Help with Pet insurance

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myia09

Reaction score
So, I have right now Shelter Care for Wyatt and basically it isnt' worth the cost.

I want to got with United Pet Care Choice 2000

http://www.unitedpetcare.com/state.php?gid=arizona

For at LEAST Wyatt (My cat)

I have 3 rabbits, and I can't afford to cover all 3.

Do I do the basic (60.00 a year for all 3) that only covers 10% of costs? It would still only be about a $5 savings per exam. It doesn't seem worth it to me at all.

Or do I get teh Choice 2000 for *just* Chewy, who has shown signs of illness in the past? It covers 20-25% of all costs, and her annual check up would only be $25 (compared to $50)

It is only $25 a month to cover both Wyatt and Chewy.

Then again, it is only $13 just to cover Wyatt.

Any suggestions?

I usually just set up a savings account and put what I would normally pay for insurance into it.

This way if there is ever an accident, I'll have enough money. or in your case to help pay off some of the cost for the check ups.

Well, so do I. But when you can save a lot of money by taking a low cost insurance, it is def worth it if something goes really wrong that you can't afford. I also have care credit on hand to help pay for vet bills.

My friend is a vet tech and she never recommends getting pet insurance. It doesn't usually cover enough of the costs, or somethings aren't covered at all. If your animal already has a condition that condition probably won't be covered. If something goes really wrong you have to check to make sure how much if their emergency treatment would be covered etc.

Its better to take the 15-25$/month you'd spend and put it in a high return savings account. At the end of the first year you'll have 180-300$. I started a savings account for my animals(dog, rabbit, turtle) and it really adds up over the years and now I have a nice emergency fund, plus I take out money for their vet stuff.

Well, I see where that is coming from but with United Pet Care you go to a vet that is pre approved. So when you go in, you get 20-25% off the prices automatically. No forms or waiting.

United Pet care covers illnesses before and after you get the insurance (and even spays and nueters)
With UPC everything IS discounted. All procedures. So let's say I take in my cat for an emergency, Pecan Grove already knows I am getting 25% off and takes it off right away.

I also do have an emergency fund, as stated above, but Wyatt just for a check up cost $160...if there was an emergency the 180-300 I saved in a year would be no where near to cover the expenses. That money woul be spent actually on thier annual check ups :p

And Pecan Grove is one of the best clinics here in AZ with good prices...

I talked it over with my boyfreind and we are for sure taking it out for our cat.

Yikes, why does it cost 160$ for a checkup!

I guess if you've done the math and its covering more then you pay annually then its worth it.

I just know that here where i live and with the insurance companies that were available, it definitely wasn't worth it.

$160 is WAY off the scale, and I'm in the boonies, with very few vets.
Checkups are $40-50 in my area - maybe it's time to do a bit of comparison shopping?

(I could see having a higher price for the exotics, but a cat??)

It was 160 for the medicene. They actually waived the $50 exam fee because he was a rescue. I got shots, de wormer, flushed ears for mites (which was 40 in itself), a antibiotic shot, and a 14 day of at home antibiotics. That's about normal price. I should have clarified that.

I still don't know what to do :/

Just do the math and calculate if it covers enough of the yearly medical costs to justify paying the monthly/yearly fees. Then check how much of emergency treatments it might cover, or things like cancer treatments and see if its worth it over saving your own money.

If your animal is sick or needs expensive treatment each year then and they will cover it, then it might be worth it. Just write out a budget and see if it all adds up.

Back