Help with very young mama

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do the babies look today? Are the forced feedings helping? Do they look less dehydrated? Sometimes it takes a day or two for a does milk to fulling drop. But the nursing (even forced) will encourage it. (Helps her body release the hormones needed for milk production.)

They look really good. I'm pretty convinced that she's not feeding them at all. I am considering bringing them in because it's supposed to get really hot here for the next few days. I wonder if I should bring her in with them, or just do as other suggest and bring just them in. I really feel that if she's not harming them, that I should keep them together.

If they lookreally good, they must be getting enough nutrition. So whatever you're doing must be OK.

If it's going to be very hot (like over 90) during the day,I'd bring in the nestbox. Leave momma outside if you think she will be OK. It might be less stressful on herto leave her in her cage. Provide her with a frozen water bottle or put a fan near her to keep the air moving. Bring the nestbox out to her to make her nurse 2-3 times a day. If it cools off at night, I'd leave the babies for the evening.

That's what I was thinking-the next two days will be over 95. It will cool off at night, so I'll put them back in then. Thanks so much everyone!

Ok-here are some pics.

Poppy's (not shown) 3 day old mini rex broken blue and solid blue kits

kits_day3.jpg

kit_1.jpg

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I had the babies inside for the past three days due to record breaking heat. I took them out and "forced" Poppy to feed them. Last night it cooled off enough to leave them in with her. This morning I went to check on them and they had full round bellies, and were sleeping peacefully. :biggrin2:She figured out what to do!

Changed my name, but it's still me :D Here are some pics of Poppy and her kits @ 10 days-sorry the pics aren't great, they're jumpy little bunnies! Poppy's coat looks pretty bad (and she needs a nail trim), but the poor mama wasn't getting taken care of where she came from. After she weans, we'll get her in tip top condition :)

IMG_5051_1672.jpg

This is the nicest colored kit

IMG_5052_1673.jpg

IMG_5054_1675.jpg

IMG_5055_1676.jpg

IMG_5056_1677.jpg

Very healthy looking babies! Poppy must be doing a great job. (Can't fault her for looking a bit out of sorts... She has 4 BABIES to take care of!)

You're right, the first baby is beautifully marked. Lovely "butterfly" marking! Good job on the photo's! (Thanks for sharing!)

Poppy is sort of a diluted blue, and has an odd orange shade on the back of her neck. If I had been buying her for breeding, I would have passed her up. One of the broken kits is muted blue, and the other has the same odd orange on it's neck. The blue is hard to tell at this point. The top broken though does have a nice butterfly, and the color is nice and deep without being too dark. To bad they aren't papered, but maybe a 4-H kid will want that one to show. The others will be great pets :D

Latest posts

Back