and to keep themto a right old age.

I had a rabbit when I was a child, and he lived till he was 7, we justfed him on Rabbit Mix, and the occasional carrot, once or twice a week,and he was absolutely fine. I fed him once a day, and he seemed to befine.

I am so depressed, because I don't want to loose anymore of my beautiful babies, what should I do. PLEASE HELP. :(

:bigtears::bigtears:My heart is just aching at the moment.

India, I'm very sorry for your loss. Binkie free Dylan :rainbow:.

What kind of pellets did you feed him? How old washe? Were you also feeding alot of timothy hay? Hayis ultimately important for the rabbit's health. Was hepooping and peeing normally?

Hi

I feed him Rabbit Royale. Its a Rabbit Mix. He was 7 months old:(Yes I fed him hay everyday, really good quality hay. Yes hewas peeing and pooing absolutley fine.

I am so very sorry. I believe that youhave done your best in caring for your rabbits and I hope that you'llbe able to share your love with another soon.

Pam

I'm so sorry for your loss. Binky free, Dylan.:pink iris:

Could you tell us what his diet was like? Could he have eatensomething in your yard or house that might have been poisonous?

Also, are your rabbits vaccinated for both myxomatosis andVHD? VHD is known to cause sudden, unexplainabledeaths. I don't recommend using the homeopathic vaccinebecause it's not proven to work and I know someone who used that wholost several rabbits to VHD this year. I don't think I knowof anybody loosing a rabbit to VHD that had the normal vaccine.

Did you ask your vet to do a necropsy? That's an autopsy foranimals. The vet could test for VHD, and could check forheart problems or other issues that might have caused this.

Edit: I just saw your second post. I don'trecommend feeding a mix food, but I doubt it caused such a sudden death.

I fed him greens and carrots, and a small amount of rabbit mix. Once a day.

I didnt have him vaccinated to VHD or myxomatosis. I should of had anautopsy done. But we were in such a state of shock, and it happened soquick.

The vet said it was something he had eaten, I cant understand what it was.

Rabbits dont go down hill that quickly do they.

Sometimes they do. Sometimes a young,otherwise healthy rabbit actually has a serious condition such as aheart defect which causes them to die very suddenly. It'svery unfortunate, and I wish we had a way to detect these problems.

:hug2:

Unfortunately, it really sounds like VHD. VHD isvery common in England and other parts of Europe, and we're luckyenough to not have it that often in America.

I highly recommend you get your rabbits you have now the vaccinationfor VHD and myxo. They're both fast killers, VHD is even faster and thevaccination is worth saving your babies lives.

I'm very sorry about your baby :(

I feed OxbowT, there is also Oxbow Bunny Basicsfor young buns. Other members on here feed Kayteepellets. Those two are about the best.:) You wantto feed the plain pellets only, not a mix with the treats init. This is actually not good for them.:)

Hi India

So sorry to hear your sad news and that you've had to go through this twice in such a short space of time.

You asked what we are feeding our bunnies - someone has mentioned Oxbowand Kaytee - but I don't think they're available over here in the UK -I use Excel pellets and hay with veggies (which my vet recommends) butmy rescue bun, Neddy, is fed mostly muesli as that's what he was eatingat the rescue and I don't want to upset his tummy.

I'm sure you did your very best for your bunnies - sometimes things just don't work out no matter what we do.

I feed my babies and there mumExcel,they are 6 weeks old. And I feed the other Rabbits, Rabbit Royale. I amvery worried about this VHD virus, I hope thats not whatDylandied from.

Back