Help with NIC cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyRabbit33

Reaction score
I've been wanting to make a NIC cage for myrabbit, but, is it easy? I dont like the cage he is in now and i thinkhe'd be so happy in a NIC cage, but idk if i can do it. If you've madeone, how was it? Thanks.

Hi! NIC cages are very fun to make and prettysimple! You can make is as simple or complex as you like. Mine arePretty simple 3x4 pens (Now Poppys is 4x4 and Pebbles has an extra gridto the width)

My first NIC cage (changed a lot since then)

81722b40.jpg

Poppys NIC cage (Changed too)

Bunnypictures-Leanne186.jpg

Spring, I love your setup there! I wish I could do that, but the darn cat would get in and bother the buns:disgust:.

I am going to make two 3x2 until they are bonded. The onesthey're in now aren't really big enough. The dining roomtable will probably get the boot:whistling.

I just made a very basic one today,got the cubes from Bed Bath and Beyond, 12 for 14.00 plus I had a 5.00coupon so it was a deal plus it is the only place in my town to buythem. I couldn't get the coroplast for the bottombecause it is Sunday and the sign store that sells it isn't open so Ibought a vinyl table cloth at BB&B, layed that on the floor,vinyl side up, made the cage on top of that and folded the table clothup to make corners so that pee won't leak out onto thecarpet. I made this one just 2 X 3 cubes, the cubes at 14inches square. It's not huge but it is alot bigger than thecage that she was in so she is happy. My next step will be togo up a level but for now she is happy and still very little.Her cage is in my 18 year old daughters room, she is away for theweekend and I didn't want to shock her to much. Maybe thenext times she goes away I will add a level : )It's very simple, just snap the cubes together.

Joy

Thanks for the reply Spring. I love your set-up,I want to make something like poppy's NIC cage with a 2nd floor and adoor instead of an opening. I guess it should be easy, i think i mighttry it. :?

i have a NIC cage setup right now with an added onx-pen for additional room for the buns to play in.

100_0820.jpg

here is the link to the NIC cages only photo thread, this might give you some ideas:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15348&forum_id=21

i think that when i move (in 2 weeks) i am going to rebuild my cage andtake detailed, step-by step photos of how i built it, i personally knowof a few people around here (northern michigan) that have showninterest in learning how to build them. when i do it, i will post thephotos. . . and directions!

i *think* that there is a thread about trixie's cage (rosie's newbunny), but i have no clue were it is, but if i remember correctly ithad directions in it for trixie NIC cage, and it has to be one of thebest setups i have seen yet. . .i will look for it. . .

Hi!

Making an NIC cage is rather easy, but takes a bit ofplanning. With each of our three cages (and with theexpansion of Flower's cage), I was sure to draw out diagrams, makeabsolutely sure of what we needed, made two lists (because my hubby didthe buying during the many visits he makes to hardware places duringthe week as an electrician, and calls while he's there to be sure ofthings), and made sure all measurements were correct, etc.Each of the cages (and the expansion) took two people, but were quiteeasy to construct!

Here are a few links to help you out. There are some thathave instructions, and some that have good ideas for NIC cagedesigns. (The best part about an NIC cage is the fact thatyou can take what ideas you like from everyone's cage designs and makesomething that best suits you and your bunny.)

Here's what our cages look like. Let me know if you'd like tosee more detail of each cage, and I'll take individual pictures lateron to show better what the levels are and such.
000_0015.jpg

000_0011.jpg

000_0012.jpg

Here's the section from the Bunny 101 section of the forum about NIC Cages (LOTS of good links there on NIC cages):
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11792&forum_id=17

And here's what one member posted as far as her own instructions (likeI said, you can just combine what you like from each link, and make itto your own needs) Page 2 has lots of good pictures of thecage, and page 3 has the instructions:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12961&forum_id=6&page=2

As for my own...I used zip ties as connectors, simple (uncovered)pegboard for the floors (as I discovered Flower eating the linoleumstick-on tiles I originally used), and put galvanized wire mesh aroundthe outside to keep my two curious kitties' paws from being insertedinto the cages. Another good thing about NIC cages is thefact that you can use binder clips to clip things onto the cage toprohibit things like food dumping, litter pan scooting, etc.If you want to know more about those and the wire mesh, let me know andI'll let you know exactly how I did those things. :)

So, there ya go! :D I hope all that helps!! :)

Hugs!

Rosie*

BinkyRabbit33 wrote:
I've been wanting tomake a NIC cage for my rabbit, but, is it easy? I dont like the cage heis in now and i think he'd be so happy in a NIC cage, but idk if i cando it. If you've made one, how was it? Thanks.

Thanks everyone! im looking to make what Kat has except with no pen. Where did you guys buy your set of cubes from? thanks :)

The cheapest place to get the shelving (cubes)is Target. You get a pack of 23 for 12.99! They come in white, black,blue and chrome. They are in the shelving/storage area and I thinktheyre called "Organize It" shelving.

i got mine at target. . . they are avalible inmost store, and the shipping on these thing to order them is reallyhigh (as the boxes are heavy). . .it is far cheaper to go to the storeand look around. you can also get them at walmart, bed, bath, andbeyond, i am sure there are more places, but those are my optionsaround here.

my cage uses 38 pannels, i *think*. . .

so you will need, 2 maybe 3 boxes. . .

and around 500 zip ties (you won't use that many, but there were timeswhen i made mistakes and had to rezip tie things, so it is helpfull tohave extra).

the the door i use the hook/clasp things that are on the end of a dogleash. . .i got them with my x-pen. . .i have no idea where to getmore, but i am currently looking.

you will also need some L-bracket things, this give support to the shelf. i would get between 2 and 4.

i started to type out how to build it, but it sounded way tocomplicated. . . like i said, when i move in 2 weeks i will get photosas i build. . .it really wasn't that hard. . .just took some time. . .

I think i'm going to make a 3x 2 NICcage with a 2nd level and have a mat under it. Its going to be about 42inches long and 28 inches wide with the type of cubes im getting. If ido decide to do this i'll post pics of the progress and outcome. thanksto everyone's advice! :thanks:

i am currently using a fleece blanket folded upa few times, but many rabbits will chew this (i am just lucky enough tohave buns that aren't into chewing things they shouldn't)

pegboard is a good and popular choice. . .coroplast(sp?) is another andcan be bought for rather cheap. carpet cut to fit the level issomething i have used before (again, if you buns is a chewer, not agood option), and plywood that is covered with those peel and sticktiles is another good choice.

as far as bringing these cages outside. . .i personally would findsomething a little more stable then these. . .i wouldn't worry aboutrust, but i know that if a dog really wanted inside this cage, theycould get into it, so unless you would be outthere with them 24/7 theni wouldn't use it as an outdoor run without making it more secure

Hey guys, i decided to go through with making aNIC cage. I will probably just cover the second floor with cardboardcut to size. Anyway I'll post pics of everything when I get thesupplies and start building. Thanks for all the helpful advice.:bunnydance:

I've been keeping out with this topic all day, having made one today I have been interested in what others have done.

I have built NIC cages before, twice, both for guinea pigs (guinea pigpeople call them cavy cages) for guinea pigs because the cages arefilled with bedding you need to make sides out of thecoroplast. I have noticed that with the bun cages alot of youdon't have sides at all, you just have the coroplast or whatever on thebottom. How does this work if the bun isn't totallylitter trained, don't you have pee running out onto thefloor? I have to go get my coroplast tomorrow, weatherpermitting, it is storming here in Northern Michigan today.It would be alot easier if I didn't have to cut the coroplast to makethe corners but I worry about leakage. Today isLucys first day with a litter box because her other cage was to small,I put it right under her hay basket because I read of somebody elsedoing that. It does work when she is eating hay becausenaturally she poops right there but when she is eating her pellets shepoops right there by her bowl. I haven't checked ina little while but the last time I did her cage was dry so I don't knowif she has gone in the litter box or not at all. Ikind of strategically place stuff around her cage so she would beforced to use the corner where the box is, hopefully it willwork. Not having to do the sides with the coroplastwould be a huge help. The side would help keep thepoop and hay in too though I guess. Oh, just incase you haven't seen a cavy cage, the sides only go up a few inches,not all the way.

What are your experiences with this?

Thanks, Joy

many people don't add sides to their rabbitscages, but most people have already litter trained rabbits. i would saythat if your rabbit isn't completely litter trained, and you would liketo keep any mess contained, then add the sides.

i will be getting coroplast for my cage soon and plan on having sidesto it, only because my rabbits make amess with their hay andi am a little bit of a neat freak and don't want the mess when i moveout!

and omg is it storming in northern michigan right now. . . i am dreading my drive to work tomorrow!

Where are you in Michigan? We are inPetoskey, my daughter was on her way home from Grand Rapids thisafternoon and called me from THE DITCH. " Mom, we are off theroad and don't know what to do" thank goodness shewas with a friend so I told her to call 911 and stay put.They were outside of Cadillac and her boyfriend lives in Cadillac so heand his father drove out to get the girls after the police and towtruckhad been there. Good Grief, about gave me a heartattack.

Latest posts

Back